The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

THE WATERBOYS THIS IS THE SEA

As my original pick LF was hijacked by @stoneblue I’ve decided to move from the 70s the best period of music ,in my opinion to the 80s and a band I love.I could’ve picked any of the first four albums but I think they hit their prime with TITS lol.I’d seen them perform live as the support to U2 on ‘The Unforgettable Fire Tour ‘ at the Manchester Apollo and I was hooked.They are named after a Lou Reed lyric.Bit more trivia MS is self taught on the piano but the piano he learnt on was broken so he could only play the black keys.

The band has had many formations with Mike Scott the main songwriter ,lead singer and multi instrumentalist,it was this album that he finalised the sound of ‘The Big Music.’ a similar production technique to Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound.For the next few albums MS moved to Ireland and the result was the more Irish folky ‘Fisherman’s Blues which I love , but this is my favourite period.

Most of you will instantly recognise the hit single ‘The Whole of the Moon’ probably my least favourite on here as it’s been played to death.This was recorded with what I consider the best version of TWB .Other multi instrumentalists ,Karl Wallinger who went on to form World Party,,Steve Wickham and Anthony Thistlethwaite amongst them.
The album opens with ‘Don’t bang the Drum’ which starts with a heralding trumpet and immediately gives the listener the full effect of The Big Music.Then the big hit a great song that I’m sure your all familiar with.I try not to choose albums with well known singles on, which is probably the reason for my Warren Zevon pick not being Excitable Boy.
Followed by two tracks expressing Mike Scott’s interest in spiritualism and paganism.The Pan within is an epic track with Steve Wickhams violin leading the way.
Medicine bow is an out and out rocker, Old England written about the Thatcher government could easily have been written today.
Be my enemy is MS tribute to Dylan.like Springsteen,,Van Morrison, Lou Reed, MS always been considered as a rock poet.
Trumpets a love song with Anthony Thistlethwaites wailing sax.
The album ends with the title track and what a great closer it is.

It’s a nice short album but the extended version has lots more to explore especially the full version of ‘Spirit’ and of course TWB cover VMs ‘Sweet Thing’I decided to nominate this well before last weeks pick but there are obvious VM influences on this record.
Great selection. Agree wholeheartedly about the title track - maybe it’s the old adage of being overplayed. The rest of the album is great. Pagan Place is probably my favourite but I’ll gladly listen to this again, I’ve not heard it for a few years

Small world...

the album's principal songwriter and leader of the Waterboys, describes This Is the Sea as "the record on which I achieved all my youthful musical ambitions","the final, fully realised expression of the early Waterboys sound", influenced by The Velvet Underground and Van Morrison's Astral Weeks ''

Small world...

the album's principal songwriter and leader of the Waterboys, describes This Is the Sea as "the record on which I achieved all my youthful musical ambitions","the final, fully realised expression of the early Waterboys sound", influenced by The Velvet Underground and Van Morrison's Astral Weeks ''
At least Mike Scott can sing though ;)

An American music critic on The Waterboys: "How the hell could they be U2 imitators? They're Scottish. Pompous as hell too."

Well then.

I wish I could recall what I thought of them when I saw them 40 years ago. Probably didn't think about it much cuz I was waiting for U2 and/or drunk and/or high. But on my hundreds-of-songs-but-only-one-by-each-band Spotify list, TWOTM has been there for ages. Very much looking forward to this!

An American music critic on The Waterboys: "How the hell could they be U2 imitators? They're Scottish. Pompous as hell too."

Well then.

I wish I could recall what I thought of them when I saw them 40 years ago. Probably didn't think about it much cuz I was waiting for U2 and/or drunk and/or high. But on my hundreds-of-songs-but-only-one-by-each-band Spotify list, TWOTM has been there for ages. Very much looking forward to this!
I was trying to figure out why *I* didn't remember The Waterboys opening up for U2 on that tour, and then I figured it out - that's because Lone Justice did. Needless to say, I enjoyed the 2nd act much more.

So I didn't get to see The Waterboys live, but later on I sure enjoyed "Fisherman's Blues" later on in college. Looking forward to this week's album for a likely first ever listen.

I was trying to figure out why *I* didn't remember The Waterboys opening up for U2 on that tour, and then I figured it out - that's because Lone Justice did. Needless to say, I enjoyed the 2nd act much more.

So I didn't get to see The Waterboys live, but later on I sure enjoyed "Fisherman's Blues" later on in college. Looking forward to this week's album for a likely first ever listen.
Here was mine; basically the same set list for U2:

I found the WBs setlist -- apparently they DIDN'T play TWOTM since they hadn't released it. No wonder I don't recall. The fact that they covered Watchtower AND have a song called "Rags" is encouraging . . .
  1. Bury My Heart
  2. The Three Day Man / All Along the Watchtower
  3. A Girl Called Johnny
  4. All the Things She Gave Me
  5. Ribbon of Steel
  6. Rags
  7. Red Army Blues
  8. Savage Earth Heart
One thing I recall is how much fun 1984 was. I bet I saw 40 shows that year in DC and in SF. Definitely my biggest concert-going year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.