The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

To me, when I first heard Kick, it sounded like nothing else. On that album, INXS blended rock with danceable/funky riffs. And they had somebody who didn't mumble in a microphone backed by a band who delivered a meaty live performance. They definitely had a lot going for them that I didn't hear anywhere else but I guess that's the thing about any type of music: if you don't like it, they sound the same as those other guys you don't like.

Yeah in fairness it isn't the first album to suffer from being listened a few decades too late. I gave Kick a listen to as well, juat fyi. I actually preferred the album you put forward. Kick had the bigger hits (a few of which I have heard before), but the rest sounded weaker. With one listen, it should be noted.

True, that if it is something you don't like, it can sound like those other guys you don't like. I don't think that is exactly the case here with me though. I think it is more they sound like but not as good as others I would like. But then, back to that whole missed boat timing layer.

There could well be a bit of a high expectation and a 'backlashier' review than had I gone in blank slate, I acknowledge that.

Like many I suspect I only own "Kick" and had never delved any deeper into their other work. So coming back to them and listening to something, that once again thanks to this thread is new, it was enjoyable.
However, like a couple of the last selections (barring RH) it was pleasurable but not that memorable.
You are always going to get bands putting their strongest stuff at the start and this is certainly the case here, with me thinking that it just meandered along after the first bits of tapping feed and nodding of head.
I did also think that once again it was of its time. Having also read a few reviews around it, where some folk had suggested that it stood up well today, I wasn't so sure. I did think it being quite 80's and that got me wondering whether "rock" dates aswell as some other genres.
Once again Mellencamp/TLJ was mentioned and in comparison I think that has aged so much better.
Afraid its a fairly middle of the road 6 from the Derry Jury

A slightly rush review this week as I'm packing to go on a dig at Sutton Hoo. Which means, yes, I'm going on Time Team. How exciting...

My thoughts are that this is an average record by an average band with an above average front man. The songs, apart from the first two, are for the most part are quite forgettable. As Coatigan said, the bass is the stand out instrument here.
It's very middle of the road rock which isn't usually my thing. If this had been Kick then I'd have probably scored it a slightly above average 6-7 but it's not.

It gets a 5. An unoffensive record. But not one that rocks my world.

Back to the packing, now, where did I put my trowel?
Thank god it not only me that finds this boring.
Not my cup of tea at all.
If I was.making a playlist there would not be one song from this put on it.
Always thought the singer was a poor man's Mick Jagger.4/10

I think someone mentioned that INXS are great live and it took a while for their studio work to catch up. This is pretty evident here in my opinion. It's straightforward and well recorded with some good bass work particularly. I can easily imagine this is much more fun to listen to live where you can get your bob on and enjoy how the band play together. Definitely feels like these guys were a working band before they became rock stars. Easy to imagine a room full of women hands raised belting out "This time will be the last time" whilst their boyfriends begrudgingly also enjoy the tunes.

The opening discordant few seconds of What You Need raised an eyebrow until it just became what I expected to hear. I can almost see the MTV logo in my mind as I listen.

I enjoyed the Dexys adjacent groove of One X One and the harder ending of Red Red Sun was fun. Most surprising thing for me was finding out this was their 5th album. It sounds like a debut album of a band trying to find some personality.

Listen Like Thieves is fine. I wouldnt turn the radio over if I was on the opposite side of the room and any of these tracks came on. Equally though I wouldn't walk over and turn the radio up. I will probably check out other stuff though as there is more to INXS then I previously thought.

6 out of 10

Sorry Rob. I really wanted my first score back to be positive. Unfortunately try as I might I can’t do it. I had Kick and played it occasionally but that wore off some time ago. On the plus, for sure they are competent musicians and a tight band. On the minus this album might have been Kick 2 but with inferior songs. I found it formulaic, repetitive and dull. MH was never my favourite vocalist and to me he got a long way on his pretty boy looks and Morrison lite persona. The more I played the album the more it grated and it’s a relief I stopped at three listens as it might have got my lowest ever score. As it is I’ll stretch to a 4.

I kind of liked 'kick' I liked alot of the songs, but found it a bit "all bones and no meat" (very tinny) and saw MH as a rock star in a pop band, the next album I heard (change of producer?) was a much heavier solid sound, but the songs far weaker. This is to me, is the 'kick' sound, with the (later) weaker songs, liking alot of Aussie bands, INXS I found a disappointment. I wish I had liked them enough to see them live, as I think, certainly the 'kick' songs, would have sounded better!
Give me the Oils every day of the week, and twice....on every day of the week ;)

I've listened to this one well more than the usual 3 times this past week, but I keep coming back to the first four songs ("What You Need", "LLT", "Kiss the Dirt", "Shine Like It Does"), "Biting Bullets", "This Time", and "Red Red Sun". The other tracks despite more listens just don't do enough for me.

What was most interesting on the album was felt by producer Chris Thomas to be missing a hit single, and the repetition of the musicals notes of song samples became "What You Need" and was hastily put together at the last minute for the opening track. I'm not sure that the album flow would have been the same without that leading things off, despite the title track more than holding its own.

I feel this album in places feels very 80's dated, especially on "Three Sisters", "Same Direction", and "One X One". Given all that, it's a 6/10 overall for me, with more stress on the highs than the other tracks I ended up skipping when able to after those listens.

Holiday tomorrow in the USA and I’ve only had two quick listens so I am sorry not to give this more time. The first three — all hits, all worthwhile — are a great opener but as I noted before “This Time” had completely slipped my mind and was like rediscovering and old friend long lost. I like it because it’s simple, it doesn’t try to do too much to get you to move, and it’s universal. I kind of wish more the album was like this — elsewhere the crooning and the sax and the stop-start dynamics feel a little like the band is trying too hard to art things up — or the producer is. There are a few banal tunes but the great/good/fine ones outnumber them. A 6 feels right but as I sometimes do when pleasantly surprised, I’ll add a notch and go 7. Fun to sink back into my past.

I was vaguely aware of maybe knowing one or two INXS singles but couldn't recall the names of them before listening to this album. None of the tracks on it were those that I thought I knew. After I'd given it the requisite three listens I did a bit of poking around and it seems all the songs I did know where from Kick and maybe it was that sort of familiarity that made the difference but they all seemed much better than anything on offer here.

I'm afraid to say that I found this album, well... there's nothing inherently wrong with it but there was nothing in it at all that grabbed my attention, it seemed flat and lifeless. I don't like to criticise anyone's choice of music and I've said before that anything that feels honestly made would get at least a six, irrespective of my view on it. But I don't think I can go that high here. I'm sure it's honestly made but it sounded perfunctory, by numbers, could have been the sort of music knocked out to accompany a film about a high school band making it big...

I've probably given a 5 before but I can't remember when. That's what this gets though. Sorry Rob.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.