The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Hearing the rain come down now and at the start of this week's selection reminds me that TS Debby is now here to hang around for the next 4 days or so. The opening track rain isn't exactly "Riders on the Storm" as this one, after the bell tolls, takes us right into Iommi's guitar and the "Black Sabbath" that Black Sabbath started on Black Sabbath.

(confused yet? ;-)

Any song that scares the bass player (not many nicknamed "Geezer" btw) down to his Catholic faith core in all the doom rock and Satan that was part of that has my vote. Geezer also named the band, and this song doesn't disappoint as an intro rocker.

Led Zeppelin's first album was released about one year earlier, and their self-titled debut album and opening song “Good Times Bad Times” were fantastic too, and also helped define them and their unique sound. While I owned Sabbath's Paranoid album, this was never a band I would listen to their back catalogue of, while I did on all of Zeppelin. I ended up listening to Ozzy’s solo albums as they came out, especially on the first 2 with Randy Rhodes. Everyone else too in middle school was listening to those 2 albums.

Ozzy’s harmonica playing totally makes “The Wizard” as it sets the tune for what the guitars later are riffing on. This is an all-out belter and pretty much continues on the theme from the first track: evil power, weaving his spell, long grey cloak, demons – this track has it all.

“Behind the Wall of Sleep” has a nice tempo change in it as it gets into the “remorse and corpse” section, that includes a nice Iommi guitar solo.

Geezer shines on the intro to “N.I.B”, before Iommi’s classic signature riff takes over. This was a song I had heard prior – as it was hard not to. Geezer’s lyrics on Satan falling in love was an interesting take. I enjoyed the music a bit more to this song than the lyrics, which by now are feeling a bit one-dimensional.

“Evil Woman” wasn’t released in the US until 2002 on a compilation album. Iommi’s guitar solo and Geezer’s bass lines after the chorus refrain were the best parts of this song.

The album ends well with “Sleeping Village” and “Warning” musically, with an emphasis on the drums, guitar, and bass, but I didn’t think Ozzy’s vocals worked so well on these, especially on the last. Thankfully there was more music than vocals.

After three listens, I liked this, but it wasn’t anything that especially stood out to me. I guess I appreciate the influence more to heavy metal than the album itself. Admittedly, I have no memories of this or nostalgia to hang my hat onto either. For that reason, I’m at a 7/10 on this, and admittedly this wouldn’t be one I’d choose to listen to over Zep’s first that started it all for them.

Paul Kossoff, Simon Kirke. :). Andy Fraser excellent bassist and songwriter.

“Alright Now”. Is as good as it gets but plenty of other good stuff

Ha. I think Simon Kosoff was his brother. His dad David was an actor of some repute. Free did some great stuff including 'Alright now' (which for me has been overplayed) but Im sure I had a live album of theirs that contained a cover of the Albert King, The Hunter (also included in "how Many More Times, On Zeppelin 1) which was really good.
I absolutely loved Paul Rogers voice, for me he was up there with the very best.

Heavy metal, yeah sure I like some heavy metal. There's that Ace of Spades by Motorhead and erm, Paranoid by Black Sabbath, that's a belter, they must be good. In fact come to think of it many years ago I heard Technical Ecstasy by them and remember liking it. Not heard it for years though and when I've just googled it it seems that it was actually a bit shit. Well, not shit but didn't go down that well with the Sabheads, or whatever they are called, with it's experimentation or something.

Why haven't I listened to Technical Ecstasy in years? Well the truth is I don't think I do like heavy metal, all that noise and high pitched wailing about the devil and the biting the heads off bats. Etc

Interesting to note the review one or two above this from @Black&White&BlueMoon Town who brings Led Zeppelin into it and the previous comments about Sabbath, Zeppelin and Deep Purple. I do like Led Zeppelin's first and have it on vinyl. I'm also partial to a bit of The Song Remains the Same although when I had a cull of my downloaded music sometime ago all the other Zeppelin albums went because, well I gave them a listen first but... and anyway isn't Led Zep 1 more bluesy than heavy metal?

The first time I played this album it was with my wife present. She definitelydoesn't like heavy metal and I think subconsciously I may have been looking for some confirmation of my existing bias. Which duly came.

I explained the "rules" to her that it had to be listened to at least three times and she said can't you just say you have. No, no thrice no, it doesn't work like that...

