The Album Review Club - Week #133 - (page 1682) - Guitar Town - Steve Earle

True and I don’t really find competition in musical tastes anyway.
Scoring is good for fun I suppose, but the real joy in here is the discussion.
The dedate that is generated is cordial for the most part compared to other threads on the forum. Considering how individual music taste is, the back and forth is always civilised and our personal humour or foibles become part of the thread as we become familiar.

Just like the political threads.
Cough, cough!

Agree on this.
After the recent England footie threads I was actually tempted to come off Bluemoon- thankfully the Music threads and particularly this one keeps me here and sane.

Agree on this.
After the recent England footie threads I was actually tempted to come off Bluemoon- thankfully the Music threads and particularly this one keeps me here and sane.
Since coming back myself.
I have set a few boundaries. I look in the politics thread occasionally but very much limit my own activity there.
It’s not the regulars who you know are barmy that get to me. There were a few who surprised me that I would otherwise respect the opinions of when it comes to City matters.
It was an influential part in my reasoning that I needed a break from here. I didn’t want to get started down a rabbit hole.

This place is a nice sanctuary however.

See if I think the same when my choice
/idea in the other music thread gets savaged next week. ;-)

Not sure you’ve missed anything tbh.
Ive listened to it multiple times now.
I’m erring towards the ‘I love it’ side of things, but here’s the thing with me anyway.

I definitely think I’ve overscored the three last albums because of where I feel I’m going with this.

I’m at a 7 but basically would listen to this well above Oasis or Inxs.

I think there's a small number of 'disciplined' posters who are pretty consistent with their scoring but the rest of us go with our mood at the time. It sometimes leaves me in the same situation you mentioned where I realise I've overscored recent picks and it's left me nowhere to go. The only scores I really think hard about are if I'm thinking of a 10 or thinking of going below 5.

There's a bit of a dichotomy in play because at the end of the day we're just chatting shit on the internet but on the other hand music is important to us as individuals, because if it weren't we probably wouldn't be on this thread in the first place.

I think there's a small number of 'disciplined' posters who are pretty consistent with their scoring but the rest of us go with our mood at the time. It sometimes leaves me in the same situation you mentioned where I realise I've overscored recent picks and it's left me nowhere to go. The only scores I really think hard about are if I'm thinking of a 10 or thinking of going below 5.

There's a bit of a dichotomy in play because at the end of the day we're just chatting shit on the internet but on the other hand music is important to us as individuals, because if it weren't we probably wouldn't be on this thread in the first place.
Hopefully that’s how most will take it.
When it comes to my own choices or opinions I’m happy if I’ve managed to put down in writing what I’m truly feeling. How a piece of music hits me.
Then if I can get through to one other on here and impart something new, the jobs a good’un.

First listen was on way back from work Friday morning after a night shift. Not sure if that was exactly the best time to appreciate it...but one huge plus point for it is that it certainly helps my fuel comsumption. Never felt the need to go about 60 and it just upped to 61.5mpg. maybe I should keep playing it!

I shall give it a few more listens over the weekend but, having read so many of the gushing reviews, I have to think I missed something on my first listen.

I think this was always destined for reasonably polarised scores and it just so happened the gushers got in first.

As gusher-in-chief it did occur to me to leave my thoughts till later but these days if I don't type them in reasonably quickly after I have them they are lost forever!

After a slow start with this album, initially thinking it overrated, I've loved it for years without ever delving deeply into why till this week. Paradoxically for something as emotionally driven as music, one of the things I like best about this thread is that it makes me think.

I think this was always destined for reasonably polarised scores and it just so happened the gushers got in first.

As gusher-in-chief it did occur to me to leave my thoughts till later but these days if I don't type them in reasonably quickly after I have them they are lost forever!

After a slow start with this album, initially thinking it overrated, I've loved it for years without ever delving deeply into why till this week. Paradoxically for something as emotionally driven as music, one of the things I like best about this thread is that it makes me think.
Ditto, with this thread and the general football threads on here...(as of course I come at football from the other end of the East Lancs Road...or originally & more correctly M56/M53) it does cause me to question my view and why I think as I do.

I do like a bit of "wall of sound" & energy with much of my music, but also like some minimalisim/sparseness with it. So why would I love Oasis but not so much Muse/PJ? Why love Aphex Twin or the odd bit of Michelle Shocked and not this (on first listen)?

Much has been made of this selection needing a moment or mood and I wondered if this should have such a impact on how we view our music? Driving music (to the match), background music, sing along with your mates music and it does come down to how we feel at that moment, the music coupled with our lives and whether we are "in tune" with what we are listening to.

So I shall away to do some cooking and give this another listen to see if it helps with food prep.

So I shall away to do some cooking and give this another listen to see if it helps with food prep.
Terrible responding to myself!!!
I did give this another listen whilst making the dinner yeasterday and Im afraid it just sort of washed over me. Certainly no dancing around the kitchen in my pinny.

So it was 3rd listen today as I drove my son to work. Once again I started to question why this simply wasnt chiming with me. It then hit me, that I have a real issue with the voice. I sort of liked the synth background and could almost liken it to abit of 80s ambience, certainly 80s pop....and then an image flashed into my mind.

