The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

The Prefab album is pretty music, an inoffensive listen, well done but not a great set of songs for me.

Not a band I have ever listened to beyond singles on radio etc so nice to have a listen.

6/10
So you thought the song writing poor? Or the execution? Or the production?

would be good to get some more feedback mate.

I've just realised that a lot of my reviews have been very negative. I'm not sure why, mood? listening position? Grumpy old twat? A mixture of all three? Probably.

So with that in mind I've actually sat down and headphoned the crap out of this album rather than having it on somewhere in the house. Dave Gray for instance was on via my dining room Sonos whilst I sat fixing an old laptop. Fixing might have been the wrong choice of word because Mr Hammer made an appearance. Mr Gray never stood a chance.

So...Jordan: The Comeback.

Let's start by saying that I like early ish Sprout. Steve McQueen is a great album. I love what Thomas Dolby did with it. Very good production. That era Sprout I like. Quirky songs, nicely produced, lovely singing voices.

The love for the singing carries over to this album as well. It's very, very listenable. The trouble is it's also extremely over produced. It reminds me of the similar year Tears For Fears album, The Seeds of Love, in that respect. Kind of spoils it for me.

And now look what you made me do, I'm now listening to Sowing the Seeds...

Back to Jordan...

It's not really doing it for me. Yes the production is annoying but not horribly so there's just too much of it. Layers and layers of over production.

Apart from that I should like everything about this album which is why it's very hard to put a finger on why, once again, it just washed over me. There's a few fillers in here as well like One of the Broken, I know, I'm not getting the journey. The Wedding March is annoying and I know it's their take on lounge music but still...

I like Atlantis and Wild Horse. The rest are all a bit...wishy washy...well written, beautifully sung wishy washy music. Nothing surprised me. Nothing stopped me in my tracks. Nothing made me go back to the beginning again. Which is a shame.

Did I mention the production?

Scoring? It can have a 6. I can appreciate it but it doesn't float my boat. Which is a shame as I was looking forward to this one.

So you thought the song writing poor? Or the execution? Or the production?

would be good to get some more feedback mate.

It's all very professional. I didn't study the lyrics hard, beyond your review, but sound wise, the songs didn't grab me or feel very memorable. I noticed some varierty but they don't have a sound that appeals to me. Funnily enough, they reminde me a bit of Deacon Blue, whose best of I like but hasn't made me inclined to dig further.

I only listened once, while working, but did listen. I was not enticed though to put it on again; whereas (e.g.) I played Fountains of Wayne again straight away and bought a copy and played that and will probably put that in my selection for the trip up to Fulham game.

I've just realised that a lot of my reviews have been very negative. I'm not sure why, mood? listening position? Grumpy old twat? A mixture of all three? Probably.

So with that in mind I've actually sat down and headphoned the crap out of this album rather than having it on somewhere in the house. Dave Gray for instance was on via my dining room Sonos whilst I sat fixing an old laptop. Fixing might have been the wrong choice of word because Mr Hammer made an appearance. Mr Gray never stood a chance.

So...Jordan: The Comeback.

Let's start by saying that I like early ish Sprout. Steve McQueen is a great album. I love what Thomas Dolby did with it. Very good production. That era Sprout I like. Quirky songs, nicely produced, lovely singing voices.

The love for the singing carries over to this album as well. It's very, very listenable. The trouble is it's also extremely over produced. It reminds me of the similar year Tears For Fears album, The Seeds of Love, in that respect. Kind of spoils it for me.

And now look what you made me do, I'm now listening to Sowing the Seeds...

Back to Jordan...

It's not really doing it for me. Yes the production is annoying but not horribly so there's just too much of it. Layers and layers of over production.

Apart from that I should like everything about this album which is why it's very hard to put a finger on why, once again, it just washed over me. There's a few fillers in here as well like One of the Broken, I know, I'm not getting the journey. The Wedding March is annoying and I know it's their take on lounge music but still...

I like Atlantis and Wild Horse. The rest are all a bit...wishy washy...well written, beautifully sung wishy washy music. Nothing surprised me. Nothing stopped me in my tracks. Nothing made me go back to the beginning again. Which is a shame.

Did I mention the production?

Scoring? It can have a 6. I can appreciate it but it doesn't float my boat. Which is a shame as I was looking forward to this one.

Ha, ha. If you hate overproduction, you will hate next week's offering. Oh you'll hate it anyway.

Last edited:
Jordan: The Comeback – Prefab Sprout

Like many albums, the album is top-loaded with the best songs: “Looking for Atlantis”, “We Let The Stars Go” and “Carnival 2000” are catchy songs where the production doesn’t overwhelm the songs. On the latter two, if you listen closely, you can actually hear the edge of the plectrum on a string.

But the further you delve into the album, the mushy sound of synths and the horrible breathy vocals (what the hell is going on in “Wild Horses”?) negate any positives that might show themselves.

On the evidence of this album, Paddy McAloon has a good voice and he has a lot to say lyrically, but he should have told Thomas Dolby to do one and got a decent producer in. I know that Dolby is highly regarded as a producer, but I can’t hear why this might be the case. Maybe it’s just not my kind of music.

For some nice catchy songs that are well sung near the start of the album I’ll give it a 6, but the album is too long and, as already noted by one poster, overproduced.

Well I now know why I haven’t played it in years.
As already said it’s over produced.
Some decent tunes but nothing to make you stop what you are doing and listen seriously.
All a bit meh for me so while it’s good of it’s type it’s not for me and I’ll give it 6.

Jordan: The Comeback – Prefab Sprout

Like many albums, the album is top-loaded with the best songs: “Looking for Atlantis”, “We Let The Stars Go” and “Carnival 2000” are catchy songs where the production doesn’t overwhelm the songs. On the latter two, if you listen closely, you can actually hear the edge of the plectrum on a string.

But the further you delve into the album, the mushy sound of synths and the horrible breathy vocals (what the hell is going on in “Wild Horses”?) negate any positives that might show themselves.

On the evidence of this album, Paddy McAloon has a good voice and he has a lot to say lyrically, but he should have told Thomas Dolby to do one and got a decent producer in. I know that Dolby is highly regarded as a producer, but I can’t hear why this might be the case. Maybe it’s just not my kind of music.

For some nice catchy songs that are well sung near the start of the album I’ll give it a 6, but the album is too long and, as already noted by one poster, overproduced.

I'm just listening to the Yawpers album - heavy metal Steve Earle ;-)

I'm just listening to the Yawpers album - heavy metal Steve Earle ;-)
Yes - I also thought that “Johnny Clash” might be a good, quick one-liner to describe their sound. Pretty amazing considering it’s two guys with acoustics and a drummer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.