The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

Interesting argument regarding Toys v Rocks; I do prefer the songs on the former, but it's a moot point, given that we are reviewing Rocks.

Rocks is a properly raw hard rock album and sums up why I love American rock and bands like Aerosmith and Van Halen in particular. 8.5/10.
I’m probably in the minority but I don’t think it is moot. When you see a direction/sound a band can go and they do something different the counterpoint is context for your enjoyment. But admittedly I am prone to this. Witness my perspective on Depeche Mode’s “Songs of Faith and Devotion” (which I dislike) vs. “Violator” and their preceding work (which I like). Great early work makes less good later work (or vice versa) more shit. Now Rocks is decidedly not shit. It’s just not as good as Toys IMO. But my score would be no different whether Rocks was their debut or otherwise. It’s just a little more disappointing because I was looking forward to what I know they can do — which is sound fabulous — as opposed to what they did, which was sound good, but not as good as I expected or as I know they’re capable of.

So I was on night shifts last week which were quiet so had a fair bit of time to listen to this weeks offering. With the weekend I think I have actually listened to this more than any other previous album.

I think I did this to try and like it more than i actually did as I thought I must be missing something that so many of you see in this. Perhaps like my inability to enjoy PJ/Ten.

Like so many I did think "Back In The Saddle" a good start although I wasn't that fussed on Mr Tylers "screaming" ...which then had me questioning myself as to why I wasn't that keen on that but was more than happy to accept Black Francis doing much the same? Still, it was a a good rocking start.

Then came "Last Child" which I actually liked more than the first track with its groove and tongue in cheek lyrics. I know some have said its not the best on the album, but for me I think it was my fave.

"Rats In The Cellar", was a good enough rocker along with the follow up Combination with its fuzzy guitar sound. "Sick As A Dog" was another middle of the road rocker for me before what I thought was a Led Zep(pish) "Nobodys Fault".

I have to admit that with each listen I got to this point and just found that the album started to tail off for me. Well played rock songs, well produced but nothing that I thought stood out and made me want to come back to them over and over again.

Again I pondered about how to score this in relation to previous offerings and thought back to Jerry Lee at the Star Club and thought about the energy excitement and power that had. Something which I didnt get with this.

Good album and once again enjoyable to "try" and expand my musical experience but only a 5 from the Derry jury.

Totally — I mean completely — off topic, my 17 year-old daughter just came into my room humming “You Make My Dreams Come True” by Hall & Oates and I asked her where she heard it. She said, “All my friends know that song, Dad”, so I asked her if she knew “Rich Girl” and she said “Of course.” “Maneater?” “Duh! We sing that at track practice.” That got me going back and now I’m listening to their back catalog.

So two things — 1) everything old is new again, and 2) there’s so much to rediscover in our lives — stuff you thought that was shit that’s actually good and vice versa, and stuff that brings back memories of more carefree days (albeit I don’t really like “Dreams” compared to some of their other songs).

FYI her favo(u)rite band — as some of you know — is New Order. Sigh — heart heart heart!

Totally — I mean completely — off topic, my 17 year-old daughter just came into my room humming “You Make My Dreams Come True” by Hall & Oates and I asked her where she heard it. She said, “All my friends know that song, Dad”, so I asked her if she knew “Rich Girl” and she said “Of course.” “Maneater?” “Duh! We sing that at track practice.” That got me going back and now I’m listening to their back catalog.

So two things — 1) everything old is new again, and 2) there’s so much to rediscover in our lives — stuff you thought that was shit that’s actually good and vice versa, and stuff that brings back memories of more carefree days (albeit I don’t really like “Dreams” compared to some of their other songs).

FYI her favo(u)rite band — as some of you know — is New Order. Sigh — heart heart heart!
Like wise my two boys well into their thirties now despite me insisting they were not going to be fed if they didn't listen to a good diet of PC & L back in the days.

In stead of being weaned onto cigarettes and alcohol etc they were onto New Order and they still thank me today.

Never a huge fan of Hall and Oates not quite in sync with my tastes but I do respect them as one should and 30 odd top 40 singles doesn't tell too many lies.

Seen a bit of Live form Daryl's House over the years and would recommend anyone tune in for a listen particularly regarding the stories behind the songs discussed which is more than intriguing.

There's that great big magical, musical time machine in action again.

I do hear songs from the 80s that I scoffed at back then, and when I compare it to some of the stuff I hear now, I get a warm, fuzzy nostalgic feeling.

Rocks - Aerosmith

For the second week in succession, it’s a rock album – but in this case, it’s not a band past their best years, looking for a change in direction, it’s Aerosmith in the 70s in their full-on rock glory.

To my ears, there’s not a lot of variation from one song to another. There’s a lot of guitar work to admire from twin guitarists Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, Steven Tyler screams his way through a lot of songs – it doesn’t bother me, but on a song like “Rats in the Cellar”, he sounds more like David Lee Roth and better for it. There are some excellent codas on show: loads of guitar and other instruments such as harmonica doing interesting stuff on “Back in the Saddle” and “Rats in the Cellar”.

I have to confess that on the challenge @OB1 set for me to hear the banjo, I failed miserably. Twice I listened to the album without hearing it, then I checked the credits and found that it was on “Last Child” – I listened to the song twice more, once on headphones and still didn’t hear it.

Whilst there’s not much variety from track-to-track, this means that there’s a consistency to the sound, and as a few people have already mentioned, the production is top-notch. This could easily pass for an album recorded in the 80s or 90s. A lot of the fun in listening to this album is the way the rhythm guitar lays down such great, choppy, chunky riffs and the lead guitar buzzes all over it like an elusive fly. Tyler’s “screaming” didn’t bother me – its rock music and you expect a bit of histrionics from the vocalist.

