The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

Having been unsure before, and now having listened once, I am now positive I previously owned this record, but it may be concerning that I couldn’t remember. There are way too many familiar riffs and melodies. I’m also pretty sure I must have purchased it for “Cleveland Rocks”, which has always been a favo(u)rite of mine in both this original and the POTUSA version, but it may also have been because of “Bastard”, which I recogniz(s)ed instantly.

This sounds very very very very 1979 which is also quite fun.

I don’t think I ever owned this album, which is kind of odd in itself. I don’t have it on cd but am wondering if I had or even had it on vinyl (can’t think I would have sold it on). I can’t check until I go to our house again (we are still in a rental due to interminable wait for insurers etc to sort things out). Unlike my cds, I’ve never catalogued my vinyl, which sits in my study mostly unplayed in decades!

Like you, it’s the song “Bastard” that I remember from way back. I have a cd compilation with it on but it’s not that. It is though on the live album “Welcome to the Club”, which I think I do still have on vinyl, so it could be that.

Why I wouldn’t have bought the album is a bit of a mystery because I was a big Mott The Hoople fan and Bowie was my favourite artist when Ronno was with him. I also really got into Springsteen originally through my love of his backing band’s work with other people.

That said, I’ve never bought much Hunter solo stuff. His last album though was my most played of 2023 and its companion release will be purchased as soon as it is released (it’s due out soon). I was trying to decide between an MTH album and that solo album before I changed tack to “Rocks”.

I don’t think I ever owned this album, which is kind of odd in itself. I don’t have it on cd but am wondering if I had or even had it on vinyl (can’t think I would have sold it on). I can’t check until I go to our house again (we are still in a rental due to interminable wait for insurers etc to sort things out). Unlike my cds, I’ve never catalogued my vinyl, which sits in my study mostly unplayed in decades!

Like you, it’s the song “Bastard” that I remember from way back. I have a cd compilation with it on but it’s not that. It is though on the live album “Welcome to the Club”, which I think I do still have on vinyl, so it could be that.

Why I wouldn’t have bought the album is a bit of a mystery because I was a big Mott The Hoople fan and Bowie was my favourite artist when Ronno was with him. I also really got into Springsteen originally through my love of his backing band’s work with other people.

That said, I’ve never bought much Hunter solo stuff. His last album though was my most played of 2023 and its companion release will be purchased as soon as it is released (it’s due out soon). I was trying to decide between an MTH album and that solo album before I changed tack to “Rocks”.
I thought you might have this album as I know like me you were a big MTH fan.
i‘ve got most of IH‘s solo output, it’s amazing he still making good albums at 84!

TBH she might make their music more palatable as the removal of any Yorky influence can only make their music less bad.

I personally own “Loretta Lynn Sings Pink Floyd Vol 2”.

In fairness Waters came from coal mining stock too. Not too sure there's too much of that in Gilmour and Mason's backgrounds though!

Still with a couple of days to go this is getting a fair bit of play in the car. I almost think it is about one of the most "accessible" choices that we have had in a while. Lots of similarities as has been said with Bowie and as soon as I heard the first track my though was of "Glory Days"....and then you realise the studio and backing band connections and so obviously IH influenced Springsteen.
Really enjoying it so far

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.