The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

Sorry not for me.
Brave choice but not my scene at all.
Never found one track interesting at all.
My run of high scores comes to an end.Sorry for the lowest score possible
but not one track grabbed my attention and found it a hard listen.
Could only listen to twice.Enough is enough. 1/10
It's definitely not for everyone and can imagine some people will absolutely hate it! :D

People On Sunday – Domenique Dumont

I’ll agree with @GoatersLeftShin on one thing here – this is not an album about individual tracks, it’s more about the overall feeling that the music evokes. There’s certainly not a lot of track-to-track variation, and despite what he says, he is becoming a bit of a master of the ambient nomination.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with what’s on offer here, but I enjoyed People On Sunday less than the previous offerings in this vein, Michael Stearns and Air. In the case of the former, I enjoyed the warm textures of the analog instruments and in the latter case, I enjoyed the fact that Air added a bit of pop and rhythm to the pot.

I appreciate that people listen to music for different reasons. I was more than happy to let this wash over me as I bashed away at the keyboard, and it would definitely be a good album to fall asleep to. But ultimately, I listen to music for one reason only: to get wrapped up in the story or what the instruments are doing. Hell, unlike foggy, I certainly don’t even listen to music to dance to! This music didn’t really give me anything in that regard. Yet I still won’t give it less than a 6 because there is certainly a skill in putting this kind of stuff together in way that doesn’t make me want to turn it off, and I’d rather listen to this than some bland 80s indie keyboard stuff. 6/10.

EDIT:
Actually, I am finding "We Almost Got Lost" quite involving!

Apologies again for being awol in recent weeks - normality is slowly returning.
Behind the scenes I rather enjoyed the Alison Moorer offering. Probably a bit too country and not enough blues for me, but female vocals in general I find quite pleasant.
Pale Fountains was a blast from the past. An album I own and a band I saw at a strip club in Birmingham back in the day (that’s my excuse for going to such a venue anyway!). Reacquainting was not as pleasurable as I anticipated. It’s all a bit samey and bland - some decent tracks here and there but also too many annoying ones.
I’ll give the new offering a try out and hopefully get a score in - from @bennyboy ‘s comments I don’t think it’s my thing but I will listen with open ears.
Hope all are well and up beat after this weeks disappointment. Football is just a game as annoying as that statement is

Apologies again for being awol in recent weeks - normality is slowly returning.
Behind the scenes I rather enjoyed the Alison Moorer offering. Probably a bit too country and not enough blues for me, but female vocals in general I find quite pleasant.
Pale Fountains was a blast from the past. An album I own and a band I saw at a strip club in Birmingham back in the day (that’s my excuse for going to such a venue anyway!). Reacquainting was not as pleasurable as I anticipated. It’s all a bit samey and bland - some decent tracks here and there but also too many annoying ones.
I’ll give the new offering a try out and hopefully get a score in - from @bennyboy ‘s comments I don’t think it’s my thing but I will listen with open ears.
Hope all are well and up beat after this weeks disappointment. Football is just a game as annoying as that statement is
Good to see you back in here, mate. Hope things stay settled at home.

As for this week's loss - I thought after last season that if we didn't win anything this year, I'd be quite content, as long as we were challenging. To go out to Real Madrid is no shame, even if we did get the better of them and probably should have won.

Shows how far we have come when we "only" have a league and cup double to play for!!!!!!

Good to see you back in here, mate. Hope things stay settled at home.
Echoing those sentiments too for GD.
As for this week's loss - I thought after last season that if we didn't win anything this year, I'd be quite content, as long as we were challenging. To go out to Real Madrid is no shame, even if we did get the better of them and probably should have won.
I was fearing the worst and already thinking of PKs as the match went into extra time. I don't think that was wrong given how RM was playing. Some chances were there, just not enough to finish.
Shows how far we have come when we "only" have a league and cup double to play for!!!!!!
Agreed entirely, and that league would come with a 4x streak that's never been done before.

I've said all season that the EPL was #1 in my book for that reason, and I'm still grateful for Sunday's results. Now to finish...

I enjoyed the first listen to this week's DD selection. I had it on in the background, and the "Sunshine in 1929" I recogni(s)ed right away. Agreed, it was more of a feeling overall listening to it as I couldn't name tracks on their own, but I know I got a lot of work done while it played. Repeated listens required still...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.