The Album Review Club - End of Round #8 (pg 1486) - Playlist Guessing Game

As much as Dylan and Springsteen are lauded for their composition and playing ability their voices are a completely different matter. One nasal, one guttural, both put me off their music. There are quite a lot of early 80's new wave singers who are technically better than the two you mentioned.
Yes, sorry, reading back my post, I realised it could be misinterpreted.

What I was trying to say was that I like Springsteen and Dylan but fully accept that their voices won't be liked by everybody. So I was trying to preface my dissing of the atonal warblers by saying that I realise that I was launching my stones from a very large glass house.

I generally don't mind singers who are nasally, croaky, a bit gruff or even off-key unintentionally, but it's the deliberate attempts to sound different by adopting that new wave/punk wail that grinds my gears.

You don't think someone like Martin Gore starts with a tonic?

At the risk of putting words into robs mouth I suspect he was using the term colloquially.

Always interesting to me how it's rarely the more objective things like pitch issues or range that really make people dislike or like a singer; so often it's timbre, resonance, weight and all those other qualities that seem to matter more.

To balance out @BlueHammer85 's two albums in the top 8 of our increasingly mammoth league table, he does a nifty line in the lower leagues: The Midnight's Endless Summer is his fourth selection that sits below 90th position. It seems that synthwave is not that popular with us old bastards, with 12 votes at an average of 4.67.

Time for @bennyboy to step forward .....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.