The 60s and 70s

Society was far less divided and more equal. You could pretty much leave one job and walk into another. The NHS worked well, you could usually get to see a doctor same day. Train fares were reasonable - no need to book weeks in advance. If you went sick your giros came through regularly, it was not seen as a crime against the state.

We were, in absolute terms, rather poorer than now - I am talking about people with jobs. Cars were unreliable and most young people couldn't afford one - if they could it was a banger. Racism was more mainstream and unchallenged. If you were gay, you would probably be persecuted and have to live on the margins. Women were (compared to today) definitely second-class citizens - although a woman who wanted to stay home and look after her kids would not be seen as a scrounger but quite normal. Food choice was much poorer - eating out in an actual restaurant was quite a big occasion for the average Joe, and the main "takeaway" was fish and chips. The housing stock was shocking - typically full of draughts, and freezing cold in winter. It was "posh" to have central heating.

If I was young, I would sooner be back there - more opportunity and in most areas of life fewer puritanical wankers telling you what to do. Being my actual age, I prefer the here and now.
I don’t think women who choose to be home makers now are seen as scroungers, not if their husband/partner is supporting both.

I think that’s a pretty selfless decision.

I don’t think women who choose to be home makers now are seen as scroungers, not if their husband/partner is supporting both.

I think that’s a pretty selfless decision.

The point is, society is now set up to get them back in work again ASAP - whether they want to or not. Indeed, it is set up so that most families need two wages to get by.

The point is, society is now set up to get them back in work again ASAP - whether they want to or not. Indeed, it is set up so that most families need two wages to get by.
Agree with you entirely on that.

I don’t think they’re shamed but there certainly are too many pressures.

Nostalgia illuminates even the shittiest of times. The food was shit, the telly was a shit. Attitudes to people who were different were shit. Comedians were shit, apart from a select few. Wallpaper was horrendous. Council houses were freezing and shit. Hair cuts, flares, collars on shirts wider than a 747 wingspan. Platform.shoes, high waisters. You could only see highlights of games on a weekly basis. My mother bought carpets with designs that should be considered war crimes. I was only a kid but looking at the older guys with their tragic haircuts and preposterous clobber made me fee blessed I was too young to be stained with the worst fashion our species has ever come up with.

No, keep your nostalgia and rose coloured specs, it was a brown time. A drab time. A time that we should use as a benchmark of where we dont want to be in so many aspects of life. Good to look back and laugh about, but scratch away at the surface of how it really was and you unearth an intolerant country, whose people all looked ridiculous.

Last edited:
Nostalgia illuminates even the shittiest of times. The food was shit, the telly was a shit. Attitudes to people who were different were shit. Comedians were shit, apart from a select few. Wallpaper was horrendous. Council houses were freezing and shit. Hair cuts, flares, collars on shirts wider than a 747 wingspan. Platform.shoes, high waisters. You could only see highlights of games on a weekly basis. My mother bought carpets with designs that should be considered war crimes. I was only a kid but looking at the older guys with their tragic haircuts and preposterous clobber made me fee blessed I was too young to be stained with the worst fashion our species has ever come up with.

No, keep your nostalgia and rose coloured specs, it was a brown time. A drab time. A time that we should use as a benchmark of where we dont want to be in so many aspects of life. Good to look back and laugh about, but scratch away at the surface of how it really was and you unearth an intolerant country, whose people all looked ridiculous.
thats jockland for you ;-)

Haha, well said

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.