The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

I thought about that one...I have around five in my head now. Does it have to be an album that's not in the 1000?
No. As long as it’s not already been selected on here, or on the Top 1100 thread, that’s fine.

CSM was / is one of the most pretentious rock journos. The opinion you refer to is a crock for a start. He could write entertainingly at times though, that it is true. At least Max Bell liked the Blue Oyster Cult.
I liked the debut album. Still have Liar on a playlist. I did think they did the best in depth interviews although Melody Maker was good at times.

No. As long as it’s not already been selected on here, or on the Top 1100 thread, that’s fine.
I was just thinking, it'd be a bit of a shitter if my album gets randomly picked the week after. What are the chances? 1180/1? haha. I think that's right, anyway. I need to get planning! This reminds me of getting English homework from school; "write an essay on your what is favourite album and why" !!! ...I've got that nervous feeling. Fuck it...I'm wagging it.

I was just thinking, it'd be a bit of a shitter if my album gets randomly picked the week after. What are the chances? 1180/1? haha. I think that's right, anyway. I need to get planning! This reminds me of getting English homework from school; "write an essay on your what is favourite album and why" !!! ...I've got that nervous feeling. Fuck it...I'm wagging it.
Come on, we're all friends in here. It doesn't have to be Dickensian. Just write from the heart and tell us why you like it. Anyway, you've got a whole month to come up with your masterpiece.

Come on, we're all friends in here. It doesn't have to be Dickensian. Just write from the heart and tell us why you like it. Anyway, you've got a whole month to come up with your masterpiece.
Will do, blue. A month!!

I've listened to this album before, but to be fair it was quite a few years ago.

I was never a big Oasis fan until I saw them live at Maine Rd in the mid-90s. My Mum got us tickets to go and see them as a surprise, but she didn't realise I wasn't a fan! I went down anyway, not expecting too much - I quite liked a few songs though. I think Ocean Colour Scene supported them and in truth, I was more interested in seeing them than Oasis at the time..!

Oasis came on and absolutely blew me away that night and I became a big fan of theirs, they were absolutely brilliant. I've always maintained that that night, they were the best band on the planet and I got to see them. Most of us will never get to see "that moment", but anyone who was their that night saw it, here in Manchester and specifically at Maine Road! I remember looking up at The Kippax and thinking "this is what it must be like on the pitch"!

Anyway, I then really got into them and loved Definitely Maybe and What's the story. But if I'm honest, the stuff they did after that never seemed as good. It always seemed to me that they made the same songs over again, and in truth I just let them slip away for a bit. Everything I hear from the Gallaghers afterward never sounded as good as early Oasis anyway.

So, today I banged the headphones on in work and I actually enjoyed listening to the album as I'd not heard it in years. Acquiesce, Half the world away, Talk Tonight and Masterplan were the highlights for me. It's amazing to think a song like Acquiesce wasn't a single in itself, which shows how good they were in the mid-90s.

Overall it was nice to hear an old friend again, but I don't think I'd be coming back again to it. Oasis at their best are amazing and I'm not sure that this compares to their first two albums. In some ways, it's like when we reviewed Help by The Beatles - it's a good album, but you know it's not their best. Either way though, it shows just how many great B-sides they did.

It's a 7/10 from me.

I've listened to this album before, but to be fair it was quite a few years ago.

I was never a big Oasis fan until I saw them live at Maine Rd in the mid-90s. My Mum got us tickets to go and see them as a surprise, but she didn't realise I wasn't a fan! I went down anyway, not expecting too much - I quite liked a few songs though. I think Ocean Colour Scene supported them and in truth, I was more interested in seeing them than Oasis at the time..!

Oasis came on and absolutely blew me away that night and I became a big fan of theirs, they were absolutely brilliant. I've always maintained that that night, they were the best band on the planet and I got to see them. Most of us will never get to see "that moment", but anyone who was their that night saw it, here in Manchester and specifically at Maine Road! I remember looking up at The Kippax and thinking "this is what it must be like on the pitch"!
Anyway, I then really got into them and loved Definitely Maybe and What's the story. But if I'm honest, the stuff they did after that never seemed as good. It always seemed to me that they made the same songs over again, and in truth I just let them slip away for a bit. Everything I hear from the Gallaghers afterward never sounded as good as early Oasis anyway.

So, today I banged the headphones on in work and I actually enjoyed listening to the album as I'd not heard it in years. Acquiesce, Half the world away, Talk Tonight and Masterplan were the highlights for me. It's amazing to think a song like Acquiesce wasn't a single in itself, which shows how good they were in the mid-90s.

