The 60s and 70s

Nostalgia illuminates even the shittiest of times. The food was shit, the telly was a shit. Attitudes to people who were different were shit. Comedians were shit, apart from a select few. Wallpaper was horrendous. Council houses were freezing and shit. Hair cuts, flares, collars on shirts wider than a 747 wingspan. Platform.shoes, high waisters. You could only see highlights of games on a weekly basis. My mother bought carpets with designs that should be considered war crimes. I was only a kid but looking at the older guys with their tragic haircuts and preposterous clobber made me fee blessed I was too young to be stained with the worst fashion our species has ever come up with.

No, keep your nostalgia and rose coloured specs, it was a brown time. A drab time. A time that we should use as a benchmark of where we dont want to be in so many aspects of life. Good to look back and laugh about, but scratch away at the surface of how it really was and you unearth an intolerant country, whose people all looked ridiculous.
It might've been shit....

But we loved it.:)

When the mini skirts came out, following behind the girls walking up
the steps of double decker buses was a proper bonus in the '60's.

miniskirt.jpg

Going to City was a completely different experience. As was going out in general. In 30 to 40 years I wonder if people will look back on this period and have the same kind of memories. Maybe people always do. I do think the character and characters have largely disappeared from Manchester. Seems like London lite to me these days and when I spent a period in London in the eighties I loved coming back here and the City fans arriving for an awayday.

Going to City was a completely different experience. As was going out in general. In 30 to 40 years I wonder if people will look back on this period and have the same kind of memories. Maybe people always do. I do think the character and characters have largely disappeared from Manchester. Seems like London lite to me these days and when I spent a period in London in the eighties I loved coming back here and the City fans arriving for an awayday.

I agree with that. Manchester gets more like London everyday. And conformity gets stronger by the day, so there are fewer characters.

All our buildings are gradually being replaced by concrete and glass boxes - and as for civic pride... What's that?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.