The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

only the one listen today
and well, much needed after going to Chemical Brothers gig last night and feeling worse for wear today

calm, beautiful at times... but really lacks variety and a whole album of just ambience felt to draining

Great pick once again, my Oasis nomination seems so generic compared to what's followed

4/10
Brilliant stuff - where were they playing matey?

Think I saw them at Glasto from memory........

Another new artist for me on this thread.
So another good pick for this thread.
Unfortunately ambient or soundtrack music is not my scene and I found this piece boring despite listening 3 times.
Tried to get into it but sorry to say never again.
2/10
Only listened twice but pretty much sums up my feelings. I'd give it a 3 though.

I expected to like it more to be honest but it just didn't do it for me.

A couple more votes today brings the total number of voters to 18 and a nice round average of 5.00 for Planetary Unfolding by Michael Stearns. A bold choice by @GoatersLeftShin that not everybody liked but some certainly found replay value in it's space-inspired themes.

For week #12, @bennyboy is our nominator. All this prog/space-age stuff has made Benny have a change of heart from his original nomination, so this week we're headed right down South to the Greek capital for this double album.

What? You mean you don't want to listen to Demis Roussos?

A couple more votes today brings the total number of voters to 18 and a nice round average of 5.00 for Planetary Unfolding by Michael Stearns. A bold choice by @GoatersLeftShin that not everybody liked but some certainly found replay value in it's space-inspired themes.

For week #12, @bennyboy is our nominator. All this prog/space-age stuff has made Benny have a change of heart from his original nomination, so this week we're headed right down South to the Greek capital for this double album.

A sign of the devil perhaps.

Vangelis? Or are you sure it’s not Athens, Georgia?

Might as well post it now that the cat's out of the bag - well done to @Mancitydoogle for guessing correctly.

Here's what @bennyboy has to say about his nomination......

Southern Rock Opera_.jpg

Changed my mind.I was wanting to get back to a rock record after all the latest picks.

Southern Rock Opera by The Drive By Truckers.
Released 2001.
A brilliant double lp of songs growing up in the South. two-CD fictionalization of the Lynyrd Skynyrd story.

A young man grows up in Alabama during the 1970s and struggles with its social and political realities and questions what it means to be from the South.
Great story telling in all the tracks and interesting to hear different opinions about the race issues in the South.
I will just let you's listen to the story telling and see what you's think.
Great sounding album but if you get a chance to see them live,take it.Brilliant live band..

Patterson Hood.... Vocals and Guitar.
Mike Cooley......... Vocals and Guitar
Rob Malone...........Vocals and Guitar.
Earl Hicks ......Base.
Brad Morgan....Drums

Disc one: Act one: Betamax Guillotine[edit]​

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Days of Graduation"Hood2:36
2."Ronnie and Neil"Hood4:52
3."72 (This Highway's Mean)"Cooley5:26
4."Dead, Drunk, and Naked"Hood4:51
5."Guitar Man Upstairs"Cooley3:17
6."Birmingham"Hood5:03
7."The Southern Thing"Hood5:08
8."The Three Great Alabama Icons"Hood6:51
9."Wallace"Hood3:27
10."Zip City"Cooley5:16
11."Moved"Malone4:17

Disc two: Act two[edit]​

No.TitleWriter(s)Length
1."Let There Be Rock"Hood4:19
2."Road Cases"Hood2:42
3."Women Without Whiskey"Cooley4:19
4."Plastic Flowers on the Highway"Hood5:04
5."Cassie's Brother"Malone4:58
6."Life in the Factory"Hood5:28
7."Shut Up and Get on the Plane"Cooley3:38
8."Greenville to Baton Rouge"Hood4:11
9."Angels and Fuselage"Hood8:00

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.