The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

I am only 2 listens in but I cannot get past thinking this is "of its time" and gives me images of Europeans nightclubs or beachside parties with so many trendies with "big hair".
In my notes after listening to the first 2 songs i wrote "Miami Vice" without even realising that "Crocketts Revenge" was on there.

I am only 2 listens in but I cannot get past thinking this is "of its time" and gives me images of European nightclubs or beachside parties with so many trendies with "big hair".
In my notes after listening to the first 2 songs i wrote "Miami Vice" without even realising that "Crocketts Revenge" was on there.

The documentary I mentioned about synthwave did suggest it's origins were very much in the French house scene which makes sense.

Endless Summer – The Midnight

I did like this more after repeat listens, and the YouTube video that @BlueHammer85 posted on page 1300 definitely helped in my appreciation of what this 80's nostalgic synths and sax album was intending to capture.

Highlights included:
- beginning and end songs sound of starting and ending a vinyl album on the turntable. A nice touch.
- the overall album reminded me of a "Miami Vice" soundtrack. I see @LGWIO had made the same astute connection too. Sax, and synth drumbeats throughout captured that same Jan Hammer synths vibe. You Belong to the City, indeed. "Crockett's Revenge" could be a sequel nod to Hammer's "Crockett's Theme", although listening to both pieces back to back, they don’t sound too related or repetitive. But, if you played me both back to back tomorrow, I’d have a hard time of guessing which was which blindly. Well done!?
- "Endless Summer", to borrow a Beach Boys compilation album as a song and album theme to what the band were trying to capture here was a good start. I enjoyed the surfing clip in the video and this definitely took me back to MY endless summer of 1985, where senioritis high school ended early with memorable proms and graduation, and university began late in September. There never was or would be a summer "so endless" again like that one…
- I liked "Sunset", which had nice real guitar riffs towards the end. I'm sure that song will be a fan favorite at their concerts.
- the vocals also seemed to well match the 80s synth mood, so if you played me this album from out of nowhere, I'd have sworn it was released then. They did a good job of disguising that.
- "Daytona" - top down on the convertible, driving along I-95 on the quest to catch the bad guys, Crocket and Tubbs cannot be stopped! I can feel the suspense in the beats here as the keys solo kicks in 2:10 in.
- at the beginning of "Jason" I'm hearing Michael Sembello's 1983 "Maniac" beats. Maybe a homage? I liked Nikki Flores' vocals a lot on that one.
- “The Comeback Kid” also was a nice song. Reminded in synth parts of ABC’s “Be Near Me”. Vocals very good on this one too.
- “Memories” closes the album out nicely as well. Really loved the lyrics and vocals on this and what it was conveying. “You’ll always be a part of me” and “the final word was never said” hit home for me for many reasons. “Summer days are growing colder, we’ll know better when we’re older” sums things up exactly like those blurry pictures from 1985.

I do think this album is going to be hit or miss for most, the latter which we’re already seeing here. The first listen or two were more on the miss for me, but after a few more (listens, not drinks), and relating it to what the band was going for, I get it.

For a music appreciation and overall nostalgia enjoyment factor, this is a 7/10 for me. “Memories” as the last song brought the score up overall for me as a strong closer. Thanks again, @BlueHammer85 , with an emphasis on that "85". :-)

Last edited:

For me, this is one of those albums that is more than the sum of its parts. Whilst there are no songs on here that I’d be rushing out to add to my playlist, I did enjoy most of them, and collectively they do a very good job of creating an atmosphere and sustaining it for most of the 1 hour-plus running time.

Let’s dig in and take a look at the good and the bad.

The title track establishs the vibe perfectly, and the vocals and backing on “Sunset”, “Jason”, “The Comeback Kid” and “Memories” make for perfect pop songs. There is no “ohh, look at us, aren’t we cool” or false edginess here: songs that are well performed and produced and pass by in a perfectly pleasant manner.

“Daytona” is my pick of the bunch on this album: moves along with just a hint of menace and the synths are achingly brilliant on this track.

Despite the bizarre processed vocals on “Nighthawks”, I still enjoyed it because the music was interesting.

There were some good moments in “Vampires” and “Crockett’s Revenge” but yes, the “We’re-in-an-American-sitcom-and-a-character-has-just-delivered-a-one-liner-and-you-are-supposed-to-laugh-now” saxophone was too over-the-top and killed any positives. As for “Lonely City”, the awful vocals mean I’ll never listen to this song again.

So, I’m summary, it’s mostly good, some bland and in a couple of cases, downright awful.

And yet still I like it. I’ve listened about four times (except “Lonely City” where twice was enough) and still I’m not bored. This doesn’t feel like an album that I’d automatically love, but there’s more at play here than simply how the guitar solos stack up against Pink Floyd, whether there are Hammond fills to die for or how much grit is on display. In fact, let’s be honest, there’s a five-mile exclusion zone around this album and everybody is wearing protective gear, so grit wouldn’t stand a chance.

