The Album Review Club - Week #126 - (page 1531) - All Mod Cons - The Jam

I'm not a kiss fan (or hater) and I must admit the face paint didn't do it for me either, it put me off if I'm honest.
But thinking about it now, older and wiser as I am, does it really matter? After all, bowie made himself look a a right state at times, but it was universally lapped up.
Maybe kiss got a bad rap because of the make up nonsense, and arguably it was deserved, but from what I've heard of them, they're a fine band with some great tunes, they don't sound like the band they look like.
Interesting though
Turned me off. But was never into that sound anyway or the big hair 80’s white boy stuff including Van Halen as good a guitarist as he was. Just me. Did nothing for me.

Turned me off. But was never into that sound anyway or the big hair 80’s white boy stuff including Van Halen as good a guitarist as he was. Just me. Did nothing for me.
I loved van Halen's 'on through the night' but that was way back, pretty much the start of poodle hair spandex rock. It quickly became a parody of itself and I moved on to other genres, exploring and absorbing all I could.
Kiss got swept away really, for all I know they could be brilliant, but yeah you're right, the make up did them no favours imo

Ive listened to the album 3 times now and whilst I really like some tracks others didnt appeal. I wasnt really into punk in the late 70's (how could I replace being a prog fanatic with simple punk bands :) Its an age thing I guess.
However this is more post punk obviously.
I really like the opening song, with its influences, I guess thats my favourite. Except for Favorite Thing I prefer the slower tracks. I really like the very crisp drumming high in every mix.Evevery band needs a great rhythm section. Production on this album is superb, it sounds like it was made last week to me.
Thanks for nominating it Foggy, Id never actually heard of this band, but I will listen to this album in the future. I might skip the heavier punk rock songs like Were Coming Out though :)

Heres my scores, I dont know the average but Id like to give it a solid 7.

I Will Dare - 8/10
Favorite Thing - 7/10
We're Comin' Out - 3/10
Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out -5/10
Androgynous - 7/10
Black Diamond - 6/10
Unsatisfied - 8/10
Seen Your Video - 6/10
Gary's Got A Boner - 4/10
Sixteen Blue - 7/10
Answering Machine - 5/10

Ive listened to the album 3 times now and whilst I really like some tracks others didnt appeal. I wasnt really into punk in the late 70's (how could I replace being a prog fanatic with simple punk bands :) Its an age thing I guess.
I really like the opening song, with its influences, I guess thats my favourite. Except for Favorite Thing I prefer the slower tracks. I really like the very crisp drumming high in every mix.Evevery band needs a great rhythm section. Production on this album is superb, it sounds like it was made last week to me.
Thanks for nominating it Foggy, Id never actually heard of this band, but I will listen to this album in the future. I might skip the heavier punk rock songs like Were Coming Out though :)

I Will Dare - 8/10
Favorite Thing - 7/10
We're Comin' Out - 3/10
Androgynous - 7/10
Black Diamond - 6/10
Unsatisfied - 8/10
Seen Your Video - 6/10
Sixteen Blue - 7/10
Answering Machine - 5/10
Great to hear a different perspective on it, and a nice touch giving each track a score, takes a bit of effort that, Bravo sir.
Give it another 3 listens, trust me....

I Will Dare - 8/10
Favorite Thing - 7/10
We're Comin' Out - 3/10
Androgynous - 7/10
Black Diamond - 6/10
Unsatisfied - 8/10
Seen Your Video - 6/10
Sixteen Blue - 7/10
Answering Machine - 5/10
Thanks Bill and thanks for listening. I do think the fact that you and a few others say “it could have been made last week” is testament to its timelessness musically and also to the universality of its themes, which is why I picked it.

I hope you are in the mix for a review and have a great prog choice for us!

As an album I really like, I'm going to comment on other people's comments and hopefully stir further discussion...
It is of it's time, and the production reflects that perfectly. I.e. plug in guys, hope you're not too pissed, we gotta make a record.
It definitely couldn't have been made yesterday or in fact in the last 30 odd years. It sounds like 84 post punk. Because it is 84 post punk. The fact that this record never saw a mixing desk backs that up.
This to me is real deal garage band as it should be. Borrowed instruments, fights, beer, disapproval, chaotic gigs, shit songs, great songs, but above all, a great band, a great legacy even, one we can all look back on and enjoy for what is was back then, a great big fuck off fuck you attempt at having a voice.
Sounds like it was made yesterday? I don't think so.

Thanks Bill and thanks for listening. I do think the fact that you and a few others say “it could have been made last week” is testament to its timelessness musically and also to the universality of its themes, which is why I picked it.

I hope you are in the mix for a review and have a great prog choice for us!
Yes I was quite amazed how fresh it sounds for an album made in 1984. This I think says a lot about production. The drums sound really crisp, lots of emphasis on the snare sound, it really cuts through, and the Bass guitar has that trebly growl that cuts through also. You can produce that on a Fender P or J Bass easily, also playing the bass with a plectrum as opposed to the usual way of plucking the Bass strings with fingers.
I might give Tim a try, its got good reviews. Good band, pity they imploded.

Yes I was quite amazed how fresh it sounds for an album made in 1984. This I think says a lot about production. The drums sound really crisp, lots of emphasis on the snare sound, it really cuts through, and the Bass guitar has that trebly growl that cuts through also. You can produce that on a Fender P or J Bass easily, also playing the bass with a plectrum as opposed to the usual way of plucking the Bass strings with fingers.
I might give Tim a try, its got good reviews. Good band, pity they imploded.
Or further enhances their legacy................

As an album I really like, I'm going to comment on other people's comments and hopefully stir further discussion...
It is of it's time, and the production reflects that perfectly. I.e. plug in guys, hope you're not too pissed, we gotta make a record.
It definitely couldn't have been made yesterday or in fact in the last 30 odd years. It sounds like 84 post punk. Because it is 84 post punk. The fact that this record never saw a mixing desk backs that up.
This to me is real deal garage band as it should be. Borrowed instruments, fights, beer, disapproval, chaotic gigs, shit songs, great songs, but above all, a great band, a great legacy even, one we can all look back on and enjoy for what is was back then, a great big fuck off fuck you attempt at having a voice.
Sounds like it was made yesterday? I don't think so.
See what you're saying, the right personalities, skillset and probably a new or small end recording studio with a good ear and a soft touch approach, I can definitely see a similar output.

Teenagers have just been penned up for the best part of 18 months (give or take) and missed out on some of their best years, some of their households will have been turned upside down (death / unemployment etc /pretty much anything could have been thrown their way), zero political parties fighting / planning for their futures (granted I am talking UK specific here and apologies making a sweeping statement), a huge debt been amassed and attached to their lifetime, house prices that they may never be able to afford etc etc etc.

Get writing young punk / garage heads...............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.