The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

Coincidentally I noticed this new book on Amazon yesterday. Got a few long reads coming up in the next couple of months but hopefully I'll get to this before Christmas.

The Album Review Club – Week #1

The Lonesome Jubilee – John Cougar Mellencamp (1987)

Selected by RobMCFC

View attachment 27121

How I discovered the album

I was a relatively late starter when it came to serious music listening, and as a 17-year-old in 1986, most of the stuff I got into early on was American rock. Although I bought a couple of Bruce Springsteen albums, most of the stuff was more traditional AOR like Huey Lewis & The News, ZZ Top, Journey, Bon Jovi, Survivor, Bryan Adams etc. One thing I figured out early on was that a good source of new music was Johnnie Walker’s Stereo Sequence on Radio One on a Saturday afternoon, and it was here that I first discovered John Mellencamp. The first few times I heard the fiddle blasting out on the intro for “Paper in Fire”, I thought it was weird. Then I became curious and by the fourth or fifth listen, I resolved to buy the album when it came out.

My Review

The Lonesome Jubilee is an album that, to my ears, is perfect on a number of levels. It was released at the height of the Reagan era yet its powerful lyrics are just as relevant today. The characters in these songs are battling unemployment, a lack of money, a lack of hope, a system that doesn’t work for the people or just simply struggling with the everyday problems of middle age. Even a young kid’s fear of the Russians makes an appearance and raises the question of “When the bombs fall down will they hurt everyone in my family?” Whilst I was only 19 at the time, and most of this stuff didn’t apply to me, it was inspiring to hear somebody singing about something that mattered.

As if the powerful imagery and heartfelt vocals from Mellencamp were not enough, it’s the sound of The Lonesome Jubilee that puts it head and shoulders above most other albums. Before the sessions, the singer instructed his band to learn a new set of instruments, so we get plenty of banjo, mandolin, lap steel and a host of other stringed instruments, but Mellencamp’s aces in the hole that give the album its signature sound are Lisa Germano on fiddle and John Cascella’s accordion. Despite the downbeat nature of the lyrics, it’s an album full of gorgeous, soaring melodies and hooks and in most cases, it’s the twin attack of accordion and fiddle that drive this sound, all backed by Kenny Aronoff’s propulsive drums. When it comes to favourite songs, take your pick, because there’s no weak link, but I love the opening three tracks.

Doing a bit of background research on this album, I learned two interesting things about John Mellencamp. First of all, unlike many others who play this type of music, he is not so great on guitar. He knows enough to write the songs and demo them for his band, but that’s about it. The second thing is that he knows how he wants an album to sound and is tireless when it comes to arranging and mixing. Perhaps as much as his superb songwriting, it is this last comment that explains the genius of what you hear when you play this album – there’s so much going on yet you hear every detail in the mix.

The rustic sound of the album was at odds with the synthesizer and drum machine technology of the time. It’s not exactly chart-friendly material, yet still Mellencamp still managed to score three top-20 hits in the US (two in the top 10). Of course, he’s never been as popular in the UK.

Closing Comments

The Lonesome Jubilee is my favourite album of all time, yet Colin Larkin and his philistines didn’t even name any Mellencamp albums in their Top 1000. I know it has some fans on here, but I don’t think it’s a sound that everybody will love – I’m sure that some will find it “too country”. However, I’ll be interested to hear what people think, especially those who are hearing it for the first time.

Note that “Blues from the front porch” is a bonus track that did not appear on the original album.

Please mark it 1-10, votes close on Monday.

Just a reminder that next week’s album will be selected by @FogBlueInSanFran.
Nice write up mate. This isn't an album I know well at all so looking forward to giving it a listen. For albums I don't know, it is easier for me to review against a set of criteria:

Musicianship
Song writing and lyrics
Vocals
Production
Album flow
X Factor

Better that than rating just based on did I like it or not. It will also help me judge all albums fairly and consistently wether I know them or not.
I will not try your trick to test for stereo separation though - i'm a little hard of hearing in one ear :-0

Nice write up mate. This isn't an album I know well at all so looking forward to giving it a listen. For albums I don't know, it is easier for me to review against a set of criteria:

Musicianship
Song writing and lyrics
Vocals
Production
Album flow
X Factor

Better that than rating just based on did I like it or not. It will also help me judge all albums fairly and consistently wether I know them or not.
I will not try your trick to test for stereo separation though - i'm a little hard of hearing in one ear :-0
Well that's a pretty reasonable set of criteria to rate against.

It's interesting in that a lot of music I listen to is where the songs have a lot to say, whether it's political or personal or just interesting stories. Yet one of my favourite artists is Crowded House and if you look at Neil Finn's lyrics, a lot of them are nonsense, or at best a bit obtuse. Yet somehow, II still love his songs.

Anyway, I'll look forward to your review.

The Album Review Club – Week #1

The Lonesome Jubilee – John Cougar Mellencamp (1987)

Selected by RobMCFC

View attachment 27121

How I discovered the album

I was a relatively late starter when it came to serious music listening, and as a 17-year-old in 1986, most of the stuff I got into early on was American rock. Although I bought a couple of Bruce Springsteen albums, most of the stuff was more traditional AOR like Huey Lewis & The News, ZZ Top, Journey, Bon Jovi, Survivor, Bryan Adams etc. One thing I figured out early on was that a good source of new music was Johnnie Walker’s Stereo Sequence on Radio One on a Saturday afternoon, and it was here that I first discovered John Mellencamp. The first few times I heard the fiddle blasting out on the intro for “Paper in Fire”, I thought it was weird. Then I became curious and by the fourth or fifth listen, I resolved to buy the album when it came out.

