The 60s and 70s

Not one you'd have heard of but very successful all the same. Both my parents were singers and had a showband.The two of them plus my sister and me and a backing band,aptly named Family Affair.Even though it was the "hippy" period,show bands were still big business and we regularly worked five nights a week for about ten years,good money and adults doing all the hard work!!My interests were always towards the folk-rock genre and later on I moved more in that direction,and went on to work with Martin Carthy,Dick Gaughan,Julie Felix,Jake Thackeray among others too numerous to mention.
Julie Felix, I have made her breakfast on a couple of occasions, not what you think though, a good mate of mine was a folk music promoter and she used to stop at his place, we would sit up all hours and she would sing for us and play guitar, strange days! ( late 80`s )

Nostalgia illuminates even the shittiest of times. The food was shit, the telly was a shit. Attitudes to people who were different were shit. Comedians were shit, apart from a select few. Wallpaper was horrendous. Council houses were freezing and shit. Hair cuts, flares, collars on shirts wider than a 747 wingspan. Platform.shoes, high waisters. You could only see highlights of games on a weekly basis. My mother bought carpets with designs that should be considered war crimes. I was only a kid but looking at the older guys with their tragic haircuts and preposterous clobber made me fee blessed I was too young to be stained with the worst fashion our species has ever come up with.

No, keep your nostalgia and rose coloured specs, it was a brown time. A drab time. A time that we should use as a benchmark of where we dont want to be in so many aspects of life. Good to look back and laugh about, but scratch away at the surface of how it really was and you unearth an intolerant country, whose people all looked ridiculous.
fun3332.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.