The Album Review Club - Week #118 - (page 1399) - Pacific Street - The Pale Fountains

Can't recall how I came to first hear of JCM. I am sure I had heard "Pink Houses / Jack & Diane" but had never really appreciated them or gone out of my way to sample more of whoever it was that had made them. However, Paper in Fire hit home and made me go out and buy the the album...gotta love a nice gatefold album.
I was so impressed that I actually headed up to Hammersmith without a ticket when I found out he was playing there. Paying a tout £50 for the pleasure of getting in.
The Lonesome Jubilee has been a regular in the car and at home ever since. Me thinking it was so good that it is one of the few albums that I actually duplicated, buying the CD aswell as having the original vinyl.
Gets a 10/10 from me

Can't recall how I came to first hear of JCM. I am sure I had heard "Pink Houses / Jack & Diane" but had never really appreciated them or gone out of my way to sample more of whoever it was that had made them. However, Paper in Fire hit home and made me go out and buy the the album...gotta love a nice gatefold album.
I was so impressed that I actually headed up to Hammersmith without a ticket when I found out he was playing there. Paying a tout £50 for the pleasure of getting in.
The Lonesome Jubilee has been a regular in the car and at home ever since. Me thinking it was so good that it is one of the few albums that I actually duplicated, buying the CD aswell as having the original vinyl.
Gets a 10/10 from me
Cheers. I was so fast in the switch from vinyl to CD (less than 12 months after I started buying albums) that I only ever had TLJ on CD. However, I seem to remember seeing the gatefold vinyl and it was a thing of beauty.

I've given it a listen...it's just not my thing, though. I've never really liked American soft rock or rock/country. In fact, looking through my record collection, the only American bands in there are the Doors and Beach Boys albums!
I still like Jack and Diane (I just have to go and learn the little guitar riff now!)...and he hasn't changed much since then, has he?
Sounds like a decent album...well played, good production, good voice, ...but just not my thing. Do we score out of ten? I'll give it a neutral 5.
Learnt it:
(Acoustic Guitar) Jack And Diane
e|5-7---4---4-4--|2--2---4---5-4--xx-|5-7---4--4-4-xx-|2--4--5--5-5-xx-|
B|5-5---5---5-5--|3--3---5---5-5--xx-|5-5---5--5-5-xx-|3--5--5--5-5-xx-|
G|6-6---4---4-4--|2--2---4---4-4--xx-|6-6---4--4-4-xx-|2--4--6--6-6-xx-|
D|---------------|-------------------|----------------|----------------|x2
A|---------------|-------------------|----------------|----------------|
E|---------------|-------------------|----------------|----------------|

Last edited:
Been a fan of JM since I first heard Jack & Diane, then Crumblin' Down, Pink Houses, etc. Lonesome Jubilee contains one of my all time favourite songs, Paper In Fire, but that whole album sounded absolutely awesome in '87, back in the days when I had a decent hi-fi!
9 out of 10.

John Mellencamp might not be quite as deep as Springsteen or Cash, but he’s no middlebrow. He’s perpetually well-meaning, like Tom Petty was and Dave Grohl is, and there aren’t that many (any maybe) rock voices for the plaints of rural America, unless you count Neil Young, who’s Canadian anyhow, and whose songs about urban life jar me harder anyway.

JM isn’t subtle, and he’s not edgy. But the music gets his message across, and it’s unique. The soul-inflected back-up singers and the “found instrument” aspect of this record are really winning. They almost make it seem like JM is fronting a pick-up band, walking through a small town serenading passers-by. It’s a carefully-crafted approach. I wasn’t surprised to see Rob’s further comments about him being a studio obsessive. But he’s also legitimately a man of the people, unlike Boston’s uber-nerd Tom Scholz, another studio obsessive, and that shows well. In that regard, the closest comparison I can think of is John Fogerty of CCR.

Stylistically Lonesome Jubilee is not so much me — and it would probably be better to hear this live (as some of you have indicated). I like crunchier guitars, and faster tempos. But Rob is right that there aren’t really any clunkers here musically. The hits in the States were “Cherry Bomb”, “Paper and Fire” and “Check It Out”, and they all still sound good, especially the last, because the snare drum takes over. Of the songs I didn’t know, “We Are The People” has a kind of preciousness (since it’s effectively a prayer) that annoys me some lyrically, but as a tune, it works. Same with “Down and Out In Paradise”, which again carries a lack of subtlety (“Dear Mister President . . .”) that may be necessary to convey the message in 1987 but sounds uncomfortable in the age of Trumpian politics. But “The Real Life” I liked more. For whatever reason the lyrics strike me as more relatable, maybe because demanding relief from suffering from someone is different than conveying that you need relief via a character, and I find the latter a more effective approach in a pop song. My favo(u)rite of the ones I didn’t know is “Hot Dogs and Hamburgers” which would get by on the title alone (pretty much the diet of the weekend everywhere in America!) and has a real Heartbreakers chord progression which is always going to hit me in the right place.

Unopposed as I am to barbecues and farmers, and well-meaning musicians who voice concerns others don’t or won’t, I found this a reasonable listen even though musically it’s not necessarily my speed. I am going 7/10 because I think Mr. Mellencamp deserves credit for quality, care and intent.