Overall it was nice to hear an old friend again, but I don't think I'd be coming back again to it. Oasis at their best are amazing and I'm not sure that this compares to their first two albums. In some ways, it's like when we reviewed Help by The Beatles - it's a good album, but you know it's not their best. Either way though, it shows just how many great B-sides they did.

It's a 7/10 from me.
Nice.
Even though I rate this higher than you do, I can't argue with your reasoning at all, the sign of a good review.
This record will mean different things to people, and will bring some personal memories back, not least of which, your Maine road tale, which I'm extremely jealous of.

I may as well carry on now seeing as I've started.

I never got to see them live (I'm not good with crowds, never have been, especially semi disorganised ones) but I remember the impact this band had on most of us at the time. It's easy to forget how good they were, the headlines and associated shennanagans often masked the actual talent they had.

But listen to this collection of "forgotten" tunes and you're quickly reminded of how good Noel was/ is as a songwriter, and what a frontman Liam was.

I think ng has written 10 + no.1 albums? More than a few of which came out pre- internet/ Spotify era, when you had to actually go to the shops to buy a record.
Can't really argue with his body of work.

Liams solo career has had its ups and downs, but he's just announced big gigs for next year, and seems to have finally found his peace and settled down.

This album doesn't have a bad track on it imo. It's an Up, down, riffy, catchy, singalongy joy, and I'd argue it's a more rounded album than def maybe, which lets face it, has a couple of stinkers on it.

We all love a liam at his best vocal dont we, and hearing them all together today was brilliant.
I've got most of the CD singles featuring these tracks, I always thought at the time they were a bit special, the "b" sides were usually very good. Worth buying just for them.

Be honest, who thought of the royale family when 'half the world away' came on?
I did, which reminded me of Caroline and what a talent she was. Married to hooky too. Big circle of talent, and lots of happy memories.

Even that walrus cover is great.
Most of you know this album or the sum of its content inside out, so I'll leave the track by track analysis to others who maybe are not too familiar, looking forward to it.

Important album with regard to the legacy of the band, and will be remembered more fondly as time goes by and people look back at a great period in musical history.

Rambling now but I'm struggling for a reason not to give this a 10.
So it's a 10 then.
10/10.

Nice.
Even though I rate this higher than you do, I can't argue with your reasoning at all, the sign of a good review.
This record will mean different things to people, and will bring some personal memories back, not least of which, your Maine road tale, which I'm extremely jealous of.

I may as well carry on now seeing as I've started.

I never got to see them live (I'm not good with crowds, never have been, especially semi disorganised ones) but I remember the impact this band had on most of us at the time. It's easy to forget how good they were, the headlines and associated shennanagans often masked the actual talent they had.

But listen to this collection of "forgotten" tunes and you're quickly reminded of how good Noel was/ is as a songwriter, and what a frontman Liam was.

I think ng has written 10 + no.1 albums? More than a few of which came out pre- internet/ Spotify era, when you had to actually go to the shops to buy a record.
Can't really argue with his body of work.

Liams solo career has had its ups and downs, but he's just announced big gigs for next year, and seems to have finally found his peace and settled down.

This album doesn't have a bad track on it imo. It's an Up, down, riffy, catchy, singalongy joy, and I'd argue it's a more rounded album than def maybe, which lets face it, has a couple of stinkers on it.

We all love a liam at his best vocal dont we, and hearing them all together today was brilliant.
I've got most of the CD singles featuring these tracks, I always thought at the time they were a bit special, the "b" sides were usually very good. Worth buying just for them.

Be honest, who thought of the royale family when 'half the world away' came on?
I did, which reminded me of Caroline and what a talent she was. Married to hooky too. Big circle of talent, and lots of happy memories.

Even that walrus cover is great.
Most of you know this album or the sum of its content inside out, so I'll leave the track by track analysis to others who maybe are not too familiar, looking forward to it.

Important album with regard to the legacy of the band, and will be remembered more fondly as time goes by and people look back at a great period in musical history.

Rambling now but I'm struggling for a reason not to give this a 10.
So it's a 10 then.
10/10.
Great right up that @crublue1 and you're dead right that all these albums mean different things to all people! I totally agree Noel is a great songwriter and Liam is a great frontman - at their peak they were formidable. I also think you're right about the B-sides as I don't remember many any other bands having good B-sides at the time. Oasis "did a Beatles" and put many songs on their B-sides which could easily have been A-sides.

It was a great time to be young in the 90s, the amount of great bands who were around and in their prime - Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Pulp, Portishead, Rage Against The Machine, Ocean Colour Scene, Beck, Bjork, etc etc! Oasis were a band who, like the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays as well as City and United put Manchester firmly at the cultural centre of the UK.

Great write up mate, really enjoyed reading it! :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.