The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

Red – King Crimson

Another prog album to review, but at least in this case, they have kept the album running time to a respectable sub-hour and their opus is a mere 12 minutes!

There’s a lot I like about this album. It’s very dramatic and features lots of subtle and some not-so-subtle shifts in tone. The woodwind and sax is also welcome. “Red” and “One More Red Nightmare” feature some dynamic guitars. “Fallen Angel” has an epic feel and the melody that opens “Starless” is superb, as is most of the rest of the song. It could do with an edit, of course, because I don’t think that what happens justifies its running time. I don’t think John Wetton is an amazing vocalist, but I preferred his style to Peter Gabriel’s’ theatrics.

Then there’s “Providence”. Whilst it does eventually get going, I didn’t really appreciate listening to them all tuning their instruments. This phrase has been mentioned several times, including very recently, but it seems to be becoming a bit of a theme and is very fitting here. I appreciate some good instrumental passages but in this case, it feels overindulgent and there’s no forward or even sideways momentum whilst it’s going on. You’d think that somebody would have walked into the studio and coughed politely on the two-minute mark. Then after another two minutes of skull-crushing tedium, you’d have expected some less patient soul to deliver a swift kick in the knackers to get them bloody playing.

A comparison with Genesis is mandatory as we are listening back-to-back. King Crimson have a less annoying vocalist and I like their sound more, but these prog rock bands are exposing a flaw in my own scoring system. I like them enough to enjoy repeat listens but there’s nothing here that puts them on the level of the Led Zeppelin or Oasis offerings (which I scored at 8) let alone my favourites (which would be 9 and 10).

Therefore, just like Genesis, I’ll give them a 7.

Red is fantastic!

For whatever reason I missed this classic when growing up - only to discover it 2 years or so ago.

I first experienced the band when listening - also about 2 years ago - "In the Court of the Crimson King" - another fantastic album.

Anyhow - I love "Red" - and recommend that those who have not listened to the album yet - do so.

Edit - I rate this album as 9.5/10

Last edited:
A comparison with Genesis is mandatory as we are listening back-to-back. King Crimson have a less annoying vocalist and I like their sound more,
I think Yes is a more apt comparison musically. Bruford and Wetton both had spells with them in fact I think Bruford is my favourite Yes drummer. Musically you can certainly see some similarities, in fact listening to the track Red reminds me a little of 'heart of the sunrise' in terms of its musical construction.

'Dont worry Peter, its Phil the nasty man is talking about' ;-)

'Dont worry Peter, its Phil the nasty man is talking about' ;-)
Unfortunately, it isn't. Think I've mentioned this before but as a "newbie" music fan in 1986, I was suckered into buying So on the strength of "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time". I don't know what it is, but generally, I don't like Mr Gabriel, the odd track aside. "Solsbury Hill" was OK.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it isn't. Think I've mentioned this before but as a "newbie" music fan in 1986, I was suckered into buying So on the strength of "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time". I don't know what it is, but generally, I don't like Mr Gabriel, the odd track aside. "Solsberry Hill" was OK.
I know it wasn't mate. He has done some lovely stuff in his solo career and also some dross.

MY favourite PG song is this, and I offer it up to you in case you like it :-)

I know it wasn't mate. He has done some lovely stuff in his solo career and also some dross.

MY favourite PG song is this, and I offer it up to you in case you like it :-)

Just had a listen and I like that a lot. Cheers. On that track he just sings without any theatrics and he sounds much better for it. The music is really good as well. Some nice acoustic guitar and builds up with some great keyboard backing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.