The Album Review Club - Week #124 - (page 1478) The Magical World of the Strands - Michael Head & The Strands

Of all the punk bands that i have seen The UK Subs were the loudest.
Grangemouth Town Hall.
Ears were ringing for days.
The only act to come close to them was Motorhead at the Glasgow appollo.Bomber tour.
The Rezilos another group i would regularly see as well.
3 groups that i have not listened to this century.lol.
Motörhead Bomber tour - I think I’ve still got the t- shirt. Those were the days… if your ears rang for 2-3 days it was a belting gig!!

Motörhead Bomber tour - I think I’ve still got the t- shirt. Those were the days… if your ears rang for 2-3 days it was a belting gig!!

Didn't see Motorhead until the No Remorse tour at the Mayfair in Newcastle, by far the longest period of time it took my hearing to recover after a gig. It was about a month later on the same tour that they supposedly caused the ceiling to crack and plaster to fall on the audience in a US theatre they were playing in, so I suppose I should have been grateful for small mercies!

It's quite polite, considered punk this isn't it? Not yet decided if that's a good or a bad thing yet.

One way of putting it. It certainly lacks the harshness of some punk music which is probably why I can still listen to it now. Dare I say it actually has some tunes on it.

That's probably one of the main things I like about it. Not that I have an issue with harshness at all, but it can often feel quite forced. I generally find punk of that era a bit like grunge, a touch up its own arse, and style first music second. This doesn't feel like that. A band I've probably unfairly bracketed with some of its time and as a consequence avoided. But really enjoying it.

Incidentally, almost an opposite of the old me young me discussion that was about last week, the older me likes this a lot more than the younger me maybe would have.

I'll come back with a review but this is very much up my street and I'm a bit surprised it didn't catch on here given the positive press over there, but perhaps that's because we had other punk/barely post-punk bands that hit more "American" (how ironic given "Gary Gilmore's Eyes"). I've often thought (and said) that it was the peculiarly British nature of The Jam that kept them being as popular here; think maybe the same with The Adverts. More surprised I hadn't heard this whole record before though I do know GGE.

A step back in time! I think my classic rock upbringing stopped me being a punk back in the day. Lots of kids did go down the tartan and safety pin route, but I stuck to my comforting long haired patchouli oil crew.
I did enjoy a lot of the music that was around at the time. The joy of listening to this album on Spotify was the as hoc playlist at the end - The Lurkers, The Vibrators, X Ray Spex, The Rezillos, Sham 69, The Ruts, Uk Subs… the hugely enjoyable list goes on.
Listening to the album I felt it may once have screamed to my younger self, but sadly no longer a Bored Teenager it didn’t really chime. There is nothing wrong with it - fast tempo driving instruments and angry vocals I enjoy. It just doesn’t chime with my 61 year old psyche.
A pleasant trip down memory lane - an overall punk playlist was more enjoyable. A solid 7/10 - more to enjoy than dislike

I suppose you can't argue when the medical profession move fast in your favour, however as I'll be having an MRI tomorrow afternoon, I will have to shift the changeover until later tomorrow evening.

It will be an interesting one as Foggy is busy tomorrow and has sent me all the details for his nomination.

Reactions: OB1
Crossing the Red Sea – The Adverts

Listening to this album, it’s a mix of the expected and unexpected. Whilst I like to try to treat every poster’s nomination with respect and listen with due diligence, I always have an initial gut reaction that the current week’s album is going to be good or bad.

A punk band with an album from 1978 registered an “urgh!” from my gut, but listening to Crossing the Red Sea by The Adverts was a better experience than I expected.

The album is refreshingly free from gimmicks – it’s just a guitar album with a band giving it their all. There were aspects of it that I didn’t like, and the good and the bad is nicely exemplified by “Bored Teenagers” – some feisty guitar and even a short, unexpected break near the end where the bass and drums take over. This shows a little bit of thought – bit on the flipside, the chorus is more than a little repetitive.

The funny thing is, whilst the sound of the guitar on this album is much more up my street than those on the Jimmy East World album, it feels like the songs on last week’s effort were better thought out and had a structure. The songs on Crossing the Red Sea have a ramshackle approach which only sometimes works for me.

For the most part, the vocals remain on the acceptable side of a snarl. Coatigan said that punk can sometimes feel "a touch up its own arse", and I absolutely agree – this is what puts me off it most of all. Funnily enough, this was the feeling I got on “Gary Gilmore’s Eyes” more than any other song here, which is probably why it was so popular with punks!

“Bombsite Boy” does tread similar territory – after a start that is both slug-like and weird in equal measures, it breaks out into the standard punk template of shouty cockney-style chorus which repeats. But to be fair, for the most part, this album avoids the obvious punk approach.

Shame about the shouty bits in “No Time to Be 21” – there’s some guitar in this that reminds me of early Midnight Oil. Now if only they had a vocalist with the charisma of Peter Garrett

“Safety in Numbers” is a good track. I enjoyed the thrumming bass through the verse running into the anthemic chorus and the chord changes that come with it.

I’m not likely to listen to this again, but for some decent guitar parts, and the fact that it exceeded my expectations, I’m going for 6/10.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.