The Album Review Club - Week #128 - (page 1587) - Pretty Vicious - The Struts

While I have a strenuous dislike of Jim Morrison which I’ve expounded on numerous times, it really was hard not to think about this record as post-punk Doors. Maybe Doors meet Mission of Burma. Or Iron Butterfly joining up with The Stranglers perhaps. Wait, I’ve got it -- Procul Harem smashes into The Feelies (where those Lou Reed undertones come from -- The Feelies sound a lot like sped up VU).

Regardless, this is a curious record but unique and sometimes winning in its way, even if the tempos are often quite a bit too slow for me. Generally speaking I thought the jagged guitar was too often overwhelmed by the keyboards from a production standpoint, but that’s a personal thing -- I did like the fact that pushing the keys front and center made this music sound like its own animal, and the hooks are driven via the Hammond rather than via the Fender, which is certainly far better than having no hooks at all.

I like the 60s organ that grounds “Pavement and The Boot” and “I’m A Living Sickness”, and the all-too-human drummer just slightly off his timing during the fills, which gives both songs almost an amateurish (in a good way) rather than a slick feel. On the other hand, “Meditation” is kind of one of those tunes that shows up at a tired, pedestrian hippie jamfest music festival, like the 14th band of the day in the late afternoon when you’re four joints in and just want to get away for a bit and take a nap. And the slow bits on “Painted Air” were pretty grating.

I think the strokes of minor genius here are “Addicted to the Day” and “I’m Higher Than I’m Down”, both of which have double meanings and a rollicking aspect I really enjoyed. “Optical Sound” was another pleasant one, and “Love Is A Wave” the nearest to a conventional "modern" pop song I heard, and my second favo(u)rite after "Higher" -- it’s almost (dare I say it) jumpy!

I didn’t think Blue Orchids found any hidden gems among the covers here, so putting an English spin on obscure American pop isn’t really that much of an accomplishment IMO. But let’s pretend they aren’t covers, but originals. Does this change much? Not to me, because I wouldn’t have known the difference and thought this was a well-executed (if too much the same song-to-song) retro piece of work filtered through a modern lens. There wasn’t anything here I would be fumbling with a play list to add (maybe “Higher”), but also nothing that was an auto-fast forward either. It’s consistently solid throughout, an interesting turn on a theme that I could listen to again without complaint. Not good enough for a 7 but better than average. Smack on a 6 then.

Last edited:
5/10 from me, sorry, just didn't do it for me. Could try justify that, hard to do so without worrying about sounding harsh for no real reason, so will just leave it at that. Maybe suffers from too many 'influences', if that can be seen as a positive criticism.

The Doors without the Magic

Unfortunately I’m in the ‘it’s ok’ camp - there is a good upbeat drive all the way through and could imagine hearing this live would be good

But it just feels like throwaway songs from the 60’s and I just couldn’t find anything that stood out

Good choice though - I’ve never heard of the Blue Orchids before

4/10

Just the 10 voters for The Magical Record of Blue Orchids, coming in at an average of 5.4.
Is this a summer lull or is it just a case of waning interest in the last few selections?
Either way, thanks to @journolud for the nomination, which completes a trilogy of "off-the-beaten-track" selections.

It's now time to invite @Bill Walker for some clues, or probably by the time he reads this, his nomination.

Hmmm. I've note done my homework here - @Bill Walker hasn't posted since 17th June, so I suspect he's going to be a no-show for this thread.

@bennyboy - are you in a position to nominate this week?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.