The Album Review Club - End of Round #8 (pg 1495) - Playlist Guessing Game

When bimbo made some excellent points re early digital music I was going to respond with tales of my own transition from 8 to 16 bit and how I saved up for an Atari St because of the midi and some imo very very interesting stories about my learning m68000 assembler.

Then I realised there's only so much people can take and I need to respect the thread.

But since then we've had Rob bring up Bryan Adams and now that Goat's gone and brought Gloria Estefan into it, I find myself wondering why did I bother to show such restraint.

Goat's point about the seasonality of music and timings of picks is very interesting though. Something like this pick could work both ways, some people might appreciate the summeriness as a relief from our winter weather whereas others like goat would rather it be heard more in it's natural environment.
As bad as synth makes me feel in winter, I can see it having little improvement in the summer!

As bad as synth makes me feel in winter, I can see it having little improvement in the summer!

I suppose if you are rocking the baywatch look at Stourbridge leisure centre rather than Laguna Beach you may very well have a point.

Plenty of synth from your last pick though, nearly gave it an additional point simply because Matt Bellamy owns an Arturia MatrixBrute :-)

I suppose if you are rocking the baywatch look at Stourbridge leisure centre rather than Laguna Beach you may very well have a point.

Plenty of synth from your last pick though, nearly gave it an additional point simply because Matt Bellamy owns an Arturia MatrixBrute :-)
I’ll have you know there’s a swirly slide at The Crystal Centre… very spacey!!!
In my simple mind, I don’t associate Muse synth sound as synth music … more keyboards in general. Give me Jon Lord over John Michel Jarre any day of the week.

So more Jackie Davies, One For My Baby style stuff? Must have been nice to listen to him.

If you like Hammond and you're ever in need of a 15 minute pick me up, watch Booker T's Jones's Tiny Desk Concert from a few years back. Pure joy.
Now your talking TP. Good thing is its top notch whatever mood you are in which is the cadence of all that is good about good music. Give me that rhythm all day long.

When bimbo made some excellent points re early digital music I was going to respond with tales of my own transition from 8 to 16 bit and how I saved up for an Atari St because of the midi and some imo very very interesting stories about my learning m68000 assembler.

Then I realised there's only so much people can take and I need to respect the thread.
I like reading it to simply verify how little I know about the instruments, and a few synth solos here and there between those of you well versed in ownership comparing the sounds never hurt anyone.

But like Rob and Peter Gabriel, I know what I like. Will be catching the synths very soon once I'm done thumping the enjoyable playlist thread bass.

I like reading it to simply verify how little I know about the instruments, and a few synth solos here and there between those of you well versed in ownership comparing the sounds never hurt anyone.

But like Rob and Peter Gabriel, I know what I like. Will be catching the synths very soon once I'm done thumping the enjoyable playlist thread bass.

Top man Peter Gabriel, if I remember correctly the first person in the UK to own a Fairlight CMI !!

Top man Peter Gabriel, if I remember correctly the first person in the UK to own a Fairlight CMI !!
He had a demo version for a week which he used in part on his third album. He then was part of the company that distributed them in the uk.

First customer? John Paul Jones.

Trevor Horn has stated that he bought the 4th or 5th one in the country. Richard Wright and Kate Bush also bought one.

He had a demo version for a week which he used in part on his third album. He then was part of the company that distributed them in the uk.

First customer? John Paul Jones.

Trevor Horn has stated that he bought the 4th or 5th one in the country. Richard Wright and Kate Bush also bought one.

I knew Kate Bush had one because of Never Forever, which the Landscape blokes helped her out with, but I would never have guessed John Paul Jones as the first to actually cough up money for one. Canny bloke that Peter Gabriel. You used to read about the early adopters hiring them out to other musicians presumably as a result of both their cost and them being a complete pain in the arse by all accounts.

I’ll have you know there’s a swirly slide at The Crystal Centre… very spacey!!!
In my simple mind, I don’t associate Muse synth sound as synth music … more keyboards in general. Give me Jon Lord over John Michel Jarre any day of the week.

There is indeed! Wasn't it the Crystal Centre a few years ago where someone accidently 'took the plug out' and drained the place a just before the kids holidays?!

Tbf fair what we are listening to this week is pretty niche from a synth perspective, as you say most synths are employed in service of broader genres I wouldn't consider any of my favourite users of synths to be synth bands as such. Like every other bugger, Jon Lord did actually use one of the dreaded DX7 synths but mercifully the image that comes to mind when I think of him is him clambering over that massive custom hammond.

Really not my thing this one. I tried my final listen in the car yesterday and Mrs Daze begged me to put the football on the radio.
Found the whole thing very one dimensional and generally boring. For the vocals were a huge distraction and whilst not a huge fan of sax it was a welcome relief at times.
I believe nil points is not allowed so I reluctantly give it a 1/10 as there was some guitar hidden away. If @threespires informs me the guitar is a created sound on a keyboard I reserve the right to argue with the scoring system.
For the record it wasn’t the rags game she made me listen to!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.