The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

I thought the definition of pop these days was that you got a roster of kids, kept them locked in a basement when they're not performing and get them to video tearful social media apologies if they did anything to suggest they actually had a life of their own and then you binned them off anyway for a younger incarnation when the analytics suggested their personal popularity was waning? Seems a long way from and a lot less innocent than Boy George getting access to the dressing up box. I'm not the biggest of rockers but even with the sex and drugs it all seems a lot more wholesome than pop these days.

I thought the definition of pop these days was that you got a roster of kids, kept them locked in a basement when they're not performing and get them to video tearful social media apologies if they did anything to suggest they actually had a life of their own and then you binned them off anyway for a younger incarnation when the analytics suggested their personal popularity was waning? Seems a long way from and a lot less innocent than Boy George getting access to the dressing up box. I'm not the biggest of rockers but even with the sex and drugs it all seems a lot more wholesome than pop these days.
1719933964214.jpeg

Ooooh!Kaaaay!
Wasn’t really sure where this read was taking me.

Ooooh!Kaaaay!
Wasn’t really sure where this read was taking me.

That's the business model for some of the biggest selling acts on the planet at the moment.

(Ok I exaggerated about the basement bit.)

Edit: I forgot you'd been away for a while so this wouldn't make sense. While you were gone we reviewed albums hy BTS, BlackPink and TXT . Hopefully you'll be able to catch up on them, you'll thank me.

:-)

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

I've enjoyed listening to this over the past week for a few reasons. One, because of my 3 favourite Oasis albums, it's the one I've least listened to over time.

The one that got me into the band was their second, WTS(MG), and it may still rank highest with me. It wasn't until I heard The Masterplan, however, that I really took this band to be one of my favourites, but a lot of that is due to Noel on vocals.

I won't repeat a lot of what others have said thus far, but I found a lot of similar feelings with Rob in that the album for me didn't get going until track three with "Live Forever". I honestly still feel like I could do without the first two songs entirely - they're just nowhere near my top ones from this band. The string of good songs after LF really hit the sweet spot of the album for me, with "Columbia", "Supersonic", and "Bring It On Down" being the best string of three on the album, with the final one the best of them collectively. The guitars really stood out to me on that last one, really hitting the feeling that BH was talking about.

For full disclosure, "Cigarettes & Alcohol" has never been a song I've particularly liked, but I wasn't a big fan of "Get It On" by T. Rex either. Oh well.

The album ends well with "Slide Away" probably being one of the top songs here, and "Married With Children" also being a decent closer for a change up tempo wise without the heavy guitars.

Unlike many of the Oasis fans, I'm fine if the band never gets back together. I know that may not be popular here or with their most ardent fans, but I very much like Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds as a band, and am fine with continuing to mostly ignore whatever Liam Gallagher is doing. Noel gets to shine on his own, and that is perfectly fine with me.

I still say on the whole, The Masterplan with Noel singing (on) most tracks and "Acquiesce" and "The Masterplan" being songs that took this band to a place I didn't think they could get to, I just don't think this album measures up to that and WTS(MG).

For the record, I don't care if they are considered pop, rock, Britpop, whatever... they're an important part of the history of music from Manchester, England, and for that, they'll always be influential, and what led me to other bands later on that I enjoy even more.

For me, this album is a 7/10 as a strong debut, not the best lyrically, but with 4 songs (LF, BIOD, SA, and MWC) being among the top ones that I still enjoy listening to today. Thanks to @BlueHammer85 for the nomination and the trip down memory lane. Wish I was here prior for The Masterplan too...

On the bus back yesterday, a few teens were chatting about their recent Liam gig in Glasgow. They were complaining how many songs off this album (missing the point it was a 30yr anniversary tour) he played and not enough of the hits. One said, he didn't even play wonderwall, and that's what everyone was there to see.

Then they proceeded to play Oasis hits on their phones for the whole bus.

Made me think, that's Oasis in a nutshell. Anything that is so basic that you can tolerate listening to on your shitty tinney phone speaker, where you only really need the one catchy line barely audible, has got to be simple pop. Anything with a bit of depth, you would switch off and revisit to listen to properly. Imo.

On the bus back yesterday, a few teens were chatting about their recent Liam gig in Glasgow. They were complaining how many songs off this album (missing the point it was a 30yr anniversary tour) he played and not enough of the hits. One said, he didn't even play wonderwall, and that's what everyone was there to see.

Then they proceeded to play Oasis hits on their phones for the whole bus.

Made me think, that's Oasis in a nutshell. Anything that is so basic that you can tolerate listening to on your shitty tinney phone speaker, where you only really need the one catchy line barely audible, has got to be simple pop. Anything with a bit of depth, you would switch off and revisit to listen to properly. Imo.
Or maybe, just maybe, the kids were enjoying the music and didn't give two shits about all the other nonsense raised by the old fuckers on this thread.

Apologies for my absence in recent weeks, looking at the past couple of choices I obviously didn’t miss much ;)
I wouldn’t class myself as the biggest Oasis fan but I do enjoy their music particularly the first couple of albums.
My kids grew up with Oasis as part of their musical upbringing and my lad in particular still listens on a regular basis. I think he would give a bigger score for this whereas I’m in the Fog camp preferring WTSMG.
That said I do like DM, whether it is pop or rock, britpop or hip hop I’m not particular bothered. Both albums got regualar air time travelling up for games so I guess there is some City sentiment in my score. Not the best lyrically, but some banging easy listening tunes. Solid 7/10 - WTSMG would have been an 8.

Or maybe, just maybe, the kids were enjoying the music and didn't give two shits about all the other nonsense raised by the old fuckers on this thread.

Someone should have told their faces ;).

Mate, it was the perfect chance to moan, let me have it ffs!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.