The Album Review Club - Week #123 - (page 1446) OK Computer - Radiohead

I read comparisons to the Canadian version of PJ and then Spotify Radio suggested Hootie (I haven't listened to any of that since hearing in the 90s, so don't even go there), so you are spot on. I'm halfway through and I hear the PJ comparison. (I prefer Darius solo over Hootie too).

I've got Silversun Pickups live tonight, so whatever I listen to beforehand will have a good finale.
Funnily, there were quite alot of Pearl Jam comparisons back in the day.....99% of the time by people who, when they realised the Hip had an EP and album out before Pearl Jam existed, quietly walked away mumbling and muttering to themselves ;)

First listen and once again the singers voice cuts through my brain like a hot thing passing through some milk based spread. It's also 'dirty' sounding. Not in a good way. Very much late 80's/ mid 90's dirge where nothing really grabs but it just rolls on and on...

We shall persevere.
I was close to nominating an album which is predominantly based on a Casio keyboard......next time, just for you Bob ;)

I can’t think of a UK band but an obvious US band would be The Dave Matthews Band, love em or hate em ,they sell out huge stadiums but only fill small venues in the UK.
sell out Stadiums
If there are nine circle of musical hell for me, Bob Seger occupies one, and Dave Matthews is on another one.

Getting my review in early as I'll be away next week.

Day for Night – The Tragically Hip

Before I started listening to this album, I had a good feeling about it. Why? Because as is often the case, I had a quick read about the album and noticed a few interesting facts, all of which can be summed up by: “Wow! This album has a link to Chris Whitley’s Living With The Law.”

The first thing I noticed was that one of the recording locations for Day for Night was Daniel Lanois’ fabled Kingsway Studios in New Orleans. Secondly, it was produced by Mancunian Mark Howard – engineer on Chris Whitley’s album. Finally, I read a review that mentioned that the album had a Lanoisesque sound.

As the opening track, “Grace, Too”, floats by, you can hear all of this – the bass, the sounds, the space between the sounds – I loved this song. “Daredevil” definitely has that gauzy production feel, but the bass and particularly the squally guitar break out of that to fine effect. “Greasy Jungle” starts with a bluesy guitar lick, and whilst most of the track is dominated by Gordon Downie’s vocal, the guitar gets an extended workout at the end.

The instruments are so minimal at the start of “Yawning Or Snarling” that you can’t help but get drawn into the vocal and the words but the band sound builds nicely as the song progresses. There are a few tracks in the middle that get the album bogged down a little but the last four tracks are all superb.

What I liked about this album was that there was plenty of energy – this is definitely a @southamptonblue album – helped by the squalling guitar and the number of times there was not so much a change of pace, but spaces in the music where the instruments were broken down to a minimum and built back up again (e.g. the bass in the middle section of “Yawning Or Snarling”).

It’s funny that Black&White&BlueMoon Town thought that this was going to be Midnight Oil because I’m definitely getting some Oils vibes from this album, mixed with a little mid-period R.E.M. The vocals aren’t as strident as Peter Garret and the guitars don’t rock as hard as early Oils (although they are getting there on tracks like “Emergency” and “An Inch An Hour” and lyrically on “Titanic Terrarium”), but on this outing, The Tragically Hip display a terrific mix of guitars, slinkly bass and thoughtful lyrics. There was a little bit of “gauziness” in the production where I thought that the sound of the instruments could have been captured with a little more clarity, but this is a minor quibble because on the whole, I did like the sound so it’s an 8/10.

After this album, I went straight on to Road Apples and it’s similarly gnarly, explosive and superb. Clearly a band I have missed out on.

"Light the candle!"

Who knew there were that many dippers who were also US golf fans.

Nice review btw and I like reading yours because they are quite different from mine. It got me thinking that a (jungian?) psychologist would have a field day with the reviews on here and the different way we all approach them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.