The Album Review Club - Week #123 - (page 1446) OK Computer - Radiohead

The repetition: whilst not exactly a concept album it’s got a consistent theme running through it and I think that is reflected in repeated musical motifs – I think this is deliberate rather than lacking in imagination.

There was one thing I didn't mention last night in my review on the music sounding repetition (and not the theme itself which was very deliberate). I'm glad I didn't too after actually looking up the album release history, was how much the guitar and beat sound in "Date Stamp" sounded like "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood, which I was familiar with prior when it first came out in 1984 (it was hard to escape unless actually living under a rock).

Sure enough, given this album came out first two years prior, it was Trevor Horn who then provided from "Date Stamp" nearly the same music sound on the 1984 "Relax" single from FGtH's debut album, I had credited the wrong group borrowing that sound. My bad, and it was interesting and not surprising to see Horn as part of both being that musical bridge.

Whoever it was complaining about the female voices, I’m pretty sure that at least in one or two instances it’s Tessa Niles, so jolly well stop moaning.
Not me, I liked the spoken "goodbye" in "The Look Of Love, Pt. 1". :-)
I scored the Colour of Spring 10/10 because there is literally nothing material I would change about that album.
Wish I was around for that Talk Talk selection, as I probably would have scored the same. Glad I have since enjoyed it immensely since discussed on the Playlist thread.

Last edited:
Work has been mad over last 2 weeks and if its not work its Union stuff, so havent had much chance to read and comment on here. But I think as ever the insightful and wise words of Rob/three/B&W etc, have said everything.

The idea of it being a concept album of sorts...so whats wrong with a similarity? The voice in relation to the production, yet the fragility of it goes with the songs perhaps? The (over) production?

...But then the fact it has once again brought back memories to so many of us. I was on my commute and listening and having little flashbacks to darkened rooms at houseparties and of course that gold suit and the album simply made me smile.

Indeed a classic of its time with some great hooks, great songs and therefore its a 7.5 from the Derry jury

hanging today so will keep it short and sweet.
enjoyed, just as i thought i would as i liked there best of album.
Has a rich pop sound and elements of Bowie.

7/10

Pick of the bunch
: Poison Arrow

Bonus Point: Martin Fry's Gold suit.

I'm runnng late again...

I'll be honest and say that when this came up for review my initial, prejudiced reaction was that I wasn't going to like it, based on my perceptions of that whole ABC, Spandau Ballet era. To try and give myself a bit of balance I asked my wife, who is fairly broad minded musically, if she had liked them back in the day. It wasn't actually a withering look but was a bit "what are you asking me a stupid question for". She didn't like them.

From that starting point and remembering the gif from Bimbo that was Talk Talk I think I went into it with a fairly open mind.

However, I didn't like it. His voice grates abit for me and what I thought was meant to be lyrical cleverness just sounded a bit trite. The bass was too much.

Sorry this just wasn't for me and it's a rare 5.

THE LEXICON OF LOVE

Sorry bit late, I’m 5 hours behind at the moment.

I had this album back in the day and loved it, I’ve not listened to it for years apart from the odd single on the radio.Its aged reasonably well as others have mentioned there are some stand out tracks , whereas others are possibly too similar.It was nevertheless an enjoyable listen for both me and the wife ( which is quite rare).

7/10 for the music

Extra point for MF mentioning ‘Stolen from Ivor’ took me back to my early clothes shopping for Parrells etc.

So 8/10

Scores all over the shop this week: ABC's The Lexicon of Love scored two 10s and two 9s but also managed to scrape together a couple of 3s and a couple of 4s as well. Still, it's a respectable average of 6.79 from 14 votes, and I think quite a few people enjoyed using the musical time machine to visit the school disco. Thanks to @BimboBob for the nomination.

This week, it's @southamptonblue to nominate and he's looking to post between 3.30 and 4.00 today so you can have a breather until then.

Just a note on next week's changeover. I'm off to sunny Spain for a week so @Coatigan has kindly volunteered to collect the scores and manage the changeover at this point next week. I'll update the table on page #1 when I return.

Sorry bit late, I’m 5 hours behind at the moment.
Nah you're not mate, you're right on time. Welcome back... ;-)

I had this album back in the day and loved it, I’ve not listened to it for years apart from the odd single on the radio.Its aged reasonably well as others have mentioned there are some stand out tracks , whereas others are possibly too similar.It was nevertheless an enjoyable listen for both me and the wife ( which is quite rare).
Memories are key.... @journolud also confirmed the lack of them as well with getting the stink eye from the missus can affect the scoring too. ;-)

Right, finished early, so forget the breather!! I would say a couple of posters could possibly guess the clues instantly.....if you are one, hold back and let others have a guess ;)

The band- I saw their last ever concert live, in my brother-in-laws garden, but I wasn't there!

The album- change the sun and moon around!

Right, finished early, so forget the breather!! I would say a couple of posters could possibly guess the clues instantly.....if you are one, hold back and let others have a guess ;)

The band- I saw their last ever concert live, in my brother-in-laws garden, but I wasn't there!

The album- change the sun and moon around!
I think I know & I won't guess & will be surprised if I'm wrong

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.