The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Ignoring the undignified vote grubbing on my part, I'm happy that this selection has nudged Billy back into a couple of people's minds and also maybe in the odd case introduced him as someone different to the common perception of him.

I've particularly enjoyed other people's enjoyment of his lyrics. We often talk about the likes of Ray Davies, L&M and he who shall not be named (the M word) as some of this country's great lyricists and I think Bill deserves his place in that group too. So to me that's been a good nomination irrespective of where he sits in our fun table; thanks for taking the time to listen folks.
I am really sorry I had no time to listen -- have liked some of his past work so need to catch up on this one.

Apropos of nothing whilst we wait for the next nomination, for my upcoming holiday I've just started building a playlist with a single track I like from every one of the the albums on this thread, including the albums before I joined. I'm putting them in album pick order but depending on how much of a mess it sounds I might 'curate' them into a different order.

We're driving to Italy so it'll give me plenty of scope to really piss the family off :-)

Apropos of nothing whilst we wait for the next nomination, for my upcoming holiday I've just started building a playlist with a single track I like from every one of the the albums on this thread, including the albums before I joined. I'm putting them in album pick order but depending on how much of a mess it sounds I might 'curate' them into a different order.

We're driving to Italy so it'll give me plenty of scope to really piss the family off :-)
Be interesting to see which track gets the “what’s this shit award” :)

NB - not judging the profanity level of your family

I think @BlueHammer85 started this some time ago actually, think he went with 2 songs. No idea what happened to it. But it is a good idea either way.

Can I (or we) choose the songs for you from the albums I (or we) nominated? 'Author's' favourite, rather than your favourite.

. As for the lyrics whilst I've mostly enjoyed his protest songs there are some clunky ones too and I've always thought his greatest strength is in his broader tales of life and love.
You’ve reminded me that when I was first getting my thoughts together about reviewing the album that I was going to comment on that. I do like small p political, kitchen sink dramas or whatever you might want to call it. Squeeze and Elvis Costello come to mind as having been very good at it and Bragg is up there with them lyrically on that line.

Be interesting to see which track gets the “what’s this shit award” :)

NB - not judging the profanity level of your family

Haha. It'll go something like this..elder son will like lots of it and discuss the stuff he likes and dislikes and demand chapter and verse on all sorts. Younger son will listen to some of it and then stick his headphones into the Switch when he's had enough. Mrs Spires will say.. "this shits all off that geeky music thread on BlueMoon that you spend half your life isn't it?"

Haha. It'll go something like this..elder son will like lots of it and discuss the stuff he likes and dislikes and demand chapter and verse on all sorts. Younger son will listen to some of it and then stick his headphones into the Switch when he's had enough. Mrs Spires will say.. "this shits all off that geeky music thread on BlueMoon that you spend half your life isn't it?"
I was going to say something flip and probably incorrect about how women know nothing about music but thought better of it. Interesting though that my partner, who was as indie as me when we met and as eclectic in her tastes has become quite narrow and conservative in her listening habits. It may be that she no longer feels the need to discover new music apart from very radio friendly stuff but to be fair she is open to some of the new stuff I play.

I’m often pleasantly surprised to hear the stuff my older son plays having evolved from a Kanye West heavy diet. Younger son a lost cause with his unaccountable fascination with country music. He has no interest in football either. Good job he’s a good lad otherwise.

The point I planned to make is that unless I’m very much mistaken we have no female contributors to this thread.

Actually I quite like that idea. Any one who wants to, feel free to do so.

Cardinals, As Dust Dances, Ayla, Father of mine, Die like a rich boy.

Don't know what order you are going with but I'm sure you can match them to their albums.

Saying that hopefully it doesn't stop you skim-revisiting any albums to pick a song.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.