The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

Hahaha ...Well not so much credit more influence, I think they were influenced by The Beatles as were many bands.
I think them walking over the street like Abbey Road is a massive clue.
The song has its own Melody and isn't a rip off of anything I've heard.

I actually really like it and I've never heard this band before.

I will probably continue to play it now and then, thats a huge compliment from a grumpy turgid snob like me ;)
LOL

Ok. Third listen over now and I’ll definitely make this my last word on this album. Most of my feelings on it have been covered comprehensively by others in here anyway.
Firstly I’ll say that if I’m going to critique someone else’s taste when they lay themselves bare so to speak in here, then it’s only fair that I try to be as open about myself and my reasoning, in an anonymous online forum.

So….. it seems I’ve become an old fart, at least partly, if not all the way there.I find myself saying things like ‘what is he singing about’ and ‘that’s just screeching’, like my mam and dad used to say about the music I played, way back when.
In reality though, I think although personal to him, Foggy’s review of this album is spot on. Everything he says about it is true and the reasoning works for him but might not for others.
This album is a grower and it takes time and a little effort to appreciate it. That is something that perhaps at my stage of life I’m not as inclined to do.

This is not a quiet record and for third listen I pumped up the volume when I had the place to myself. This made all the difference, along with another tinkering on the graphic equaliser to try and improve the sound quality.

I Will Dare - is a great tune. Thought so from first listen, but it’s infectious. It creeps into your head and you are hearing it all day. I may well add that to a playlist.

The next three are a bit of a punk mess, but I found bits and pieces sticking with me this time around. I stand by my first impressions though, and others have mentioned the influences too, but to me it takes me back to late seventies and SLF in particular, who did it better. Perhaps I think so, because their subject matter was closer to home for me and meant more.

Androgynous- has grown on me too. Echoes of Lou Reed.

Black Diamond - don’t like it. Doesn’t belong here.

Next two have grown on me too. And Gary’s got a Boner is rock n roll and a nod to FZ as far as I’m concerned, but I’ve kind of outgrown the shock value of the teenage humour.
Sixteen Blue - A lovely song with proper instrumentals that I can see becoming a keeper too.

Answering Machine - Not bad. Grown on me from first listen.

All in all I’m glad I gave this album the time and thanks to those that posted lyrics for some of the tunes. I do however think that with a little clearer production there would be a terrific album in there. That’s a matter of taste.

If I must score it I would give it what I regard as a very respectable 6/10 although I fear that will disappoint Foggy.

Ok. Third listen over now and I’ll definitely make this my last word on this album. Most of my feelings on it have been covered comprehensively by others in here anyway.
Firstly I’ll say that if I’m going to critique someone else’s taste when they lay themselves bare so to speak in here, then it’s only fair that I try to be as open about myself and my reasoning, in an anonymous online forum.

So….. it seems I’ve become an old fart, at least partly, if not all the way there.I find myself saying things like ‘what is he singing about’ and ‘that’s just screeching’, like my mam and dad used to say about the music I played, way back when.
In reality though, I think although personal to him, Foggy’s review of this album is spot on. Everything he says about it is true and the reasoning works for him but might not for others.
This album is a grower and it takes time and a little effort to appreciate it. That is something that perhaps at my stage of life I’m not as inclined to do.

This is not a quiet record and for third listen I pumped up the volume when I had the place to myself. This made all the difference, along with another tinkering on the graphic equaliser to try and improve the sound quality.

I Will Dare - is a great tune. Thought so from first listen, but it’s infectious. It creeps into your head and you are hearing it all day. I may well add that to a playlist.

The next three are a bit of a punk mess, but I found bits and pieces sticking with me this time around. I stand by my first impressions though, and others have mentioned the influences too, but to me it takes me back to late seventies and SLF in particular, who did it better. Perhaps I think so, because their subject matter was closer to home for me and meant more.

Androgynous- has grown on me too. Echoes of Lou Reed.

Black Diamond - don’t like it. Doesn’t belong here.

Next two have grown on me too. And Gary’s got a Boner is rock n roll and a nod to FZ as far as I’m concerned, but I’ve kind of outgrown the shock value of the teenage humour.
Sixteen Blue - A lovely song with proper instrumentals that I can see becoming a keeper too.

Answering Machine - Not bad. Grown on me from first listen.

All in all I’m glad I gave this album the time and thanks to those that posted lyrics for some of the tunes. I do however think that with a little clearer production there would be a terrific album in there. That’s a matter of taste.

If I must score it I would give it what I regard as a very respectable 6/10 although I fear that will disappoint Foggy.
On the contrary, it absolutely does not disappoint me in the least! I think this is a very fair and well-written review. Punk/thrash/noise, less-than-crystalline production, unprojected mushy singing, the occasional dissonant chord — all of these are reasons for someone’s ears to go “meh” (or worse). And stylistically, we all have genres we like and don’t like. What have you done? You’ve given the record several good listens, thought about it, and written what you honestly felt. That’s what criticism (not the pejorative term — the job of criticism) is all about. Have you learned something new? Have we? Of course. Under no scenario is that bad, even if you dead-ass hated it and said so. That’s your view. That’s life. That’s why we’re here!

Last edited:
At some point, I'm going to have to review a Kiss album; just to sort the men out from the girly wusses.
Despite my early love of all things rock, "Crazy, Crazy Nights" aside, I don't think I've heard another Kiss song, never mind a full album.

Despite my early love of all things rock, "Crazy, Crazy Nights" aside, I don't think I've heard another Kiss song, never mind a full album.

They are probably best appreciated if you come to them in your teens but once you enroll in the Kiss Army, you never leave.

Have a listen to Destroyer: it's not much longer than Let It Be.

They are probably best appreciated if you come to them in your teens but once you enroll in the Kiss Army, you never leave.

Have a listen to Destroyer: it's not much longer than Let It Be.
Ill stick it on the maybe list. I think your comment about “teens” makes sense because artists who paint their face and stick their tongues out don’t really do it for me. Just stick to your jeans and t-shirt and concentrate on the music has always been my mantra.

Ill stick it on the maybe list. I think your comment about “teens” makes sense because artists who paint their face and stick their tongues out don’t really do it for me. Just stick to your jeans and t-shirt and concentrate on the music has always been my mantra.
I'm not a kiss fan (or hater) and I must admit the face paint didn't do it for me either, it put me off if I'm honest.
But thinking about it now, older and wiser as I am, does it really matter? After all, bowie made himself look a a right state at times, but it was universally lapped up.
Maybe kiss got a bad rap because of the make up nonsense, and arguably it was deserved, but from what I've heard of them, they're a fine band with some great tunes, they don't sound like the band they look like.
Interesting though

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.