The Album Review Club - End of Round #8 (pg 1495) - Playlist Guessing Game

Ill stick it on the maybe list. I think your comment about “teens” makes sense because artists who paint their face and stick their tongues out don’t really do it for me. Just stick to your jeans and t-shirt and concentrate on the music has always been my mantra.

I was weened on Glitter Rock so I've never had that outlook. I've always liked bands that put on a show. If all Kiss had was a show, they wouldn't still be filling arenas.

I may well review Destroyer one day for this thread so won't say too much. You might not like it but if you haven't listened to them it will surprise. Also, for a mid 70's release, the production is outstanding but then the man on the faders was one the great rock producers - three years later he produced The Wall for Floyd.

I was weened on Glitter Rock so I've never had that outlook. I've always liked bands that put on a show. If all Kiss had was a show, they wouldn't still be filling arenas.

I may well review Destroyer one day for this thread so won't say too much. You might not like it but if you haven't listened to them it will surprise. Also, for a mid 70's release, the production is outstanding but then the man on the faders was one the great rock producers - three years later he produced The Wall for Floyd.
No worries - it was only a flippant comment, and I’m sure Kiss are a good band. I just need some way to decide who to listen to. I’m not really a Bowie fan either.

Ive listened to the album 3 times now and whilst I really like some tracks others didnt appeal. I wasnt really into punk in the late 70's (how could I replace being a prog fanatic with simple punk bands :) Its an age thing I guess.
However this is more post punk obviously.
I really like the opening song, with its influences, I guess thats my favourite. Except for Favorite Thing I prefer the slower tracks. I really like the very crisp drumming high in every mix.Evevery band needs a great rhythm section. Production on this album is superb, it sounds like it was made last week to me.
Thanks for nominating it Foggy, Id never actually heard of this band, but I will listen to this album in the future. I might skip the heavier punk rock songs like Were Coming Out though :)

Heres my scores, I dont know the average but Id like to give it a solid 7.

I Will Dare - 8/10
Favorite Thing - 7/10
We're Comin' Out - 3/10
Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out -5/10
Androgynous - 7/10
Black Diamond - 6/10
Unsatisfied - 8/10
Seen Your Video - 6/10
Gary's Got A Boner - 4/10
Sixteen Blue - 7/10
Answering Machine - 5/10
I make that 66/110 or 60%. 6/10

No worries - it was only a flippant comment, and I’m sure Kiss are a good band. I just need some way to decide who to listen to. I’m not really a Bowie fan either.
Bowie the showman never interested me. Bowie the musician has — especially the stuff Eno produced, but plenty of earlier stuff too. Kiss were fun because they put out a few righteous tunes, but among radical semi-metal showmen, are they better musically than Dee Snider and Twisted Sister? Yes. Alice Cooper? I’d say not. Ozzy? I’d say definitely not — I really like Ozzy’s first two solo records — Randy Rhoads’ early death was the loss of an incredible prodigy who would have gone on to great things on his own.

Just back from a fishing trip since Tuesday so will be posting a review today. What’s the cut off time ?

I plan to do the round-up on Monday afternoon.
Hope you had a good trip.
Yes mate. Good banter and the fishing was ok too. Will get the review in later today. Have listened to the album a couple of times but need to give it another run.

Bowie the showman never interested me. Bowie the musician has — especially the stuff Eno produced, but plenty of earlier stuff too. Kiss were fun because they put out a few righteous tunes, but among radical semi-metal showmen, are they better musically than Dee Snider and Twisted Sister? Yes. Alice Cooper? I’d say not. Ozzy? I’d say definitely not — I really like Ozzy’s first two solo records — Randy Rhoads’ early death was the loss of an incredible prodigy who would have gone on to great things on his own.

Kiss are one of my most favourite bands but it is about the whole package and the impact of seeing them play their first ever UK gig (@19 gigs they are the band I've seen the most; alongside Rush). Anyway, I like them far more than their music alone would justify.

Musically Kiss are way better than Twisted Sister, who I've first saw in NY before they broke nationally or internationally. I've actually drunk tea with Dee Snider at Wrexham Football Club.

Alice has a far stronger body of work musically than Kiss - his newest album is really good - and far more varied but I like Kiss a bit more. I am debating whether or not to go and see both acts (separately) next year.

Overall, I think Kiss' work is better than Ozzy's solo stuff post Randy Rhoads. Rhoads was incredible though and some of the riffs he wrote for Ozzy are truly wonderful. I think we got to say hello to him after one Manchester gig that we had passes for, we certainly went on to a club where Ozzy was having a quiet drink with his first wife, Rhoads was so unassuming that I can't be sure now. He was though a sad loss.

Bowie was my favourite artist for a time - before Kiss - and I still like his early stuff the best. I lost interest for a time and didn't really appreciate the stuff with Eno until much later but I love it now. The run of albums he made from Man Who Sold the World through to Heroes is quite an incredible body of work. The variety and quality is perhaps matched by only by a very few artists over a similar number of albums.

Last edited:

I went to see Kiss at the Free Trade as a mate had just bought ’Kiss Alive’
great visually but musically not for me.I never listened to much by them since
so I’d be interested to listen to ‘Destroyer’ if its on this thread for review.
I too was brought up on Glam Rock as my older brother was a Bowie freak.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.