The Album Review Club - Week #136 - (page 1746) - The Rise And Fall Of A Midwest Princess - Chappell Roan

So onto The Stranglers.

I have BMR to thank for the fact that I have several Stranglers cds. For a long time I only have a compilation but his persistent urging led me to invest in more of their catalogue.

I did in fact buy "Grip.." from this album as a single when it was originally released.

Rattus is naturally one of the albums I own and it is a good one.

I hadn't noticed before but I found shades of Blue Oyster Cult n the first and last tracks. The album is bookended by two of its best numbers.

Peaches of course was the hit single and it does bring back memories of Welsh beaches.

I'm not the biggest fan of the vocals but they are an integral part of the band's distinctive sound and a re perhaps what got them lumped in with the New Wave. The music although sometimes a little quirky is less so but there's plenty going on. JJB's bass is always interesting but the star is Dave Greenfield, whose influences are impeccable. I particularly like his interplay with Hugh Cornwell on "Hanging Around" and the mega solo in "Down in the Sewer".

My real score is 8/10.
I’m sorry OB1 if you read the rules (Rule 83.5 sub section 9b) your first score has is the one that counts. Any subsequent variance of said score is dismissed.
0/10 it is I’m afraid smartarse ;)

Gonna match BMR with a 9/10 here, though was a bit tempted to go higher. Their best album imho, in fact apart from the odd single I’d lost a bit of interest in them by the third album.
The energy, the clever and funny lyrics and the ability of all 4 of them to play properly made them a bit special. I’d take them over any other Punk/New Wave band in that era.

The colours provided by the keyboards also took them to another level. I recall seeing Cornwell a few year back solo and being completely crestfallen to see him appear on stage as a trio. It was almost as if he was trying to prove, these are my songs and they stand up perfectly well without all those keyboard flourishes. He was still great himself, but there was just so much missing from the effect of the tracks.

Anyway, yep, fabulous choice @BlueMoonRisin’

Despite its misogynistic overtones I love this album.
Particularly has a sweaty summery feel to it. Probably composed/recorded in hot Summer 76.
Making love to the Mersey Tunnel,
With a sausage have you ever been to Liverpool?

That line from London Lady is probably my favourite on the album. Although I do like (from Ugly) -
I'd like to see a passionate film between the two ugliest
people in the world. When I say ugly
I don't mean rough looking
I mean hideous.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.