The Album Review Club - End of Round #8 (pg 1495) - Playlist Guessing Game

Really not my thing this one. I tried my final listen in the car yesterday and Mrs Daze begged me to put the football on the radio.
Found the whole thing very one dimensional and generally boring. For the vocals were a huge distraction and whilst not a huge fan of sax it was a welcome relief at times.
I believe nil points is not allowed so I reluctantly give it a 1/10 as there was some guitar hidden away. If @threespires informs me the guitar is a created sound on a keyboard I reserve the right to argue with the scoring system.
For the record it wasn’t the rags game she made me listen to!!

I think it's probably 'real' guitar as I think one of them does play, but it's always possible he's sampled his guitar sound and then stuck it into the software just to spite you :-)

You've now sent me off on a mental tangent about guitar synths - in the 80's I used to think they were quite cool, I saw The Enid and was quite impressed with Stephen Stewart and the very futuristic looking Roland GR707 that he had. Mercifully they turned out not to be the future of guitars. Which has in turn made me think about the old BBC programme Rock School because I can remember Dierdre Cartwright demonstrating the GR707 on it.

Don't know if anyone remembers it ? It was a weird but brilliant BBC tv series - there was a house band that 'taught' you how to be in a rock band but in the style of open university lecturers. They would have guest 'teachers' from the biggest bands, 'now listen carefully children whilst Bootsy Collins explains to you how to funk the life out it'.

I think it's probably 'real' guitar as I think one of them does play, but it's always possible he's sampled his guitar sound and then stuck it into the software just to spite you :-)

You've now sent me off on a mental tangent about guitar synths - in the 80's I used to think they were quite cool, I saw The Enid and was quite impressed with Stephen Stewart and the very futuristic looking Roland GR707 that he had. Mercifully they turned out not to be the future of guitars. Which has in turn made me think about the old BBC programme Rock School because I can remember Dierdre Cartwright demonstrating the GR707 on it.

Don't know if anyone remembers it ? It was a weird but brilliant BBC tv series - there was a house band that 'taught' you how to be in a rock band but in the style of open university lecturers. They would have guest 'teachers' from the biggest bands, 'now listen carefully children whilst Bootsy Collins explains to you how to funk the life out it'.
I think I can breathe a sigh of relief then!
I do remember rock school. I wish I’d paid more attention. I’ve discovered that as a FOC learning to play the guitar is not that easy.
However, it turns out that my dream guitar which was my retirement present to myself turned out to be a nightmare. It seems that the nitro cellulose finish that Gibson among others use is not for me. I have some sort of reaction to it that creates a static field which when amplified is not pleasant.
So I’m now in the process of sourcing a replacement with a poly finish which I’m okay with and doesn’t cause the same reaction.
And I had the temerity to suggest your synth chat was boring ;)

Interestingly

My scores for bimbo - 8/10, 6/10, 6/10, 7/10, 6/10 - all write ups very respectful.

bimbo scores on mine -
Smiths (Queen is dead) - 'very poor choice' - didn't score.
Oasis - Masterplan - generic, average 4/10
Chemical Brothers - 'had 1 listen' - didn't score
Pearl Jam - No score
David Gray - ''samey and bland' 5/10
Noel G - 'whiny and predictable ' 4/10
Once - 'dire and turgid' 0/10
The Midnight - 2/10

Clearly my picks are all just that bad.

Last edited:
I think I can breathe a sigh of relief then!
I do remember rock school. I wish I’d paid more attention. I’ve discovered that as a FOC learning to play the guitar is not that easy.
However, it turns out that my dream guitar which was my retirement present to myself turned out to be a nightmare. It seems that the nitro cellulose finish that Gibson among others use is not for me. I have some sort of reaction to it that creates a static field which when amplified is not pleasant.
So I’m now in the process of sourcing a replacement with a poly finish which I’m okay with and doesn’t cause the same reaction.
And I had the temerity to suggest your synth chat was boring ;)

It thought it was only the Custom shop that still used nitro, but I presume that's what you meant by your dream guitar? Obviously as a synthy modernist I disapprove of the aging effect with nitro and would favour a completely sterile shiny poly look :-) Plus I couldn't afford it anyway!

Synths are where it's at for us FOCs, forget trying to get your fingers flexible again through hours of practice ;-) had I known as a child spending hours practicing my arpeggios that one day I'd be able to press a button and all sorts of clever shit would kick in then I'd have saved myself and my long suffering clarinet teacher (James Galway's brother!) a load of pain.

Joking aside I'm convinced that hard though it is, learning an instrument a bit later in life really helps keep you young. Hope you get sorted with something that really feels good.

It thought it was only the Custom shop that still used nitro, but I presume that's what you meant by your dream guitar? Obviously as a synthy modernist I disapprove of the aging effect with nitro and would favour a completely sterile shiny poly look :-) Plus I couldn't afford it anyway!

Synths are where it's at for us FOCs, forget trying to get your fingers flexible again through hours of practice ;-) had I known as a child spending hours practicing my arpeggios that one day I'd be able to press a button and all sorts of clever shit would kick in then I'd have saved myself and my long suffering clarinet teacher (James Galway's brother!) a load of pain.

Joking aside I'm convinced that hard though it is, learning an instrument a bit later in life really helps keep you young. Hope you get sorted with something that really feels good.
There are some guitar experts on here so I’ll admit to being a novice. I’m pretty sure Gibson use nitro across the range. Mine was a LP Standard but it turned out to be an expensive ornament!
PRS use their own nitro variant which I can’t play either. I’m looking at a Suhr as a trade in which should be okay as long as it plays nice - not in my hands obviously!
I’d agree learning something like guitar in ‘later years’ is well worth it. It taxes the the brain and certainly passes the time. It’s a good indoor hobby when the weather is rubbish as well.

Interestingly

My scores for bimbo - 8/10, 6/10, 6/10, 7/10, 6/10 - all write ups very respectful.

bimbo scores on mine -
Pearl Jam - No score
The Midnight - 2/10

Don't feel too bad, BimboBob currently has the lowest scoring average of those with more than 40 votes: 5.04.

Although I notice all his scores for yours are even below that average!

Interestingly

bimbo scores on mine -
Pearl Jam - No score
The Midnight - 2/10

Given your allegiances maybe Bimbo has gone full Tubbs on you....

1708349295665.png
:-)

Interestingly

bimbo scores on mine -
Pearl Jam - No score
The Midnight - 2/10

Did I not score Pearl Jam?

Let me rectify that right now. I've had a listen...7/10

I like a bit of Pearl Jam.

You Were lucky I gave Mr Gray such a high score!

This ultimately turned out to be not for me. It is the sound and the synths, not the ability or songwriting which are both worthy of recognition. The autotune filter aslo, just, no. There was a point over the 2nd listen where it felt I could be swung to it, but in the end I was not. If it appeared in a film or a series, I would probably find myself commenting on it being good and looking it up. But as a whole album, it gets too much for me.

I usually go with a 5 when an album is not for me but I recognise the qualities for others. However, I did I quite liked the songs Sunset and Comeback Kid, which is 2 more songs than most such instances. So I guess that merits it a 6.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.