The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

Planetary Unfolding – Michael Stearns

This is quite unlike any other album that I have listened to before, which is a great plus for this thread, so thanks for nominating it @GoatersLeftShin.

The tone of this album reminded me of the “Space Intro” piece that immediately precedes the song “Fly Like An Eagle” by the Steve Miller Band. I like songs like this, a bit of spacey keyboards that form the backdrop onto which the band add bass, drums, vocals and some nice guitar solos. Obviously, this album doesn’t have any guitars, drums or bass, and there are only limited vocals, so at times, it feels like I’m listening to the early development of an album where the engineer is tracking the basics before the other elements have been added.

Yet whilst it feels like there’s something missing, I quite enjoyed the experience. I actually listened to the album three times through, twice on headphones and once through the desktop speakers. It’s no surprise to find out that Michael Stearns composes soundtracks for films and documentaries – whether it is a film about space exploration, animals out in the desert or some deep ocean dive, this music would fit the bill perfectly against the backdrop of an IMAX screen.

Despite the “spaciness” of it all, I found the music very warm and organic. I’m not sure how much I’ll listen again in the future, but I certainly enjoyed it more than I expected, so I’ll give it a 7/10.

As the middle of my own leaderboard is now congested with 6s and 7s, I’ll say that only the Led Zeppelin and Oasis albums are ranked higher for the albums that I’ve rated on this thread.

I got briefly side tracked last night.
Was going to give this another outing to relax me before sleep, but strayed into other parts of the forum I should have left alone.

I ended up listening to something else which thankfully had the calming effect, I required. (This may well get an airing on the 11th of January)

So after tying up a loose end or two, I settled back again this afternoon and this time really turned up the volume.
I won’t go overly verbose this time around. I’ve done enough of that.

This from Neil Peart (Hemispheres) came to mind :

I have memory and awareness
But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit
I am dead, and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus
As was told in days of old
To the city of immortals
Marble white and purest gold.

I like it and want to score it high but the pragmatic in me knows that this is not really music to me in the truest sense and I will not in all honesty find a place for it in my life. It is a soundscape that requires a visual and currently I have the luxury of finding time and a space to create that visual in my own mind.
This is not something I will however, put on in the background, for others or myself.

I’m toying with a 7 but feel that is unfair to others who have been judged by me, perhaps more critically. Therein lies my problem with marking anything, regarding musical taste. I don’t think giving it a seven would make this better music than others that have scored less. It just shows how it piqued interest, for me anyhow.

I’ll go with 6/10.
The week is young.

This is totally different to anything I normally listen to,which is main point of this thread.We all have different tastes,tbh i’m ambivalent to this album.I don’t dislike it but I wouldn’t want to listen to it again.As others have said it sounds like a soundtrack to something and I think I needs something visual to give it focus.

good choice though

5/10

Many pieces, such as the title track, would function as background music for a planetarium show, leaving plenty of room for the calm narration voice.
This puts me in mind of the recent Universe serious. Michael Stearns' Planetary Unfolding consists of spacey, ambient electronic meanderings. In its slow pace and gradual buildups, I am reminded of a smoother, substantially more ambient and somewhat more new age-leaning take on the sort of musical territory visited in Zeit by Tangerine Dream. And album from the 70s.
I must admit I've never got into ambient music as for me it has no Melody and the most important thing for me in music is Melody.
It's a bit like avant garde jazz I don't really get it.
Then again I don't get opera or things by Lloyd Webber.
It's great though that posters choose these kinds of albums. And not just mainstream stuff.
4/10

Many pieces, such as the title track, would function as background music for a planetarium show, leaving plenty of room for the calm narration voice.
This puts me in mind of the recent Universe serious. Michael Stearns' Planetary Unfolding consists of spacey, ambient electronic meanderings. In its slow pace and gradual buildups, I am reminded of a smoother, substantially more ambient and somewhat more new age-leaning take on the sort of musical territory visited in Zeit by Tangerine Dream. And album from the 70s.
I must admit I've never got into ambient music as for me it has no Melody and the most important thing for me in music is Melody.
It's a bit like avant garde jazz I don't really get it.
Then again I don't get opera or things by Lloyd Webber.
It's great though that posters choose these kinds of albums. And not just mainstream stuff.
4/10
That's where my head is - kind of feels like we should be exploring the seas or space as the accompanying visual (this is not as effective when your actual visual is driving in a prolonged 50MPH restriction South bound on the M6)..........

