The Album Review Club - Week #119 - (page 1405) - People On Sunday - Domenique Dumont

But now you're here, stick around, pull up a chair and join the fun.

I've always been one who enjoys listening to "my" music, whatever that may be at the time. But over these two threads, it's been nice to be "forced" to listen to stuff you might not otherwise hear. Even if you don't like what's on offer, I find it informative and helps put your own tastes in perspective.
Cheers. And yes, the exploration of ‘forced’ choices has been interesting along the lines you mention and has brought some really rich conversation. Especially as am not so educated in some aspects of music. This might be tested by pantera on the other thread :)

Cheers. And yes, the exploration of ‘forced’ choices has been interesting along the lines you mention and has brought some really rich conversation. Especially as am not so educated in some aspects of music. This might be tested by pantera on the other thread :)
A like a bit of hard rock, but yes, I think this might be a trial for me as well.

I am not educated in any aspects in fact I regard myself and know I am a complete hack but this is a great thread and the more the merrier.

We have a rich variety of musical buffs on bluemoon and I am for one extremely fortunate to be able to read and learn from all the knowledge and variety on the relevant threads of music from all the posters.

In fact I am in awe of all the posters and their contributions.

No Hindu caste system applies here I would suggest.

Ok ,firstly let me declare I’m not a fan of Led Zeppelin.I don’t like Robert Plants voice, if I want to listen to British Blues Rock ,Free are my go to band. imho Paul Rodgers has a great voice.However ,although I have never listened to a Led Zep album before I thought this would be interesting given the legends they are and my brother and best mate are big fans.
ive listened to it a few times in the car and have to say I quite like it, the riffs are great and the band sound really tightens accomplished .I still don’t like the vocals especially on the
rockier songs but I can put up with them on the slower tracks.
All in all a bit of a surprise and I would play a lot of the songs again
so 7/10 from me.

I must admit to only being familiar with a couple of well-known Led Zeppelin songs (Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love). I've probably heard others without knowing who they were by.

Looking at the tracks on the album, there was nothing that seemed familiar to me. On the first listen I started, as I always do, by playing the tracks in order of most Spotify plays so I get a feel of which songs are perhaps regarded most highly and then on the second listen played them straight through in album order to see how they all work together.

The first track on the album I heard was therefore Kashmir which started in a very familiar way and I was sure I must have heard it before but when the singing started I didn't recognise it at all. Has some other group used the opening to Kashmir for another song? Anyway I found Kashmir probably the highlight of the album and quite listenable. In My Time of Dying and Custard Pie also both ok. Nothing on disc 2 really stood out.

I have to say that classical rock really isn't my thing at all. Maybe it's an acquired taste that I haven't yet managed to acquire. I know they were an influential band and Bonham, Page and Plant are rated highly as musicians but I just can't make it work for me.

It's probably a fine example of its genre but I just didn't enjoy it as a whole. As such I can't really score it more than 4.

I liked your post because it’s good and thoughtful — as usual — but am adding an * here for the mere suggestion of dropping Houses of the Holy!!! :)
Got to double down on this Foggy - managed to give it another listen on the flight back home. If they dropped Houses of the holy and managed to squeeze in the 2 highlighted from side 2, it's not far from unbeatable........... ;-)

I must admit to only being familiar with a couple of well-known Led Zeppelin songs (Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love). I've probably heard others without knowing who they were by.

Looking at the tracks on the album, there was nothing that seemed familiar to me. On the first listen I started, as I always do, by playing the tracks in order of most Spotify plays so I get a feel of which songs are perhaps regarded most highly and then on the second listen played them straight through in album order to see how they all work together.

The first track on the album I heard was therefore Kashmir which started in a very familiar way and I was sure I must have heard it before but when the singing started I didn't recognise it at all. Has some other group used the opening to Kashmir for another song? Anyway I found Kashmir probably the highlight of the album and quite listenable. In My Time of Dying and Custard Pie also both ok. Nothing on disc 2 really stood out.

I have to say that classical rock really isn't my thing at all. Maybe it's an acquired taste that I haven't yet managed to acquire. I know they were an influential band and Bonham, Page and Plant are rated highly as musicians but I just can't make it work for me.

It's probably a fine example of its genre but I just didn't enjoy it as a whole. As such I can't really score it more than 4.
Think they stole the original riff from Puff Daddy ;-) and it was used on Shite Simon Cowell programs as a tension builder...............

Got to double down on this Foggy - managed to give it another listen on the flight back home. If they dropped Houses of the holy and managed to squeeze in the 2 highlighted from side 2, it's not far from unbeatable........... ;-)
I think you MAY have misinterpreted in that I believe dropping HotH is near sacrilege. :) The one that I knew but that really lit me up on replay is The Rover. I forgot how good that tune is.

I'm also in the camp that can never quite get Led Zep - so it was good to give them a full chance with this outing although I'm struggling listening to 2 albums to review a week!

first thing i love about this Album is just how many layers of Music there are - you got Rock, Pop, Soft, Heavy, Psychedlic, Blues, Jazz, Slow, Fast - so much going on all throughout

Only 'Kashmir' I know really well - A legendary monster track

'In my time of dying' 'In the light' 'Trampled underfoot' are big heavy hitters aswell - the sound quality is amazing and similar feel to my recent 'Layla' all stars album with Clapton - the musicianship is so solid.

A few tracks felt a little long and I can't relate much to the lyrics, I'm sure if I listened to this more it would score higher.

7/10

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.