So three it is/ was. And it won't be any more.

But, well it wasn't so bad. One of the listens was while I was at the gym, the only time I ever listen to music on headphones. The criticisms that have been made about the lyrics here are valid but then I don't suppose they are meant to be taken that seriously and once you get into the music, some of it was OK, the riffs were fine, the extended solos or whatever dragged on a bit.

I think I actually liked Evil Woman. Not as much as the ELO version (yes I know) but it was the track on here that most resembled a song. Of the rest I can't really differentiate. The Wizard has come up on a playlist hasn't it so was more familiar but also towards the more ridiculous end of the spectrum.

I don't like to dismiss anyone's choices and my preconceptions went against it but as good as it gets is to say well it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, or fairer to say it was better but I'm not going to get into it. Although I will probably download Paranoid for my random playlist.

It's not shit just because it's not my thing and scores of five or below are reserved for that so it has to sit on that just above middling 6 line.

A lot of 5/10 comments in a number of 7/10 reviews makes me increasingly confident that a lot of you liked this less than you are saying.

You suggesting two tier scoring going on?

While on that, I will say this (and have done so previously). And I say this as my own conviction for my nominations, not this album. I am always more interested in the comments than the score, and would rather see a low score that 'gets' the album, than a middle of the ground score that perhaps doesn't.

I much prefer a 2 or 3 like the one Rob gave crawler the last round for exampe, where I could tell he listened to it and had a passionate response, than saying generic and inoffensive bits and giving it a 5,6. And I like responding to that and it shouldn't be taken as dissatisfaction, but as eager engagement.

Last edited:
Ha. I think Simon Kosoff was his brother. His dad David was an actor of some repute. Free did some great stuff including 'Alright now' (which for me has been overplayed) but Im sure I had a live album of theirs that contained a cover of the Albert King, The Hunter (also included in "how Many More Times, On Zeppelin 1) which was really good.
I absolutely loved Paul Rogers voice, for me he was up there with the very best.
Paul Rodgers is one of the very best Blues rock vocalists, perhaps the finest. A very good singer. Seen him live a few times solo, with Bad Co, The Firm and Queen. Queen was interesting and demonstrated his versatility.

Last time I saw him, he was doing just Free songs. Went on the last minute as it was in Oxford. Bought seats in the Balcony but as they had not sold many tickets in that tier, we were moved to front stalls. And then for the encore, Brian Johnson and Robert Plant wandered out to sing a song with Paul.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

The intro reminded me of AC/DC Hells Bells - was hoping for more of a crashing heavy metal sound to kick in but it didn’t really get going until the end.

As many have said it was overall less heavy metal and more blues rock.

Guitar riffs throughout sound great, ‘wicked world’ has a ‘Foxy Lady’ Jimi Hendrix sound.

‘Monster’ similar - great bass, guitar throughout and a blues rock jam - also ‘Warning’ - some great guitar parts in all of them.

‘Evil Women’ the most pop sounding singalong song so I enjoyed that one.

Lyrically I’ll deduct a point, never can take the concept of Devils, Evil spells and all that nonsense seriously , similar to Rush when they sing about wizards, Magic and sacred mountains .

Overall very much enjoyed, I like Black Sabbath - very talented musicianship and felt like they stayed humble throughout their career.

Easy to forget this was a landmark album spawning a whole new genre, one which I’ve never got into but for this pick I certainly enjoyed and glad it was more blues than metal.

7/10

* I forgot N.I.B and that Led Zep riff, great track.

I’ll now go 8/10 instead.

Last edited:
Paul Rodgers is one of the very best Blues rock vocalists, perhaps the finest. A very good singer. Seen him live a few times solo, with Bad Co, The Firm and Queen. Queen was interesting and demonstrated his versatility.

Last time I saw him, he was doing just Free songs. Went on the last minute as it was in Oxford. Bought seats in the Balcony but as they had not sold many tickets in that tier, we were moved to front stalls. And then for the encore, Brian Johnson and Robert Plant wandered out to sing a song with Paul.
That sounds wonderful. Had he kept his voice intact?

Have seen Robert a number of times and he just gets better the older he gets. I love that he just rolls on, doesn't make a big deal of the past and continues to make interesting music.

Reactions: OB1

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.