As several people have mentioned it, I thought I’d give the previous album, Toys in the Attic, a listen. It seems that the change in sound between these two albums was significant, and depending on your tastes, you could see it as a great leap forward, or the end of an era (or maybe both). Toys in the Attic has a more varied sound, almost as if the band are putting on a showcase for various styles from hard rock to cabaret-style show tunes, whereas Rocks pares down the sound to the razor-sharp guitars and Tyler goes wild behind the mic. On listening, I hadn’t noticed the bass and drums higher in the mix that Foggy mentioned, bit I did make a note at the time that Toys had a fuller sound – maybe that’s the same thing without realising it? For the record, I enjoyed both albums equally.

I haven’t listened to enough Aerosmith to know how long this more focussed and pared-down approach lasted after Rocks, but I note that on my favourite song of theirs released in 1987, “Dude Looks Like A Lady”, they were throwing in a horn section.

For me, Rocks is an enjoyable album to listen to with plenty of guitar to admire, but after it’s finished (for the third time) there isn’t a memorable song or two that I’d be hankering to play again. But I do like it better than last week’s offering from The Rolling Stones – any experimentation and left-turns are thrown out the window in favour of a consistent and cohesive sound that possibly set the template, in terms of tone and production, for a lot of bands like Van Halen that were to spring up in the next few years. 7/10.

Like wise my two boys well into their thirties now despite me insisting they were not going to be fed if they didn't listen to a good diet of PC & L back in the days.

In stead of being weaned onto cigarettes and alcohol etc they were onto New Order and they still thank me today.

Never a huge fan of Hall and Oates not quite in sync with my tastes but I do respect them as one should and 30 odd top 40 singles doesn't tell too many lies.

Seen a bit of Live form Daryl's House over the years and would recommend anyone tune in for a listen particularly regarding the stories behind the songs discussed which is more than intriguing.
First gig I ever saw at the Apollo was Hall & Oates and it wasn't even called the Apollo then: it was the ABC Ardwick.

They were really good and almost proggy.

Not seen then since but I do have a lot og H&O albums on cd.

It's fascinating to watch your children's music tastes evolve and really nice when at least some of it overlaps with your own, hopefully by osmosis rather than enforced listening!

I've watched my eldest's favourite song go from being "Hello, hello, who's your lady friend" (don't ask me why but he would literally chuckle himself to sleep when I sang it to him in his cot) through to 'Rat in mi kitchen' as a 4 or 5 year old to 'Cake by the Ocean' (worrying period that) to 'Voodoo Chile' to the point where he now oscillates between various songs off Low Life and Brotherhood. My youngest started on the Makka Pakka song from In the Night Garden and now it's probably a toss up between Transmission and That's Entertainment.

I can actually cope with the fact that one of them has no interest in City whatsoever but if either had said they weren't fussed about music beyond a bit of tiktok I'm not sure how I'd have coped!!

Last edited:
Rocks - Aerosmith

For the second week in succession, it’s a rock album – but in this case, it’s not a band past their best years, looking for a change in direction, it’s Aerosmith in the 70s in their full-on rock glory.

To my ears, there’s not a lot of variation from one song to another. There’s a lot of guitar work to admire from twin guitarists Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, Steven Tyler screams his way through a lot of songs – it doesn’t bother me, but on a song like “Rats in the Cellar”, he sounds more like David Lee Roth and better for it. There are some excellent codas on show: loads of guitar and other instruments such as harmonica doing interesting stuff on “Back in the Saddle” and “Rats in the Cellar”.

I have to confess that on the challenge @OB1 set for me to hear the banjo, I failed miserably. Twice I listened to the album without hearing it, then I checked the credits and found that it was on “Last Child” – I listened to the song twice more, once on headphones and still didn’t hear it.

Whilst there’s not much variety from track-to-track, this means that there’s a consistency to the sound, and as a few people have already mentioned, the production is top-notch. This could easily pass for an album recorded in the 80s or 90s. A lot of the fun in listening to this album is the way the rhythm guitar lays down such great, choppy, chunky riffs and the lead guitar buzzes all over it like an elusive fly. Tyler’s “screaming” didn’t bother me – its rock music and you expect a bit of histrionics from the vocalist.

As several people have mentioned it, I thought I’d give the previous album, Toys in the Attic, a listen. It seems that the change in sound between these two albums was significant, and depending on your tastes, you could see it as a great leap forward, or the end of an era (or maybe both). Toys in the Attic has a more varied sound, almost as if the band are putting on a showcase for various styles from hard rock to cabaret-style show tunes, whereas Rocks pares down the sound to the razor-sharp guitars and Tyler goes wild behind the mic. On listening, I hadn’t noticed the bass and drums higher in the mix that Foggy mentioned, bit I did make a note at the time that Toys had a fuller sound – maybe that’s the same thing without realising it? For the record, I enjoyed both albums equally.

I haven’t listened to enough Aerosmith to know how long this more focussed and pared-down approach lasted after Rocks, but I note that on my favourite song of theirs released in 1987, “Dude Looks Like A Lady”, they were throwing in a horn section.

For me, Rocks is an enjoyable album to listen to with plenty of guitar to admire, but after it’s finished (for the third time) there isn’t a memorable song or two that I’d be hankering to play again. But I do like it better than last week’s offering from The Rolling Stones – any experimentation and left-turns are thrown out the window in favour of a consistent and cohesive sound that possibly set the template, in terms of tone and production, for a lot of bands like Van Halen that were to spring up in the next few years. 7/10.

Thoughtful review as ever.

On the memorable song front, Rocks is more about the overall feel and consistency. The songs run into one another and it's almost like one long song on each side. However, when you have played it as many times as I have, the individual songs do seem memorable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.