The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

I've liked some of the inxs songs I've heard on the radio but never wanted to listen to a whole album. Reflecting on this I think it's because I first heard them when they were already famous. MH was a rockstar and it all felt obvious and cliche and I was a bit of a snob. I've been meaning to take another listen because @BlueHammer85 keeps going on about them

Probably in the same boat re. perception of them, but off the back of this pick it's been quite interesting reading about their rise to fame and about MH himself who though I was obviously aware of him I knew very little of. The only thing of theirs I was familiar with was Kick which I seem to remember at the time I thought was overblown and soulless. As big as that album was this is more pleasing to my ears.

Hi, Rob. If 1 = Clown Shoes and 10 equates to Life Changing Classic (lol), it's a 6.5 rounded to 7 from me. I haven't heard the full album in close to 40 years. Some good songs and memories. Good choice. BTW, I just liked your Lonesome Jubilee review. I need to keep up!
Yes, that’s right, 10 high, 1 low.

If you like The Lonesome Jubilee and LLT, you should definitely sign up :)

Seriously, though. We are always looking out for new members. I think we have a great bunch of posters on this thread who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Whether you nominate an album or just get stuck in with reviews and discussion, everybody is welcome.

If this was Kick I'd be scoring it a lot higher. I've had two listens now and nothing has really grabbed me apart from the drum pattern from Western Promise by Ultravox appearing in Kiss The Dirt. Ish.

I've never been a fan of this sort of middle of the road rock. I suppose what made Kick stand out was the heavier production and the different styles. This album just seems to be rambling on and on with little or no shocks. There's no Never Tear Us Apart, there's no Guns In The Sky, no Need You Tonight, even no Mediate, songs that were evenly placed in Kick to move it up a notch.

It will get one more listen tomorrow, when I'm all relaxed and mellow...
No doubt that Kick is my favourite album, but “Mediate” is pretty throwaway in the grand scheme of things.

LLT has its strengths and weaknesses but as I said in my write-up, it was a very important stepping stone on the way to Kick. The back-to-back of the title track and “Kiss The Dirt” is as good as anything they put out.

Probably in the same boat re. perception of them, but off the back of this pick it's been quite interesting reading about their rise to fame and about MH himself who though I was obviously aware of him I knew very little of. The only thing of theirs I was familiar with was Kick which I seem to remember at the time I thought was overblown and soulless. As big as that album was this is more pleasing to my ears.

If you have the time and inclination, listen to Welcome to Wherever You Are next.

Thread News

Gornik has asked to be put further down the list so I'll need one of the following to step in this Wednesday if that's OK?
I suspect as BlueHammer is only returning from holiday today he won't be ready, but I've included him just in case.

Note that however this pans out, everybody will be bumped one week earlier anyway.

@BlueHammer85
@bennyboy
@OB1

Thread News

Gornik has asked to be put further down the list so I'll need one of the following to step in this Wednesday if that's OK?
I suspect as BlueHammer is only returning from holiday today he won't be ready, but I've included him just in case.

Note that however this pans out, everybody will be bumped one week earlier anyway.

@BlueHammer85
@bennyboy
@OB1
I can do Wednesday.

I am glad we have a three listen format. Because, at first listen, this would have got Bimboed to fuck, I'd have probably been pushing it with a 3.

But now three listens in I can just about generously stretch it to a 5.

So much is made of them being 'Australian'. Am I missing something, is that meant to be some discerning thing? Because they sound as generic as any other such 80s band from the States or the UK. If their only distinguishing feature, is that people can claim they are Australian, kind of says it all for me.

I am maybe being too harsh, due to some real hope and expectation here.

There is nothing really wrong with it at all. Pleasant 80s man in touch with his softer side voice, tick. Musicians thay can play their instruments to a proficcient level, tick. Poppy catchy tunes, you can clap your hands to, tick. Some nicely written bits of songs, tick. A little bit 'rocky', without ever disrupting or upsetting anything, synthy enough to be relevant. Throw in a sax too, flavour of the times.

There are comparisons to make with Del Amitri, Deacon Blue there, or even maybe Big Country here and there. And maybe I would have even liked this a bit more a couple of decades ago. But now, perhaps just this particular week, I find it one of so many interchangable bands of its time.

The strongest thing about it, is the bass, hands down. It is what carries it right through. I'll give it an extra point for that.

Red Red Sun is the best song for me, the only one that moved me a little. The rest, fone to listen to but nothing that caught me, and I really wanted it to. A 6 all in I guess then. I plan to return to it in a few weeks, just in case it is a timing issue here catching me in an odd mood, or if that first impression has just left too strong a taste I haven't been able to shift.

On INXS, I don’t have this album although I do have all or most of the subsequent ones. Not sure why I didn’t go back and buy this one: always loved the title track.

Anyhoo, it’s definitely a warm up for the monster that is “Kick”. It’s not as good as the latter but I enjoyed it and will give it 7.5 / 10.

I am glad we have a three listen format. Because, at first listen, this would have got Bimboed to fuck, I'd have probably been pushing it with a 3.

But now three listens in I can just about generously stretch it to a 5.

So much is made of them being 'Australian'. Am I missing something, is that meant to be some discerning thing? Because they sound as generic as any other such 80s band from the States or the UK. If their only distinguishing feature, is that people can claim they are Australian, kind of says it all for me.

I am maybe being too harsh, due to some real hope and expectation here.

There is nothing really wrong with it at all. Pleasant 80s man in touch with his softer side voice, tick. Musicians thay can play their instruments to a proficcient level, tick. Poppy catchy tunes, you can clap your hands to, tick. Some nicely written bits of songs, tick. A little bit 'rocky', without ever disrupting or upsetting anything, synthy enough to be relevant. Throw in a sax too, flavour of the times.

There are comparisons to make with Del Amitri, Deacon Blue there, or even maybe Big Country here and there. And maybe I would have even liked this a bit more a couple of decades ago. But now, perhaps just this particular week, I find it one of so many interchangable bands of its time.

The strongest thing about it, is the bass, hands down. It is what carries it right through. I'll give it an extra point for that.

Red Red Sun is the best song for me, the only one that moved me a little. The rest, fone to listen to but nothing that caught me, and I really wanted it to. A 6 all in I guess then. I plan to return to it in a few weeks, just in case it is a timing issue here catching me in an odd mood, or if that first impression has just left too strong a taste I haven't been able to shift.
To me, when I first heard Kick, it sounded like nothing else. On that album, INXS blended rock with danceable/funky riffs. And they had somebody who didn't mumble in a microphone backed by a band who delivered a meaty live performance. They definitely had a lot going for them that I didn't hear anywhere else but I guess that's the thing about any type of music: if you don't like it, they sound the same as those other guys you don't like.

Reactions: OB1
A slightly rush review this week as I'm packing to go on a dig at Sutton Hoo. Which means, yes, I'm going on Time Team. How exciting...

My thoughts are that this is an average record by an average band with an above average front man. The songs, apart from the first two, are for the most part are quite forgettable. As Coatigan said, the bass is the stand out instrument here.
It's very middle of the road rock which isn't usually my thing. If this had been Kick then I'd have probably scored it a slightly above average 6-7 but it's not.

It gets a 5. An unoffensive record. But not one that rocks my world.

Back to the packing, now, where did I put my trowel?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.