The Album Review Club - Week #123 - (page 1446) OK Computer - Radiohead

And are we going to get a rating for this weeks selection?
And should Rob add you to the list for the next round so you can nominate yourself?

Was doing a few things round the house today and couldnt find my CD of the album so went and put my old vinyl copy on...Only then I realised it was scratched to fuck. The curse of vinyl...particularly when wasted on the young (as I was long long ago)
I'd probably give it a 7/10
It's of it's time, lyrically good but suffers from being over produced possibly. Yeah I'll nominate an album if someone wants me to

I like album and artist selections that I've not heard of before, and this one was certainly one of them.

The bonus was having to listen through YouTube for this (not on Spotify in the US), which made me enjoy "Something On My Mind" even more with the footage. I swear if I just picked this album up, had it played from the beginning, and then asked, "name that year?", I'd have answered with something out of early 60's, so this definitely captured the spirit of their inspirations. The trumpet and flutes even fit the genre and mood, so the feeling they were going for was successfully met.

When hearing "Unless", in the beginning I was even hearing a cross between of "Mad World" from Tears For Fears and a bit of OMD, which wasn't a bad thing (check it out 2 minutes in).

Once "Natural" plays at track 5 with its guitars led sound, I'm feeling the Joe Jackson-ish mid 80s post punk/new wave sound of the time, and this track is one I'm quite fond of. If you slipped this one in amongst the Screaming Blue Messiah's tracks from three weeks ago, I might have been fooled in telling who was who in each.

"Faithful Pillow (Pt. 1)" is a great acoustic piece with nice defined beat and a strong trumpet sound that comes in towards the end. It sounds like a great piece that would work well in any movie showing a leisurely drive across the landscape.

"You'll Start a War" is another catchy number that I see was its own single and had a nice b&w video to accompany it. Strong in vocals, the guitars are of its time and the trumpet adds in nicely.

Back to the 60's for another b&w video for "Beyond Friday's Field". "Abergele Next Time" adds in the piano with the usual instruments, and it works well. "Crazier" gives us a video in technicolor, straight from the 1958 Newport Jazz festival movie. Keen eyes might even swear the boat was seen in the Gilligan's Island theme song on a three hour tour, but that might be a stretch. That's just what came to my mind when watching it.

"Faithful Pillow (Pt. 2)" has the same feel of Pt. 1 but uses the cello as its intro, and again, I don't mind hearing a good song again, here as the closer.

I can appreciate these songs for what they are in the light and breezy pop sound they attempt to capture. On it's own, this is probably a 6 for me, but I'm giving a point back to anything from Liverpool after this past Sunday because I'm still grateful, so it's 7/10 for me overall in probably liking these tracks more than I'd admit.

(the "From Across The Kitchen Table" video from their 2nd album just played after this one ended, and I quite liked that too. Another humorous b&w UK video to set the mood)

I'd probably give it a 7/10
It's of it's time, lyrically good but suffers from being over produced possibly. Yeah I'll nominate an album if someone wants me to
You're joining at a good time - as we are only five nominators away from the end of the round, you should get a go before the end of May. So get your thinking cap on!

I had a listen to this and the first track reminded me in parts of "17 Going Under" by Sam Fender! I like the song so it was a good start! :)

I remember lots of these bands from the early 80s and I could hear influences from Haircut 100 etc and you can tell they had a decent sound and something slightly different from the norm.

My problem though was that I couldn't really find much to get into in terms of 'hooks'. It certainly wasn't a bad album but I think there's other albums from that era I'd prefer.

6/10

You're joining at a good time - as we are only five nominators away from the end of the round, you should get a go before the end of May. So get your thinking cap on!
Will do and thanks. Is there a list of previous nominated albums? I'll have a look over thread to see how other's have done their nomination

I never knew Pale Fountains were Shack. @shackattack is your username owt to do with the band?
Yeah. Big Mick Head fan and have forgiven the fact he's a red even. His brother John is also a good songwriter and have seen them many times in various guises over the years. Seeing Mick do an intimate acoustic set in the Heavenly Social in London in late April.

Great stuff, I'll give the PF 8/10, more to do with the time it reminds me of, so good memories. Saw PF supporting Echo late 85 before they became Shack. Waterpistol probably my favourite but you can pick 2-3 belters off each MH album that wipes the floor with their peers (or Gallaghers) IMO.

PACIFIC STREET

I thought I heard this album before but after having listened to it I don’t remember any of the songs.
Coincidentally it also reminded me of Thomas Lang along with The Smiths and the bands Bimbo mentioned and obviously with Andy Diagram being a member of the band ,James.I found it a really difficult album to score, some nice instrumentation and vocals ,it was pleasant enough but no tracks really grabbed me.

6/10

Will do and thanks. Is there a list of previous nominated albums? I'll have a look over thread to see how other's have done their nomination
Page 1 of this thread has them all listed in their glory.

And as Coatigan is going to remind you, start at the bottom, because that's where the GOLD is!

It was supposed to be so eeeeeeasy, so I'll give you one I rated higher than most here:

117threespires1011181A Grand Don't Come For FreeThe Streets200416

I think all of the Radiohead catalog(ue) is up for grabs too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.