The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Genesis was a rock band who turned into a pop band. I’m one of those weirdos who likes them a bit better as a pop band though I do still like them as a rock band too, but I find their “transitional” phase by far the most interesting — “Duke” is my favo(u)rite of their records in total, and the only one I play cover-to-cover.
Trick of the Tail. Excellent.
For me the gradual transition from Gabriel to Collins after that lost my interest.

For me the gradual transition from Gabriel to Collins after that lost my interest.
For me Hackett leaving had the most profound impact. A trick of the tail and wind and wuthering were still interesting albums despite Gabriel not being involved. The transition started with Duke (although there is still some quality on that album) and accelerated from there.

For me Hackett leaving had the most profound impact. A trick of the tail and wind and wuthering were still interesting albums despite Gabriel not being involved. The transition started with Duke (although there is still some quality on that album) and accelerated from there.
I’d go with that.
Hackett’s sound was essential.

I like some songs on that record (Squonk esp) but not all. I really like PG’s solo stuff — his first four records particularly — on So it was cool to see him suddenly become “popular” with more mainstream audiences (although that really started with 4 aka Security aka the one with Shock The Monkey over here) and I like that record as well, plus some of Us. His 3rd (Melting Face) is my favo(u)rite.

I like some songs on that record (Squonk esp) but not all. I really like PG’s solo stuff — his first four records particularly — on So it was cool to see him suddenly become “popular” with more mainstream audiences (although that really started with 4 aka Security aka the one with Shock The Monkey over here) and I like that record as well, plus some of Us. His 3rd (Melting Face) is my favo(u)rite.
I had ‘So’ and saw him perform it here in Dublin. Absolutely superb.

DEFINITELY,MAYBE

I was never a fan of the Brit Pop scene though I always thought Blur were a lot more original than Oasis.
I can see the big appeal for Oasis simple lyrics and play by numbers sounds, very derivative of 1970s pop bands The Beatles, Slade , TRex to name but a few.Liam even adopted Johnny Rotten’s snarling vocals, Noel was always the more talented in my mind and I actually preferred the songs he sang although the odd single I’ve heard of Liam’s he’s obviously matured and there’s a lot less vocal posturing.i’ve now listened to WTSMG and of the two , I prefer it to this one ,probably because I’m more familiar with it as nearly every song is played on the radio plus it seems a bit more varied.

This album is okay in the main but it sounds very samey, it hasn’t converted me to become a fan but as I’ve mentioned earlier I wouldn’t turn off the radio if one of these songs came on.
I don’t care whether they’re classed as a Rock or Pop band, they’re not really my cup of tea.

5.5 /10 plus a point for being blues so 6.5

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.