The Album Review Club - Week #122 - (page 1438) A Black Mile To The Surface – Manchester Orchestra

Someone called Midnight Oil “Australia’s U2” once, but I never felt that did them much justice – their concern for the universe and its people was forthright and direct, not received like U2’s, but they also didn’t have a knack for the hook like U2 did. Rob kind of hinted this as a bit different than we might expect had we heard them before, and he was right. I went back and listened to the hits I already knew, and this glides along like a train with its sort-of-blues-y, definitely-alt-y guitar whereas their big songs (here in the US) were more like hammers and you either cringed and resisted or were beaten into submission.

I found an awful lot of touchstones here to bands and songs I like, and while some might call that derivative, I think it’s great, since I LIKE their influences. Immediate points are awarded for the blatant “Fly Like An Eagle” rip-off that opens “Feeding Frenzy” (since “Fly Like An Eagle” is one of my very fave songs ever – it was in my top 20) and continues throughout, but we go up a notch with the picked-up tempo on “My Country”. That jangly guitar reminds me of late 80s REM, and there’s a little old Roxy Music here too in how the music likes to lift everything up along with it too. This was a definite high point for me – my favo(u)rite song on the album. “Renaissance Man” and the title track don’t really match up with what comes before them – just a little too pedestrian, I feel. Then we come to “Truganini”, and instantly I realize I know this song – it was a hit over here, even more REM-like than “Feeding Frenzy” and with a little Fixx guitar riff (very juicy), but a harmonica that (as is normal in rock music) is overused by being used at all. But it’s a very solid tune nonetheless; I’d prefer it if it ditched the harp and kept the energy up throughout rather than adding the quiet (it’s quiet, it must be “important”) part at the end. The additional percussion and staccato organ on “Bushfire” is a nice touch to an otherwise okay tune.

“Drums of Heaven” almost seems like riffs pieced together from three completely different songs. But another familiar one comes next – I don’t remember “Outbreak of Love” being a smash over here, but I’ve definitely heard it before. In this one the organ takes over Manzarek-style for a bit, but then soars into these well-constructed choruses. “In The Valley” is another one that can’t quite match up with its predecessors, but “Tell Me The Truth” is stylistically a throwback, almost Who-like. “Now Or Neverland” is a functional closer that refers back to the REM sound we’ve heard before. Honestly, I don’t think I heard one song here I didn’t at least find listenable.

But there is one thing definitely irritating about this record – in every single song (look at the lyric sheet – I did), Peter Garrett refers to “I”, “me” or “my” – usually “I”. So while I get this may be autobiographical or personal reflection, there’s a part of me that says (knows) this guy is so far up his own ass that he has a difficult time seeing the world through anything but his own lens, which dovetails with his proclivity to lecture the rest of us about the rotten state of the universe, whether he’s socially-conscious or not. As with the rest of the music I know by them, this isn’t an attempt to tug at the heartstrings as much as it is an attempt to bludgeon us with their (or, rather, Garrett’s) views, however right they might be. They’re just using a different sound to do so.

Now I recognize that as a professional critic (of stocks and companies) I write similar things, and this probably comes through in my music reviews too, before any of you start. This may be why I am sensitive to and/or can recognize such behavio(u)r. :)

Musically, I enjoyed this more than the stuff I know by them, and it’s consistently reasonably good throughout – nothing I want to put on endless repeat, but a record I’d absolutely listen to again. Docked a notch though for having – as I wrote before – a politician posing as a rock musician fronting the band. It’s between 6 and 7, pretty much right between. Our integer rule forces a choice. I will go 7, with a footnote that I like @RobMCFC better than Peter Garrett.

I'd only heard Beds Are Burning before so it was nice to hear that they'd done quite a bit more than that. I had a listen to this tonight whilst working and I can't make my mind up about it!

I liked the intro track, thought that was very good and I enjoyed hearing his voice. It reminded for some reason of Mick Jaggers and maybe that's why I quite liked it. I was hoping that the rest of the album would be like it to be honest.

There was a few other tracks on the album I liked - Outbreak Of Love, Renaissance Man and Truganini were the stand out ones for me. I thought his voice worked well on them and they are well made songs.

However, over the course of the album, I did find the faux-Jagger sound got too much. If I wasn't keen on a song it got too much and couldn't wait for it to end.

Overall, I've taken a few songs for a playlist but I don't think I'd listen to the album again.

