The Album Review Club - Week #123 - (page 1446) OK Computer - Radiohead

Music awards ceremonies are generally bollocks but every now and then they throw up something special often in the form of a tribute to those who have passed on. One such is Neil Finn singing Better Be Home Soon for Paul Hester at the Arias, another one is Leslie Feist singing It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken with the remaining members of The Tragically Hip at the Junos. I worked in Halifax for a while and it had a pretty vibrant music scene but arguably the proudness in it's heritage, like Nova Scotia as a whole, made it a little bit parochial at times. However the one band that everyone knew and seemed to like irrespective of their normal genre preferences were this lot.

Bang on!!
Singer Gord Downey, was diagnosed with a brain tumour....so as you would, he got the doctors to pack their cases, and out they went for a farewell tour!
The last of which was in their home town of Kingston, Ontario, and was broadcast live on TV.....emotional is a bit of an understatement ;(
"When The Hip play...we are all Canadian"
I'm not, but the ex wife was brought up in Canada, and has alot of family there.....we were visiting at the time!
The middle album of a run of 3 fantastic ones, imo. Chose this one (close with 'trouble at the hen house') as ...and Grace too, and Nautical Disaster are 2 of my fav songs ever, despite being an 80's rocker at heart.
Not a 'favourite' band overall for me, as when the edge was replaced with shiny production, they weren't so much my thing! But this is.....enjoy, hopefully ;)
Interesting. A band I've heard of because I remember reading a glowing review of one of their albums many moons ago (can't remember which one, but it was probably in the 90s). Anyway, I thought that I must buy/listen to this album, but never did.

I used to going ski ing in Canada when the £ was very strong against the Canadian $,So I used to buy a lot of Canadian stuff back in the 90s including a couple by TTH
’Trouble in The Hen House’ was one of them but not this one.I didn’t listen to it much so this should be interesting.Blue Rodeo were massive there at the time.

Another clue about the band, like Oasis......in their homeland they are huge.....everywhere else not so much.
Ironically the question was asked today on the City Report Podcast (Coffee Corner): "who's the bigger band worldwide - U2 or Oasis?" ;-)

I just wanted to put Oasis' context in light of the comparison used above. To me there are distinct lines between each of the 3 bands in question, despite the humorous Oasis conclusions of being the bigger band arrived to on the show. ;-)

I'm sure a few of our UK band experts here can give us their equivalent to TTH in the UK.

After thinking and looking into the the US equivalent of TTH, Tom Petty or REM was offered up. Another on Reddit thought there'd be no US equivalent as any US band that would be as popular as The Tragically Hip is in Canada would be marketed extensively across the world. Fair point, I cannot argue.

TTH seemed to be the most popular in the US along the border cities like Buffalo, NY. In my year in the Detroit market in 1990, I don't recall ever hearing them, but getting past Detroit homegrown music is also a tough ask.

And as a final thought, in 2013, the Tragically Hip were one of four bands—alongside Rush, the Guess Who, and Beau Dommage—honoured by Canada Post in a series of postage stamps.

No mention of Bieber or Nickelback. Perhaps the latter are holding out for their own coin? ;-)

Ironically the question was asked today on the City Report Podcast (Coffee Corner): "who's the bigger band worldwide - U2 or Oasis?" ;-)

I just wanted to put Oasis' context in light of the comparison used above. To me there are distinct lines between each of the 3 bands in question, despite the humorous Oasis conclusions of being the bigger band arrived to on the show. ;-)

I'm sure a few of our UK band experts here can give us their equivalent to TTH in the UK.

After thinking and looking into the the US equivalent of TTH, Tom Petty or REM was offered up. Another on Reddit thought there'd be no US equivalent as any US band that would be as popular as The Tragically Hip is in Canada would be marketed extensively across the world. Fair point, I cannot argue.

TTH seemed to be the most popular in the US along the border cities like Buffalo, NY. In my year in the Detroit market in 1990, I don't recall ever hearing them, but getting past Detroit homegrown music is also a tough ask.

And as a final thought, in 2013, the Tragically Hip were one of four bands—alongside Rush, the Guess Who, and Beau Dommage—honoured by Canada Post in a series of postage stamps.

No mention of Bieber or Nickelback. Perhaps the latter are holding out for their own coin? ;-)

Perhaps the Bieber coin can depict him signing the visitor book at the Anne Frank museum and the Nickelback feature Chad washisname staring at female fans pulling their tops up. Canada's finest.

They also did stamps for Joni Mitchell along with Gordon Lightfoot and I think Paul Anka maybe.

I can’t think of a UK band but an obvious US band would be The Dave Matthews Band, love em or hate em ,they sell out huge stadiums but only fill small venues in the UK.
sell out Stadiums

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.