I struggled with this. Must admit I wasn't in the best frame of mind first time I listened to it which might have subtly prejudiced me. Being mindful that it was only available on youtube I'd googled how to link same to my sonos system to give it the best chance. I inadvertently then got side tracked into taking out a free youtube music account (£12.99 recurring monthly or something like that if you forget to cancel) only to find out it isn't available on their dedicated musical channel although they had the same Michael Stearns that are available on Apple and Spotify. Begs the question if this is his "classic" why not have this available over the others. Anyhow...

I was reduced to listening to it the first time on my phone while attending to a bit of computer work but found this beset by irritating technical problems, much huffing and puffing by me accompanied by a sound that didn't seem to change. Every so often I'd be consciously wondering when is it going to get going only to eventually check how long it had been on for to see that it was nearly done and it had effectively passed me by.

I'm an early riser so yesterday having first checked in on the cricket and seen that our bowlers where being twatted all over the place I thought the better option would be to give this another listen so tuned into youtube on my TV which is connected to a sonos soundbar so better quality guaranteed. I like being up early mornings before anyone else (apart from the second son who was out at 5.30 for his 6pm start delivering food to the idles classes for Ocado) and find it a relaxing time. I guess I was half rather than fully attentive to the music while catching up on the political and music threads on bluemoon but again very few if any changes of tone or pace to the music were apparent to me.

I don't really get ambient music. I've listened in the past to Air and others of that ilk and never been impressed enough to permanently download anything to my collection. If I want relaxing music it is usually specific pieces of classical or the lazy option of asking Alexa to play some Mozart adagios. I can't see ambient becoming a genre I want to get my teeth into.

By the third run through this morning I'm thinking I much prefer Holst's rendering of the planets and are we even talking about the same planets here? Probably not, these planetary unfoldings are too distant for me to grab on to, you can't see them with the naked eye or particularly hear them with the naked ear.

It's not dreadful and as I think I wrote about Sugar Ros on the most surprisingly voted in the best ever top 1100 albums thread it is preferable to the plinky plonky stuff they play in hippy shops that are supposed to represent the whispering trees and the yearning for home of migrating dolphins or whatever but it's not for me. Musically I'm sure it has merit and I'm not going to easily dismiss something that is made with attention to detail and passion for the craft but I can only give it a 4.

Michael Stearns
Planetary Unfolding
How on earth did the guy know where he was up when writing it?

Brave selection to go with the brilliant write up @GoatersLeftShin . Definitely got me breaking new ground again (which is seemingly expanding by the week).

There are some very likeable parts to this synth-composition(?) that have the ability to build suspense or sometimes even a lowering of the heartbeat.

It effectively gives the creator possibly even more license to toy with the listener and in part I can definitely lose myself listening to it with headphones in (I really feel the backdrop to this music is key). Doesn't work as your commute to work.

As I have suggested on other stuff, some of it feels like the early shoots of an Ibiza chill out album or element's so well harnessed by the likes of Pink Floyd in between sublime Gilmore riffs.

However therein lies the rub, whilst it works as a great conduit between songs or parts of songs (effectively linking A & B), it is now being deployed as the headline act.

I think it was suggested by @Bill Walker that it needed a visual or the similar - that's exactly where I am with it. It feels like an accompaniment to something else (as I saw it, exploring space or the oceans).

None of it is unlikeable, quite the opposite but I do kind of feel unfulfilled by it as I don't believe it ever peaks. I feel that I want to write a guitar riff to kick in over the main lovely 2 note synth (if that makes any sense)?

With that in mind it kind of feels like a 4.5 to me - fuck it 5 (because as I am about to go and venture whether someone has featured this and worked with it).

Am I middling out with my scoring?

Keep going Bluemooners, yes it's Monday, yes the UK-bound ones amongst us are probably going to have the pubs shut again sometime soon, but they'll never take our music............... ;-)

Keep going Bluemooners, yes it's Monday, yes the UK-bound ones amongst us are probably going to have the pubs shut again sometime soon, but they'll never take our music............... ;-)
What's a pub? Gave up on them years ago.

Music is much better and you are correct, they'll never take our music.

Nice review, I agree about the "exploring space or the oceans" comment and also the fact that I was waiting for some guitar to come in. But I definitely enjoyed this one more than I thought I would.

only the one listen today
and well, much needed after going to Chemical Brothers gig last night and feeling worse for wear today

calm, beautiful at times... but really lacks variety and a whole album of just ambience felt too draining

Great pick once again, my Oasis nomination seems so generic compared to what's followed

4/10

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.