6/10

Good stuff this - funky upbeat jingly jangly political Pop!

stand outs -
Renaissance Man, has a Beatles vibe this - especially the chorus - good funky track.
Trugnani- the biggest hit here, has a real manic street preachers vibe here, really does sound like a few of their hits.
In the valley - this one stuck with me the most, real catchy chorus and a sweet harmony. In the valleeeey I walk !
My Country - similar to ‘in the valley’ really, rousing chorus, another strong political anti patriotism theme
Feeding Frenzy - the coolest track on here, really like the vibe, people moan about his voice - this track he is a ringer for Mick Jagger - his voice fits the music just fine.
Drums of Heaven - another very good song. Guitars in this are good.

all in all, really enjoyed and my first time hearing any of their stuff apart from ‘Beds Are Burning’ which if that was also on this Album would have pushed it to a 8. I’ll go with a very solid …

7/10
Very interesting that two of you have made the Jagger comparisons. It's not something I had spotted but will listen closer next time. Thanks for listening.

Someone called Midnight Oil “Australia’s U2” once, but I never felt that did them much justice – their concern for the universe and its people was forthright and direct, not received like U2’s, but they also didn’t have a knack for the hook like U2 did. Rob kind of hinted this as a bit different than we might expect had we heard them before, and he was right. I went back and listened to the hits I already knew, and this glides along like a train with its sort-of-blues-y, definitely-alt-y guitar whereas their big songs (here in the US) were more like hammers and you either cringed and resisted or were beaten into submission.

I found an awful lot of touchstones here to bands and songs I like, and while some might call that derivative, I think it’s great, since I LIKE their influences. Immediate points are awarded for the blatant “Fly Like An Eagle” rip-off that opens “Feeding Frenzy” (since “Fly Like An Eagle” is one of my very fave songs ever – it was in my top 20) and continues throughout, but we go up a notch with the picked-up tempo on “My Country”. That jangly guitar reminds me of late 80s REM, and there’s a little old Roxy Music here too in how the music likes to lift everything up along with it too. This was a definite high point for me – my favo(u)rite song on the album. “Renaissance Man” and the title track don’t really match up with what comes before them – just a little too pedestrian, I feel. Then we come to “Truganini”, and instantly I realize I know this song – it was a hit over here, even more REM-like than “Feeding Frenzy” and with a little Fixx guitar riff (very juicy), but a harmonica that (as is normal in rock music) is overused by being used at all. But it’s a very solid tune nonetheless; I’d prefer it if it ditched the harp and kept the energy up throughout rather than adding the quiet (it’s quiet, it must be “important”) part at the end. The additional percussion and staccato organ on “Bushfire” is a nice touch to an otherwise okay tune.

“Drums of Heaven” almost seems like riffs pieced together from three completely different songs. But another familiar one comes next – I don’t remember “Outbreak of Love” being a smash over here, but I’ve definitely heard it before. In this one the organ takes over Manzarek-style for a bit, but then soars into these well-constructed choruses. “In The Valley” is another one that can’t quite match up with its predecessors, but “Tell Me The Truth” is stylistically a throwback, almost Who-like. “Now Or Neverland” is a functional closer that refers back to the REM sound we’ve heard before. Honestly, I don’t think I heard one song here I didn’t at least find listenable.

But there is one thing definitely irritating about this record – in every single song (look at the lyric sheet – I did), Peter Garrett refers to “I”, “me” or “my” – usually “I”. So while I get this may be autobiographical or personal reflection, there’s a part of me that says (knows) this guy is so far up his own ass that he has a difficult time seeing the world through anything but his own lens, which dovetails with his proclivity to lecture the rest of us about the rotten state of the universe, whether he’s socially-conscious or not. As with the rest of the music I know by them, this isn’t an attempt to tug at the heartstrings as much as it is an attempt to bludgeon us with their (or, rather, Garrett’s) views, however right they might be. They’re just using a different sound to do so.

Now I recognize that as a professional critic (of stocks and companies) I write similar things, and this probably comes through in my music reviews too, before any of you start. This may be why I am sensitive to and/or can recognize such behavio(u)r. :)

Musically, I enjoyed this more than the stuff I know by them, and it’s consistently reasonably good throughout – nothing I want to put on endless repeat, but a record I’d absolutely listen to again. Docked a notch though for having – as I wrote before – a politician posing as a rock musician fronting the band. It’s between 6 and 7, pretty much right between. Our integer rule forces a choice. I will go 7, with a footnote that I like @RobMCFC better than Peter Garrett.
Thanks, you're too kind. Great review as usual.

