The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

It’s not and that is one reason Rolling Stone placed Rocks much higher in their 500 greatest albums list in 2003.
Right, and that mirrors what many critics have said, but I haven’t offered my opinion yet. They are two very different records.

I think the Rock vs Toys argument parallels the Some Girls vs Beggars Banquet et al argument in some ways.

I also think critics were late to Toys at the time so “caught up” with Rocks. Same thing happened to Pixies.

Reactions: OB1
Right, and that mirrors what many critics have said, but I haven’t offered my opinion yet. They are two very different records.

I think the Rock vs Toys argument parallels the Some Girls vs Beggars Banquet et al argument in some ways.

I also think critics were late to Toys at the time so “caught up” with Rocks. Same thing happened to Pixies.

It is funny I have not listened to Toys at all. But I feel like I know exactly what you mean.

I wasn’t assuming what your opinion would be.

They are different records. I don’t think judgements in 2003 have anything to do with catching up though. In fact, I think the critical catching up may have applied more to Rocks than Toys.

Interesting to see which way round you’d have Rocks vs Some Girls and Banquet. Rocks has some parallels with Girls in the consistency department.

Last edited:
Crumbs, I owe a few reviews, work has been a more than full time occupation for around a month but this being the first weekend in several I've not felt the need to log on to my work computer there is finally a bit of breathing space. Mind you when I saw that Aerosmith were up this week I considered prolonging the work excuse for another week but decided that wouldn't be right and I really should get Back in the Saddle of which Apple Music tells me few album opening songs are more formidable... well more of that later I'm sure.

I scored the Doves a 7 but to be honest that was a slightly emotional score and based on the potential for it to seep into my consciousness with repeated playings. Which it finally has and could well have been an 8 in normal circumstances.

There was the usual discussion about all indie bands sounding the same, I have some sympathy for that up to a point. My wife likes to have Radio X on in the car and it's not unusual for a song to be playing and we're guessing which indie band it is, running through our usual suspects only to find at the end it's someone completely different. I don't think the Doves fit into that generic sound at all and there are plenty of indie bands who don't but then one man's meat...

Ironically Rob was up next with what could have been another generic American singer songwriter of which he is so enamoured and of which we've had plenty on this thread. All the same? Depends who is listening. I honestly didn't have time to listen much to Bruce Hornsby but when he wasn't boogie woogieing it up on the piano I didn't find much to differentiate him from a lot of others of that ilk. I'm intrigued by him though as he appears to be having some sort of career renaissance with his latest album, under the name BrhyM getting a good review in this month's Uncut and the heading "NYC chamber ensemble yMusic complete Bruce Hornsby's transformation into avant-pop savant".

A few months ago, or possibly longer, another Uncut review of a Hornsby album had me giving him a listen but it didn't stick. Looks like that's just The Way It Is, a mightily fine song in itself though which will remain on my playlist of one hit wonders to be occasionally brought up on shuffle when I'm lacking something specific to listen to.

High hopes for the Midnight but again too few listens to allow it to get any sort of foothold. This and the Bruce Hornsby weren't helped by their length when time was at a premium.

The Rolling Stones came along just as the mist started clearing a touch work wise and were helped by the familiarity of more of the songs than I expected and a more manageable length. Ultimately though it didn't do much to shift my impression of them as being somewhat ordinary. Miss You and Beast of Burden were decent enough but I'm in the Jagger is a pretty poor vocalist camp, listening to Keith sing though confirmed why they hadn't bombed Mick out of the band early doors. The country pastiche was Ok first time but if I'm going to have one country pastiche in my playlist it's going to be Labelled with Love every time.

I would have scored the Stones a 6 (same for the Midnight and Hornsby too probably, in fact I might actually have done that, I can't remember). A comment about Shattered, which a couple of reviewers lauded. First time I listened to that it had filler written all over it and then I realised it was the albums closer. Repeated listens of that didn't change my view that it is a pretty rank song, sorry Stones fans. Not that they need my approval, there is obviously something very enduring about them.

And so to Aerosmith and the conversation about all bands and artists from a certain genre sounding alike. I may be getting my genres mixed up but I can listen to the Blue Oyster Cult and UFO many years ago and think they had a point of difference but first impressions, and they are only first impressions, of this was, well it sounds like what I expect it to sound like.

I had it on in the car and there was just time for Apple to randomly throw one song at me before my journey ended. Sympathy for the Devil. In answer to @BlueHammer85 question, it's still no...

Last edited:
I'm writing a concept album based on a week in the life of BlueMoon. Some tracks are coming along better than others!

Given your love of and appreciation for concept albums, I went back to Puzzle, which is ultimately a concept album with an underlying theme, to see what you had to say about it.

Turns out, nothing at all. Oh well.

Which makes my comment a bit pointless, but I spent the time looking, so might as well.

Last edited:
Given your love of and appreciation for concept albums, I went back to Puzzle, which is ultimately a concept album with an underlying theme, to see what you had to say about it.

Turns out, nothing at all. Oh well.

Which makes my comment a bit pointless, but I spent the time looking, so might as well.

Yeah, got a feeling that I'd joined the thread by that point but think that was one of the picks that coincided with a bereavement so was MIA for a bit but given the albums theme it would prob have been a bit too close to home anyway.

You have nailed it there.

“Toys” does have a more polished sound and 2 or 3 tracks that are outstanding in a way that is not mirrored on “Rocks”.

I should probably give “Toys” a spin before saying too much as I’ve not listened to the whole thing for ages; that is not the case for its stand out songs. “Sweet Emotion” is a playlist staple for example.

I prefer “Rocks” as an album. I think the song quality is more consistent but it is the sound that makes such a difference. The band wrote and then recorded most of the album, using a mobile, at their rehearsal facility The Wherehouse. It gave the music and performances their cohesiveness, and they managed to pull off the trick sounding live and raw whilst being produced in a sophisticated way.
That mid 70's right, left, uppercut combination of Toys, Rocks and Draw the Line are all knockouts IMO. Find it hard to choose between them to be honest although Rocks edges it in terms of engineering. As soon as the sun's out, they're all on in the car.

Rocks was my introduction to them too. I think it was a glowing Geoff Barton review in Sounds that caught my attention. As such, it will always have a special place for me. On hearing it they became instantly one of my favourite bands overnight. As you say, they were very much an underground band here at that time. I would love to have seen them in their prime. Nearest I got was having tickets some years later for them playing the Apollo (with a young band called Guns n Roses in support) but the whole tour got cancelled.

Your description of it very much mirrors my own thoughts on the songs, playing and production. It is their finest album for me. Easily a 9/10.

I loved all they did, up to and including Perry and Whitford-less Rock In A Hard Place. Everything post clean up and bland out has zero attraction for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.