The Album Review Club - Week #136 - (page 1746) - The Rise And Fall Of A Midwest Princess - Chappell Roan

That's bollox that Bimbo because Kaz once said I was her favourite poster.

Anyway, not to derail the thread topic what's your opinion on Rattus Norvegicus?
Only to your face...a right slagging off behind your back...

I'm still listening to it, again. Going away until Monday in a mo so you won't get a low score out of me until Tuesday

Amazing what little nuggets of info this thread actually reveals. Had it on in car after collecting wife from work this morning. She just drops in, "Oh yes, I went to see the Stranglers". Thats us together for almost 30 years and I never knew that!
Had listened to the odd single of theirs previously but never a full album. despite often thinking that I should after hearing Stuart Pearce go on about them on TS

I liked some of their singles and think I had a compilation cd at one time. I like half the tracks on here and dislike half. A distinctive sound and vocals. I wasn’t joking about the Doors though, a band that was musically superior. Will give it another couple of listens.

I liked some of their singles and think I had a compilation cd at one time. I like half the tracks on here and dislike half. A distinctive sound and vocals. I wasn’t joking about the Doors though, a band that was musically superior. Will give it another couple of listens.
I think you're saying the Doors were musically superior because you're familiar with them and not The Strangers. I'm familiar with both bands and I really like the doors but I think The Stranglers are better. And Ray Manzarek was nowhere near the keyboard player Dave Greenfield was; )

I think you're saying the Doors were musically superior because you're familiar with them and not The Strangers. I'm familiar with both bands and I really like the doors but I think The Stranglers are better. And Ray Manzarek was nowhere near the keyboard player Dave Greenfield was; )
I'm pretty familiar with both groups thanks (although I'm not sure I have heard a great deal of the Strangers) and to me the Stranglers don't come close musically. That's putting aside the derivative nature of much of the Stranglers sound. Don't get me wrong though, I do like lots of what they have released and had a couple of years back then listening to their music a lot. I won't be giving them a 'it's shite' review though pal so cool your jets :-).

So onto The Stranglers.

I have BMR to thank for the fact that I have several Stranglers cds. For a long time I only have a compilation but his persistent urging led me to invest in more of their catalogue.

I did in fact buy "Grip.." from this album as a single when it was originally released.

Rattus is naturally one of the albums I own and it is a good one.

I hadn't noticed before but I found shades of Blue Oyster Cult n the first and last tracks. The album is bookended by two of its best numbers.

Peaches of course was the hit single and it does bring back memories of Welsh beaches.

I'm not the biggest fan of the vocals but they are an integral part of the band's distinctive sound and a re perhaps what got them lumped in with the New Wave. The music although sometimes a little quirky is less so but there's plenty going on. JJB's bass is always interesting but the star is Dave Greenfield, whose influences are impeccable. I particularly like his interplay with Hugh Cornwell on "Hanging Around" and the mega solo in "Down in the Sewer".

My real score is 8/10.
I remember one of my classmates had his cassette of Rattus Norvegicus on his desk.

The teacher saw it, and said, "Rattus Norvegicus, what’s that?" Stupid old twat!

Hanging Around is my favourite track, though No More Heroes, followed by Golden Brown are, IMHO, their best songs.

I'm pretty familiar with both groups thanks (although I'm not sure I have heard a great deal of the Strangers) and to me the Stranglers don't come close musically. That's putting aside the derivative nature of much of the Stranglers sound. Don't get me wrong though, I do like lots of what they have released and had a couple of years back then listening to their music a lot. I won't be giving them a 'it's shite' review though pal so cool your jets :-).
Sorry mate but you can't really say that without hearing a lot more than you've heard. You may still prefer The Doors(fair enough) but The Stranglers are a much better band than many give them credit for. Do me a favour and listen to their albums in order like I said to @OB1 a while back. He now appreciates them a lot more than he first thought he would : )

Dave Greenfield was brilliant!
I think he's been the best keyboard player ever, even better than Rick Wakeman and that's saying something! But it's all about opinion.

Thanks to @RobMCFC for inviting me to nominate an album as this is excellent thread but not one I've kept up with. In future I'll review up and coming albums and I have a few more albums I'd like to nominate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.