I also love "Fly Like an Eagle". Whilst I'm not sure "Feeding Frenzy" has the same rhythm, they both share that organ-driven otherwordliness, and I do love songs like that,

It's interesting that most Midnight Oil songs are joint efforts between Garrett, along with Jim Moginie and/or Rob Hirst. Looking at the breakdown for this album, Garrett has a hand in seven of the songs, so it's probably a fair bet that he wrote the lyrics to those seven. I'd not noticed the "I", "Me" "My" etc. but now you say it, he does sing that a lot.

There's no question that Midnight Oil like to bludgeon the listener with their politics - good job that their music is so good.

Last edited:
There's no question that Midnight Oil like to bludgeon the listener with their politics - good job that their music is so good.

just a curious question - would you still enjoy it if their politics was coming from a right wing angle- ie: lyrics and singing about anti immigration , anti abortion, anti gay marriage , pro guns etc
Just wondered if that would change the whole dynamic for the listener

just a curious question - would you still enjoy it if their politics was coming from a right wing angle- ie: lyrics and singing about anti immigration , anti abortion, anti gay marriage , pro guns etc
Just wondered if that would change the whole dynamic for the listener
Good question. Whilst it's the music I enjoy first and foremost, it's a lot easier to get behind a band singing about the rights of people on a land they were born in and promoting looking after the environment.

As they sing in "The Dead Heart" - Forty thousand years makes a difference to the state of things. Can't argue with that.

I would never endorse or listen to an artist who thought that it was OK to spout off about right-wing issues. Who in their right mind would feel comfortable about enjoying or singing along to songs about persecuting minority groups? Hell, I even have a problem with swearing in songs. Whilst I frequently swear myself, if you are going to lay down your art that may be around for decades, why waste words on obscenities? It's one of the reasons why Midnight Oil works for me but bands like Rage Against The Machine don't.

Whilst Midnight Oil come across as angry and supercharged, it's all about worthy causes that at best, you fully agree with or at worst, are ambivalent about.

Now that we are coming to the end of the week, if anybody wants to hear more Midnight Oil, I can heartily recommend the following 2-CD best of, crazily priced at £8. I recently bought this because it spans their entire career and there are some great songs from their early period.

Even better news, and perhaps unusually, this collection is available as an album on Spotify.

Fog I would prefer to categorise Peter as a frontman posing as a politician.

Well it didn’t help that I couldn’t really listen to this as an album. What I did listen too I liked well enough but felt others that have already been mentioned do it better. I heard the Beatles in particular and a little bit of Deep Purple on one of the early tracks. Overall though I felt it was a patchy album. Maybe that’s down to the fact that I have no grounding whatsoever in their music and was unaware of their politics. on the positive side, I did like the vocals and the album art work, but then I have a small collection of Australian indigenous art. So 4 for the music and 1 for the album cover giving it 5. Just a suggestion Rob but it would help if reviewers mention the best place to get/stream the album under review.

Well it didn’t help that I couldn’t really listen to this as an album. What I did listen too I liked well enough but felt others that have already been mentioned do it better. I heard the Beatles in particular and a little bit of Deep Purple on one of the early tracks. Overall though I felt it was a patchy album. Maybe that’s down to the fact that I have no grounding whatsoever in their music and was unaware of their politics. on the positive side, I did like the vocals and the album art work, but then I have a small collection of Australian indigenous art. So 4 for the music and 1 for the album cover giving it 5. Just a suggestion Rob but it would help if reviewers mention the best place to get/stream the album under review.
Yes, fair point. The album is available on Spotify, and I was going to say I was surprised that it's not on Amazon but I don't think their coverage is anything like as good as Spotify so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Glad you got to listen to it anyway,

The art on the album cover is very good and it does indeed look like indigenous Australian. However, in this case it's based on cave paintings in Mexico.

Thanks, you're too kind. Great review as usual.

I also love "Fly Like an Eagle". Whilst I'm not sure "Feeding Frenzy" has the same rhythm, they both share that organ-driven otherwordliness, and I do love songs like that,

It's interesting that most Midnight Oil songs are joint efforts between Garrett, along with Jim Moginie and/or Rob Hirst. Looking at the breakdown for this album, Garrett has a hand in seven of the songs, so it's probably a fair bet that he wrote the lyrics to those seven. I'd not noticed the "I", "Me" "My" etc. but now you say it, he does sing that a lot.

I was thinking about that riff right at the beginning of the song that almost sounds like a scale. If you go listen to FLAE (the version on the record, not the abbreviated single version), you’ll hear that exact riff — I thought it was a sample at first!

Been struggling to get My Country out of my head so I guess it’s going to go on the playlist :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.