Paul Buchanan with his pastel coloured jacket, sleeves part rolled up on the stage at the Pheonix Club with Brian, Jerry & Co just looking at them blankly.

Going to give it another try but have to say that this selection just isnt doing anything for me.

Terrible responding to myself!!!
I did give this another listen whilst making the dinner yeasterday and Im afraid it just sort of washed over me. Certainly no dancing around the kitchen in my pinny.

So it was 3rd listen today as I drove my son to work. Once again I started to question why this simply wasnt chiming with me. It then hit me, that I have a real issue with the voice. I sort of liked the synth background and could almost liken it to abit of 80s ambience, certainly 80s pop....and then an image flashed into my mind.

Paul Buchanan with his pastel coloured jacket, sleeves part rolled up on the stage at the Pheonix Club with Brian, Jerry & Co just looking at them blankly.

Going to give it another try but have to say that this selection just isnt doing anything for me.
Did he roll his sleeves up.Change my mark to a one.lol

Do scores have to be in tonight?

Ok. I’ve really enjoyed putting Blue Nile on. It’s a pick that was by and large new to me.
I was probably overthinking about the score earlier in the week. Wondering where I d place it in relation to the last few offerings. But I’ve decided now.

This was a great album to put on in its entirety, chilling on my own with a glass of whatever.
It was also a great album to put on with my wife, in the morning having a cuppa.

I’ve had it on while pottering about doing one thing or another. It’s great background music. But here’s the thing. I don’t think at any point the lyrics actually sank into my consciousness. Still haven’t. It is mood music and I like the ambience it creates.
There were comparisons made with Talk Talk and I got it.
So I revisited them, playing Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden. I rate both of these albums highly. CoS is definitely better than SoE. SoE is moodier and at times almost depressing.
So this album in comparison to CoS , I found more…. Anonymous.
It doesn’t have the memorable individual songs outside the context of the album as a whole. The album as a whole seems to be the purpose.
There isn’t the strength of individual instruments either and Hollis’s voice is more distinct too.

So it sounds like I’m running ‘Hats’ down.
Far from it though. I’m just trying to justify why I’m only giving it a 7, while openly admitting I’d play this again far quicker than the Oasis or INXS.

The whole album is a feel or a longing that I can see myself reaching for again like craving that wants satisfying.
I love the vocals and the ambience as they suit each other so well. I don’t feel the production is dated. It is of its time but also timeless which is probably an indication of the quality of the product.
The orchestration is probably something that should date it, but the end product is so listenable. I have no idea what any of the songs are about, but it doesn’t matter. I know I will listen to this again… when the mood takes me.

Do scores have to be in tonight?

Ok. I’ve really enjoyed putting Blue Nile on. It’s a pick that was by and large new to me.
I was probably overthinking about the score earlier in the week. Wondering where I d place it in relation to the last few offerings. But I’ve decided now.

This was a great album to put on in its entirety, chilling on my own with a glass of whatever.
It was also a great album to put on with my wife, in the morning having a cuppa.

I’ve had it on while pottering about doing one thing or another. It’s great background music. But here’s the thing. I don’t think at any point the lyrics actually sank into my consciousness. Still haven’t. It is mood music and I like the ambience it creates.
There were comparisons made with Talk Talk and I got it.
So I revisited them, playing Colour of Spring and Spirit of Eden. I rate both of these albums highly. CoS is definitely better than SoE. SoE is moodier and at times almost depressing.
So this album in comparison to CoS , I found more…. Anonymous.
It doesn’t have the memorable individual songs outside the context of the album as a whole. The album as a whole seems to be the purpose.
There isn’t the strength of individual instruments either and Hollis’s voice is more distinct too.

So it sounds like I’m running ‘Hats’ down.
Far from it though. I’m just trying to justify why I’m only giving it a 7, while openly admitting I’d play this again far quicker than the Oasis or INXS.

The whole album is a feel or a longing that I can see myself reaching for again like craving that wants satisfying.
I love the vocals and the ambience as they suit each other so well. I don’t feel the production is dated. It is of its time but also timeless which is probably an indication of the quality of the product.
The orchestration is probably something that should date it, but the end product is so listenable. I have no idea what any of the songs are about, but it doesn’t matter. I know I will listen to this again… when the mood takes me.
Lots I agree with in your review mate. The album is one I still play regularly and have done for the last 30+ years. Very few albums are as 'complete' in that there is no temptation to skip a track or put a few tracks on a play list. With Hats, you want to listen to the whole thing. Are there better songs on CoS? Yes almost certainly. The instruments are simply played but applied in the same way as a painter applies brush strokes, to create the perfect texture.
Will I continue to listen to Hats more regularly than CoS? Yes, of that I am certain.

What I guarantee is that the more you play the album the less 'anonymous' a number of songs will get. And the songs are about love bro. Relationships, their heady beginning to the inevitable breakdown. Buchanans vocals are perfect for the songs that he writes.
I liked your use of the word 'longing'. I still feel it for this album decades after it was released. I genuinely can't think of another I feel the same way about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.