The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

I have to say I don’t get ambient music.
I can understand it’s use in a documentary on the universe as a backdrop to pictures of the Orion Nebula etc. or as a drone flies and pans it’s cameras over the Grand Canyon. It might be useful playing softly in the background as you meditate in an isolation tank but on its own as a stand alone piece of music it does absolutely nothing for me. I just cannot engage with it at any level. It reminds me of a long bus trip I once took in Morocco to Fez. The drive was through mile after mile of desert and mountainous background where the horizon was such that the sky and the land bled together. Throughout the journey the driver played Jean Michel Jarre music through the tinny bus speakers. It made me aware how powerfully terrifying sound can be when used as part of sensory deprivation torture. Whilst this piece is far better than the Jarre music that day it’s not something I would ever want to listen to again.
2 points.

I've done a similar bus journey, Chefchaouen to Fez, although mid 80's, so had no need to be tortured by the driver.

Oh no, I did that all by myself.

Exhibit A. One Walkman.
Exhibit B. One tape. Slippery when wet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.