My Review

The Lonesome Jubilee is an album that, to my ears, is perfect on a number of levels. It was released at the height of the Reagan era yet its powerful lyrics are just as relevant today. The characters in these songs are battling unemployment, a lack of money, a lack of hope, a system that doesn’t work for the people or just simply struggling with the everyday problems of middle age. Even a young kid’s fear of the Russians makes an appearance and raises the question of “When the bombs fall down will they hurt everyone in my family?” Whilst I was only 19 at the time, and most of this stuff didn’t apply to me, it was inspiring to hear somebody singing about something that mattered.

As if the powerful imagery and heartfelt vocals from Mellencamp were not enough, it’s the sound of The Lonesome Jubilee that puts it head and shoulders above most other albums. Before the sessions, the singer instructed his band to learn a new set of instruments, so we get plenty of banjo, mandolin, lap steel and a host of other stringed instruments, but Mellencamp’s aces in the hole that give the album its signature sound are Lisa Germano on fiddle and John Cascella’s accordion. Despite the downbeat nature of the lyrics, it’s an album full of gorgeous, soaring melodies and hooks and in most cases, it’s the twin attack of accordion and fiddle that drive this sound, all backed by Kenny Aronoff’s propulsive drums. When it comes to favourite songs, take your pick, because there’s no weak link, but I love the opening three tracks.

Doing a bit of background research on this album, I learned two interesting things about John Mellencamp. First of all, unlike many others who play this type of music, he is not so great on guitar. He knows enough to write the songs and demo them for his band, but that’s about it. The second thing is that he knows how he wants an album to sound and is tireless when it comes to arranging and mixing. Perhaps as much as his superb songwriting, it is this last comment that explains the genius of what you hear when you play this album – there’s so much going on yet you hear every detail in the mix.

The rustic sound of the album was at odds with the synthesizer and drum machine technology of the time. It’s not exactly chart-friendly material, yet still Mellencamp still managed to score three top-20 hits in the US (two in the top 10). Of course, he’s never been as popular in the UK.

Closing Comments

The Lonesome Jubilee is my favourite album of all time, yet Colin Larkin and his philistines didn’t even name any Mellencamp albums in their Top 1000. I know it has some fans on here, but I don’t think it’s a sound that everybody will love – I’m sure that some will find it “too country”. However, I’ll be interested to hear what people think, especially those who are hearing it for the first time.

Note that “Blues from the front porch” is a bonus track that did not appear on the original album.

Please mark it 1-10, votes close on Monday.

Just a reminder that next week’s album will be selected by @FogBlueInSanFran.
One of my faves at the time. Sounds even better through headphones.

7/10

Well that's a pretty reasonable set of criteria to rate against.

It's interesting in that a lot of music I listen to is where the songs have a lot to say, whether it's political or personal or just interesting stories. Yet one of my favourite artists is Crowded House and if you look at Neil Finn's lyrics, a lot of them are nonsense, or at best a bit obtuse. Yet somehow, II still love his songs.

Anyway, I'll look forward to your review.

I'm always more concerned with how a song or piece of music sounds than what it is about or how good the lyrics are.

Naturally, great lyrics - however you define them - are preferable to inane drivel but "I wanna rock 'n' roll all nite and party every day" works just fine for me.

John cougar Mellencamp doesn't appeal to me one bit.
His brand of music, which I believe comes outta the American Midwest, reminds me of those American rough looking bars (Roadhouse movie) where redneck types wear cowboy boots and check shirts, usually with a white t-shirt underneath.
I can imagine such a place with a jukebox blasting out Springsteen and John cougar while those cowboys Yahoo, drink beer and whoop it up before they grt into their pickup trucks a hootin and a hollerin.
Anyway that's the vision that this kind of music helps to appear in my mind and part of me that loves sophistication and technical brilliance sees nothing in it.

However, this is just my taste and I don't want to denigrate it to the people who love it, it obviously means a lot to a lot of people and therefore it has merit of course.
I'm therefore (after giving it a listen) giving it 5 from 10 not because I will ever listen to it again, but because I have an appreciation of anything musical with merit.

John cougar Mellencamp doesn't appeal to me one bit.
His brand of music, which I believe comes outta the American Midwest, reminds me of those American rough looking bars (Roadhouse movie) where redneck types wear cowboy boots and check shirts, usually with a white t-shirt underneath.
I can imagine such a place with a jukebox blasting out Springsteen and John cougar while those cowboys Yahoo, drink beer and whoop it up before they grt into their pickup trucks a hootin and a hollerin.
Anyway that's the vision that this kind of music helps to appear in my mind and part of me that loves sophistication and technical brilliance sees nothing in it.

However, this is just my taste and I don't want to denigrate it to the people who love it, it obviously means a lot to a lot of people and therefore it has merit of course.
I'm therefore (after giving it a listen) giving it 5 from 10 not because I will ever listen to it again, but because I have an appreciation of anything musical with merit.
No worries, Bill, and thanks for voting. We all have different tastes and it's better that people give honest scores.
The fact that Mellencamp is sitting at a bar on the cover (and the inside photo features a jukebox) maybe backs up some of what you say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.