The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

I think the fairest thing for me to do is give this one a miss.
I just don’t know when I d find the time or mood to play this through.
I’ve tried already and it’s just pointless.
Classical music, I can take and although I’m not knowledgeable on it there are several pieces I love, even those that I can’t identify but recognise when I hear them.

But opera has always seemed the most pointless music ever conceived to my ears. I don’t know what they are singing about and yet they insist on singing every word of whatever story it is supposed to be, even the non melodic or tuneless parts.

I had this on for about 15 minutes and although the music was pleasant enough, the singing started and I just automatically switched off. I can’t do it. There is no opportunity I can think of where I would play this through and listening in bits and pieces seems pointless to me, as it has no meaning whatsoever.
Sorry @KnaresboroughBlue but I’ll respectfully withdraw from this one.
I quite understand.

I think the fairest thing for me to do is give this one a miss.
I just don’t know when I d find the time or mood to play this through.
I’ve tried already and it’s just pointless.
Classical music, I can take and although I’m not knowledgeable on it there are several pieces I love, even those that I can’t identify but recognise when I hear them.

But opera has always seemed the most pointless music ever conceived to my ears. I don’t know what they are singing about and yet they insist on singing every word of whatever story it is supposed to be, even the non melodic or tuneless parts.

I had this on for about 15 minutes and although the music was pleasant enough, the singing started and I just automatically switched off. I can’t do it. There is no opportunity I can think of where I would play this through and listening in bits and pieces seems pointless to me, as it has no meaning whatsoever.
Sorry @KnaresboroughBlue but I’ll respectfully withdraw from this one.
I am in the same boat after trying today. As I wrote on the “best singer” thread, vocalist ability is the least important contributor to why I like or do not like music. In opera it isn’t the all, but it is the musical genre (broadly) for which it matters most. I agree that not speaking the language is an additional hindrance. As I have never listened to opera in any capacity other than being subjected to snippets unwillingly, I fear I have no context. However, in the interest of stretching myself, I am going to give it a full go, and if I think I have anything value-added to say, or some context for scoring it, I will.

Unfortunately , I’m a philistine I don’t like Opera in any shape or form.I’ve listened to some of the album and find the music very stirring and could easily listen to it on
Its own ,but I can’t listen to the vocals, so I’m really not qualified to give this a score as it be unfair on @KnaresboroughBlue .
My wife on the other hand is an Opera fan and has heard of the composer, so I might get her to take a listen.

Nearest I’ve got to listening to Opera is Malcom Mclaren’s ‘Fans’ and I didn’t particularly like that!

Unfortunately , I’m a philistine I don’t like Opera in any shape or form.I’ve listened to some of the album and find the music very stirring and could easily listen to it on
Its own ,but I can’t listen to the vocals, so I’m really not qualified to give this a score as it be unfair on @KnaresboroughBlue .
My wife on the other hand is an Opera fan and has heard of the composer, so I might get her to take a listen.

Nearest I’ve got to listening to Opera is Malcom Mclaren’s ‘Fans’ and I didn’t particularly like that!
No problem. I thought that may be the case for many people and suspect it will have the fewest number of reviews by some distance.

For me this thread is about sharing music that is important to the nominator personally and this particular opera is for me a very important piece of work, so I don't regret sharing it even though I knew I was a perhaps a bit too left field for most tastes.

Anyway, thanks for at least giving it a listen.

Stand by to be shocked.lol.
At least it wasn't Rush.lol.
Apart from the vocals I enjoyed the recording.Female or male vocals I didn't enjoy.
Never listened to anything like this before but I really liked the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.
Loved the way the music blended from quiet to loud and how every instrument had a part to play.Thought I even heard the harp in the background.
I take it there are recordings of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra or any other top Orchestra without singing.
Will definitely investigate further orchestras.
Despite the vocals I will give this an 8 for the musical Orchestra alone.
Something new for me to listen to and further listening to a new type of musical genre.
Surely that's what this thread is all about.

Apart from the vocals I enjoyed the recording.Female or male vocals I didn't enjoy.
Never listened to anything like this before but I really liked the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.
Loved the way the music blended from quiet to loud and how every instrument had a part to play.Thought I even heard the harp in the background.
I take it there are recordings of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra or any other top Orchestra without singing.
Something new for me to listen to and further listening to a new type of musical genre.
I'm pleased you got some enjoyment from it.

There will be a lot of recorded concerts with the Czech Philharmonic (I have a fair few of them and have been to many of their concerts). They are a superb orchestra.

Classical music is a massive genre and I can’t claim to be any sort of expert. You’ll find umpteen recordings of any piece you care to mention by many different orchestras.

As a starter though if you liked the Dvořák you might want to check out his Serenade for Strings, Cello concerto and symphonies 8 and 9. My personal preferences only. If you find recordings by the Czech Philharmonic all well and good but there will be plenty of others

Classical music is a massive genre and I can’t claim to be any sort of expert. You’ll find umpteen recordings of any piece you care to mention by many different orchestras.

As a starter though if you liked the Dvořák you might want to check out his Serenade for Strings, Cello concerto and symphonies 8 and 9. My personal preferences only. If you find recordings by the Czech Philharmonic all well and good but there will be plenty of others
Dvořák's Slavonic Dances are also a nice place to start.

This one has thrown me!

I've never really listened to much opera, apart from the more well known pieces. I've been to the 'Last Night Of The Proms' at the Bridgewater Hall quite a few times and I look forward to the opera singers. The reason is the power in their voices is something that blows you away. When you watch something live, like an opera singer, you are astonished that human beings can do that with their voices. I honestly think hearing Nessun Dorma, Barcarolle or Flower Duet live is something else. In my mind, there's some music that is far better when it's played live - it's the spectacle of it all that just enhances the music. It's just utterly beautiful, but it just doesn't sound the same when you're playing it on Spotify. I can't explain why, it's just how I feel!

Anyway, onto this 'album'! I had a listen on Google to the pieces and if I'm honest, I couldn't get into it really. I think part of it is that, as I've just said, there's some music types that I think you have to experience and, for me, classical music is at it's finest live. When you can watch the spectacle and listen to that pure, rich sound that only an orchestra and singers can make. So, in some respects, I think this was always going to be a tough one for me. If I could watch it live, I would almost certainly score it higher.

However, I really liked the Song To The Moon. Absolutely beautiful without question and one I'd love to hear at a Proms event.

I'm kind of torn on this. I don't want to give it a low score simply because of my ignorance around the genre really, plus the fact that this is one genre that I prefer listening to live. However, Song To The Moon is just beautiful.

I'm going with a 6.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.