John Mellencamp might not be quite as deep as Springsteen or Cash, but he’s no middlebrow. He’s perpetually well-meaning, like Tom Petty was and Dave Grohl is, and there aren’t that many (any maybe) rock voices for the plaints of rural America, unless you count Neil Young, who’s Canadian anyhow, and whose songs about urban life jar me harder anyway.

JM isn’t subtle, and he’s not edgy. But the music gets his message across, and it’s unique. The soul-inflected back-up singers and the “found instrument” aspect of this record are really winning. They almost make it seem like JM is fronting a pick-up band, walking through a small town serenading passers-by. It’s a carefully-crafted approach. I wasn’t surprised to see Rob’s further comments about him being a studio obsessive. But he’s also legitimately a man of the people, unlike Boston’s uber-nerd Tom Scholz, another studio obsessive, and that shows well. In that regard, the closest comparison I can think of is John Fogerty of CCR.

Stylistically Lonesome Jubilee is not so much me — and it would probably be better to hear this live (as some of you have indicated). I like crunchier guitars, and faster tempos. But Rob is right that there aren’t really any clunkers here musically. The hits in the States were “Cherry Bomb”, “Paper and Fire” and “Check It Out”, and they all still sound good, especially the last, because the snare drum takes over. Of the songs I didn’t know, “We Are The People” has a kind of preciousness (since it’s effectively a prayer) that annoys me some lyrically, but as a tune, it works. Same with “Down and Out In Paradise”, which again carries a lack of subtlety (“Dear Mister President . . .”) that may be necessary to convey the message in 1987 but sounds uncomfortable in the age of Trumpian politics. But “The Real Life” I liked more. For whatever reason the lyrics strike me as more relatable, maybe because demanding relief from suffering from someone is different than conveying that you need relief via a character, and I find the latter a more effective approach in a pop song. My favo(u)rite of the ones I didn’t know is “Hot Dogs and Hamburgers” which would get by on the title alone (pretty much the diet of the weekend everywhere in America!) and has a real Heartbreakers chord progression which is always going to hit me in the right place.

Unopposed as I am to barbecues and farmers, and well-meaning musicians who voice concerns others don’t or won’t, I found this a reasonable listen even though musically it’s not necessarily my speed. I am going 7/10 because I think Mr. Mellencamp deserves credit for quality, care and intent.
Great analysis as usual and yes, the John Fogerty comparsion works well. I read JF's biography a few years ago and, like Mellencamp, he seem a thoroughly decent bloke as well as being a great writer.

Do you write for Rolling Stone mate?
I sat down to write my review and just read yours. I seriously need to up my game :-)
Be back in a few hours.

Ok. I come at this review with little prior knowledge of John J Mellencamp, John Cougar, Johnny Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp or John Mellencamp. Other than his singles that I would recognise if I heard them but be unable to place the artist, I am a blank canvas.

In 1987 when this album was released I was 30 with 3 kids under 10 and a pretty time precious lifestyle which put listening to albums far far further down the pecking order than it had been before or since.
I remember 1987 for the Joshua Tree, for Bad, for Faith and particularly for Prince's Sign o the Times.

In prep for this review, I did read a bit about the artist and he seems to be very sincere about his music, his political beliefs and his values and I was looking forward to hearing that come through on this album, and it did, albeit I thought his lyrics lacked the subtlety of Springsteen at his best. What I really liked was the musical arrangements. From what I read, the band sat down before the album was made and agreed in detail how they would like it to sound. They utterly succeeded. I am a complete sucker for any kind of celtic music so the inclusion of violins, mandolins and accordion were really evocative in lifting the country rock feel. The production created a decent sound stage and I could easily pick out the placement of each instrument. Of the tracks, there were none that annoyed and none that particularly stood out as exceptional - I enjoyed them all. The instrumentation on each was what resonated most. What did strike me was the almost jaunty appalachian rock was in stark contrast to many of the lyrics that addressed social issues in quite a fatalistic way. Compare that jauntiness with the stark folk style of Springsteens masterpiece Nebraska.

I inevitably compared JM and this album to my favourite US singer/songwriters like Springsteen to help me determine a score. So where would I place this against Springsteens best? Not as good but I will give it a 7 which for me is a very high score for an album I haven't listened to before.

Certainly I liked it enough to play it again, probably when I am in a Springsteen mood but want something a little less familiar. I liked it enough to explore some of his other stuff, particularly his work with T Bone Burnett who I have a great affection for.

So for introducing me to something new, thanks @RobMCFC .

I thought I recognised this Album before and I've just checked back and it made the Top 100 Bluemoon Albums at 95th! also I recall the opener 'Paper In Fire' being nominated on here before - what a cracking catchy song! definitely a bit of Springsteen in this and throughout , he really does sound like him.
'Check It Out' I think I enjoyed the most, like the rest of the Album just a lovely sound and a quality guitar/music section half way through - Springsteen on good form here, oops. 'Cherry Bomb' another pick -lovely Violin and tempo throughout

Not many Albums you can listen to for the 1st time and enjoy (believe me, i should know) - I can only say it's all just a bit nice and clean for my own personal liking but that's not really a criticism but if i do have to find a negative then it would be that there is nothing ground-breaking here.

It's a very solid 'good'

7/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.