No, I’m talking about how the band have created an almost flawless time machine. On the Midnight’s bandcamp page, I found this:-

There is a Japanese term: Mono no aware. It means basically, the sad beauty of seeing time pass - the aching awareness of impermanence. These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories.

“These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories.” Absolutely. Whilst I was getting into the grittiness of Springsteen, Mellencamp and Earle very early in my listening career, I was doing so through the medium of radio – remember the days where Spotify wasn’t an option and you had to sift through 10 songs on the radio too find one gem? Well, during this period in the mid to late 80s, I was exposed to all sorts of rubbish, but I actually found quite a lot of stuff that I half liked: Lou Gramm, Robbie Nevill, Paula Abdul or whatever else was knocking about at the time. I also watched Miami Vice and a lot of films around this time, and this album brought it all back. I couldn’t point to a single film that this reminded me of – it was more of a general vibe going on at the time.

I’m not going to pretend that I’ll be rushing out to buy synth music by the bucketload, but I like this album because it has no pretensions, no edge, and there’s no attempt to subvert – it’s an honest album that sets out to recreate a certain feeling from a certain time, and whilst it’s not perfect, it mostly succeeds. Give me this over any of the 80s new wave chancers who couldn’t sing any day. 7/10. A fantastic and wonderfully different nomination from @BlueHammer85.

For me, this is one of those albums that is more than the sum of its parts. Whilst there are no songs on here that I’d be rushing out to add to my playlist, I did enjoy most of them, and collectively they do a very good job of creating an atmosphere and sustaining it for most of the 1 hour-plus running time.

Let’s dig in and take a look at the good and the bad.

The title track establishs the vibe perfectly, and the vocals and backing on “Sunset”, “Jason”, “The Comeback Kid” and “Memories” make for perfect pop songs. There is no “ohh, look at us, aren’t we cool” or false edginess here: songs that are well performed and produced and pass by in a perfectly pleasant manner.

“Daytona” is my pick of the bunch on this album: moves along with just a hint of menace and the synths are achingly brilliant on this track.

Despite the bizarre processed vocals on “Nighthawks”, I still enjoyed it because the music was interesting.

There were some good moments in “Vampires” and “Crockett’s Revenge” but yes, the “We’re-in-an-American-sitcom-and-a-character-has-just-delivered-a-one-liner-and-you-are-supposed-to-laugh-now” saxophone was too over-the-top and killed any positives. As for “Lonely City”, the awful vocals mean I’ll never listen to this song again.

So, I’m summary, it’s mostly good, some bland and in a couple of cases, downright awful.

And yet still I like it. I’ve listened about four times (except “Lonely City” where twice was enough) and still I’m not bored. This doesn’t feel like an album that I’d automatically love, but there’s more at play here than simply how the guitar solos stack up against Pink Floyd, whether there are Hammond fills to die for or how much grit is on display. In fact, let’s be honest, there’s a five-mile exclusion zone around this album and everybody is wearing protective gear, so grit wouldn’t stand a chance.

No, I’m talking about how the band have created an almost flawless time machine. On the Midnight’s bandcamp page, I found this:-

There is a Japanese term: Mono no aware. It means basically, the sad beauty of seeing time pass - the aching awareness of impermanence. These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories.

“These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories.” Absolutely. Whilst I was getting into the grittiness of Springsteen, Mellencamp and Earle very early in my listening career, I was doing so through the medium of radio – remember the days where Spotify wasn’t an option and you had to sift through 10 songs on the radio too find one gem? Well, during this period in the mid to late 80s, I was exposed to all sorts of rubbish, but I actually found quite a lot of stuff that I half liked: Lou Gramm, Robbie Nevill, Paula Abdul or whatever else was knocking about at the time. I also watched Miami Vice and a lot of films around this time, and this album brought it all back. I couldn’t point to a single film that this reminded me of – it was more of a general vibe going on at the time.

I’m not going to pretend that I’ll be rushing out to buy synth music by the bucketload, but I like this album because it has no pretensions, no edge, and there’s no attempt to subvert – it’s an honest album that sets out to recreate a certain feeling from a certain time, and whilst it’s not perfect, it mostly succeeds. Give me this over any of the 80s new wave chancers who couldn’t sing any day. 7/10. A fantastic and wonderfully different nomination from @BlueHammer85.
You just had to mention Robbie Nevil didn't you? I had blocked that horrendous pile of sax dross from my mind and now it's all coming flooding back. Why doesn't he smile? Why is everyone wearing vests and 501's? Why is he just talking? Why 'that's life'? Why damn you, Why!!

You just had to mention Robbie Nevil didn't you? I had blocked that horrendous pile of sax dross from my mind and now it's all coming flooding back. Why doesn't he smile? Why is everyone wearing vests and 501's? Why is he just talking? Why 'that's life'? Why damn you, Why!!
I have fond memories of "Cest La Vie" and "Wots It To ya?" - great 80s songs.

I've got a spare for Kenny G next month, I'll count you in yeah?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.