The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

Nice one mate. I made some good fajitas and we listened to Rory G for most of the evening.
Never heard of any of those bands but every day is a school day :-).
Will check out The Walls.
You can’t go wrong with Rory.
After years of rebelling against the edited versions of The 74 live tour, I have to admit the 40th anniversary remastered edition is brilliant.
I wouldn’t listen beyond the Initial recording in Cork or perhaps Limerick, which carry the original set list, but that alone is perfect.

You can’t go wrong with Rory.
After years of rebelling against the edited versions of The 74 live tour, I have to admit the 40th anniversary remastered edition is brilliant.
I wouldn’t listen beyond the Initial recording in Cork or perhaps Limerick, which carry the original set list, but that alone is perfect.
That’s exactly what we were listening to
:-)

The thing with this thread, or one of the things with it is that every time a new album is posted expectations are raised. No-one posts an album that they think is just OK. I tend to go and read Amazon reviews and lo, more high praise, four and five stars and this is the best band ever. The odd one star review piques interest until you realise it's someone reviewing Amazon's shoddy service or that the packaging was ripped or some such... Similar story with YouTube, minus the shoddy service bit. Play an artists track and no-one is on there saying it's so so, plenty on talking about the emotional heft of the lyrics etc.

Another thing with this thread is that all the posters, seem to be decent human beings and mainly absent from the politics threads and not the sort to hold diametrically opposing views and even if they did, well a love of music and a love of City (mainly but we all like West Ham, right?) are what units us.

There was a lot of high praise for this album and I sort of get it. But sort of don't as well. The opening notes augured very well, undertones of the Reaper or no but then it well, fell quite flat for me. It let like there were some stonking tunes in there itching to get out but that somehow they were constrained by a flat delivery, underproduction and a vocalist who couldn't do them justice. Comparisons always pop into my head and the comparison here is with James, a band I just don't really get despite their popularity with the same thoughts about a certain listlessness and a feeling of doing it by numbers...

That saying, as usual, it's not terrible but it's not got my feet tapping. In the background it would be OK but after a few listens I have to say it's not for me. But again, as usual, although it's not for me I'm not going to mark it low just because it doesn't float my boat. The intention behind it is fine, the instrumentation is interesting and at times very good but I can't give it more than 6. 6 I think is an alright score.

I was really looking forward to this reigniting my love affair with Irish Rock/Pop of 1990s,unfortunately it didn’t, I really like the first 2 tracks especially ‘Romeo’s on Fire’with its Mariachi horns and a few of the other tracks ,but sadly a lot of the album didn’t really grab me as I hoped it would.I’m not sure why as all the elements are in there that I like.

good choice none the less ,as it’s a band I’d never heard of before.

6/10

I was really looking forward to this reigniting my love affair with Irish Rock/Pop of 1990s,unfortunately it didn’t, I really like the first 2 tracks especially ‘Romeo’s on Fire’with its Mariachi horns and a few of the other tracks ,but sadly a lot of the album didn’t really grab me as I hoped it would.I’m not sure why as all the elements are in there that I like.

good choice none the less ,as it’s a band I’d never heard of before.

6/10
I gave it a 7, but I know where you're coming from. The first three tracks are excellent and you're thinking that this is setting a high standard. So it comes as a relative disappointment that many of the rest are good without being great. Just like you said, it has all the elements that I should love, but it just fell a little short in some respects even though I do like the album.

The Album Review Club – Round #2

Don’t worry, there’s still time to cast your vote for Paradise in the Picturehouse, but as it’s the weekend, I thought that I’d do a quick summary of Round #1 and prepare for Round #2 that starts this week.

But first, I want to say a big thank you to everybody who has taken part, and that goes for nominators and everybody who has contributed in some way. I couldn’t be happier with the way this thread is working – everybody has conducted themselves admirably and shown respect to each of the nominations. We don’t all like the same stuff, but nobody is frightened to say what they think and everybody has taken the positive and negative comments in the right spirit. It’s great when we can be enthusiastic about something we like, but it’s equally important that we feel free to point out what we don’t like and why it gets our goat.

As for the nominations themselves, well again, you should all be proud. I think we’ve had a fantastic selection and though naturally many of the early selections were skewed to our formative years, I don’t think anybody could argue that we’ve had a good cross-section of styles. Nobody was expecting Glenn Miller, Chuck Berry or Kylie Minogue to be nominated, but at the same time, we’ve had Americana, American alternative, Britpop, Prog Rock, Art Rock, rap-metal, folk, classical and ambient. I’d say that’s pretty good for a first round, and I can’t wait to see what you’ve got lined up for your second picks.

I’m not going to dwell too much on the scores, as some have pointed out, it’s more about the discussion and dissection than the leaderboard. However, I think it’s useful to keep track of what we’ve reviewed and how we’ve felt about it as a group. So other than saying well done to @OB1 for having the highest rated album so far, Led Zeppelin’s Physical Graffiti, I won’t dwell on the scores.

Round #2

The provisional schedule for Round #2 is below.

New nominators are welcome and will be added to the end of the list after everybody has had a go during this round.

The dates are provisional for the following reasons:-
  1. If the date doesn’t work for you, just let me know and we can rearrange the order as required.
  2. We’ve got to Round #2 early because it looks like a couple of members have taken some time away from the forums. If CruBlue1 and BimboBob reappear then it is only fair to slot them in as soon as possible because they have both contributed to the thread.
Note that due to my Easter holiday, the selection on 12th April will run for two weeks.

Also, I’ve swapped the order of the last six around a little as I felt that Journolud, Mancitydoogle and mancity2012_eamo might have suffered slightly due to it being quieter over Christmas, and if I’d left the order the same, they’d have pulled the Easter holiday shift too!

11th Jan - RobMCFC
18th Jan - @FogBlueInSanFran
25th Jan - @BlueHammer85
1st Feb - @Saddleworth2
8th Feb - @OB1
15th Feb - @KnaresboroughBlue
22nd Feb - @Onholiday(somemightsay)
1st Mar - @Marklr
8th Mar - @Bill Walker
15th Mar - @journolud
22nd Mar - @Mancitydoogle
29th Mar - @mancity2012_eamo
5th Apr - @denislawsbackheel
*** 12th Apr - @GoatersLeftShin
26th Apr - @bennyboy

I’d like to thank Rob for what has been an excellent thread.It’s apparent that all the contributors have a good and varied knowledge of music which not only comes
acRoss in the nominations but also the reviews.I like the way it has taken me out of my comfort zone and encouragEd me to listen to albums by artists I wouldn’t normally or in some cases have never heard of.
I look forward to round 2 in furthering my musical education.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.