The Album Review Club - Week #122 - (page 1438) A Black Mile To The Surface – Manchester Orchestra

I was thinking about that riff right at the beginning of the song that almost sounds like a scale. If you go listen to FLAE (the version on the record, not the abbreviated single version), you’ll hear that exact riff — I thought it was a sample at first!

Been struggling to get My Country out of my head so I guess it’s going to go on the playlist :)
Yes, I know which part you mean now - good spot.

"My Country" is entirely written by drummer Rob Hirst, so PG is borrowing the "My" here :)
It's definitely their most singalong chorus.

I assume you are ready to roll with your next selection tomorrow (and clues later)?

Yes, I know which part you mean now - good spot.

"My Country" is entirely written by drummer Rob Hirst, so PG is borrowing the "My" here :)
It's definitely their most singalong chorus.

I assume you are ready to roll with your next selection tomorrow (and clues later)?
I am — I’ll post my clues after you do your points sum up on this one.

I raise you... 'in the valley i waaaaaaaalk '
Definitely a contender. As I said in my intro, this is PG's most personal song, about a number of deaths in his family.
I only found out recently that his mum died in a house fire when he was 24, he tried to get back in to save her but failed and he carries a survivors guilt about not being able to rescue her. No wonder he's full of pent-up anger and rage :(

12 votes for an average of 6.50 puts Earth and Sun and Moon right in that congested area of the scoreboard.

Thanks to everybody who listened, scored and commented. I think it's fair to say that Peter Garrett's voice can spoil the experience for some, which is pretty much what I thought at the outset. Hopefully a few of you got something out of it.

With that, I'll hand the floor over to @FogBlueInSanFran to give us a clue for his 2nd pick.

Thanks again @RobMCFC for doing this thread!

I’m selecting American bands only, and records I love or very much like that are not already in @BlueHammer85's top 1,100 list.

We’ve had a lot of “serious” records so far, but not much pop, and little from this millennium, so I’ve picked something in a lighter vein, very listenable, and from post-2000.

Here are your clues (the first is the band; the second a clue to which record):

Tony S.jpg
Rachel H.png

Last edited:
Alabama 3
Blues

???
No.

The first picture is quite specifically literal. Meaning the name of the band is in the picture. Narrow down the options by thinking about the character pictured.

The second picture has to do with who that person is, and one of the things she's most famous for, which then points to the song which was the big hit from the album (the single peaked at #11 in the UK, and was a platinum seller).

Further hints forthcoming if no one gets it.

:)

Last edited:
No idea. Pop music from this century? That’s mostly off my radar.

Ive never seen The Sopranos, but I think that’s the main character in the first picture. “Mob”, “Gangster”?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.