The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

I don't think I'd realised how many regulars on the thread are not fans of heavy metal. Because it's a relatively rock orientated group of people I tend to make the lazy assumption that all rock genres are viewed broadly equally by the folks here which even a cursory glance tells you is not true.

My very simplistic view of heavy metal is that I like some of it in small doses and typically it tends to be the earlier acts. Then there's the occasional band I like who I know are technically metal but who sort of transcend genre, the most obvious of which for me is Motorhead. I'm sure that across what is a pretty vast landscape of metal there's other stuff I'd like but effort vs reward compared to other genres means I'm just not inclined to seek it out. I'm also fearful I'd have to plough through acres of dross to find the good stuff.

I think my enjoyment of this pick is in part listening to some of the development of the genre play out. You can definitely listen to this as an interesting bridge from what existed before to what it subsequently spawned. I relistened to Paranoid as part of this pick and I think it's a better album but this one is more interesting. I also really like the DIY vibe to it too. Finally I may also have to accept that having now lived in the Midlands longer than I lived in Manchester I've possibly become a bit brainwashed!!

I don't think I'd realised how many regulars on the thread are not fans of heavy metal. Because it's a relatively rock orientated group of people I tend to make the lazy assumption that all rock genres are viewed broadly equally by the folks here which even a cursory glance tells you is not true.

My very simplistic view of heavy metal is that I like some of it in small doses and typically it tends to be the earlier acts. Then there's the occasional band I like who I know are technically metal but who sort of transcend genre, the most obvious of which for me is Motorhead. I'm sure that across what is a pretty vast landscape of metal there's other stuff I'd like but effort vs reward compared to other genres means I'm just not inclined to seek it out. I'm also fearful I'd have to plough through acres of dross to find the good stuff.

I think my enjoyment of this pick is in part listening to some of the development of the genre play out. You can definitely listen to this as an interesting bridge from what existed before to what it subsequently spawned. I relistened to Paranoid as part of this pick and I think it's a better album but this one is more interesting. I also really like the DIY vibe to it too. Finally I may also have to accept that having now lived in the Midlands longer than I lived in Manchester I've possibly become a bit brainwashed!!
If you look at the list of albums on page 1, there are very few pure 'Heavy Metal' albums, maybe three or four and all from the same poster :-)
Come to think of it prog rock is pretty underrepresented too. Foxtrot and Red off the top of my head. Maybe I should propose Tales from Topographic Oceans as my next pick. It would be a sure fire 9 from everybody.

Can't remember who it was that used the line that this was more like 'heavy blues' than heavy metal.

I have to agree. It is interesting for me, I acknowledge its influence on later bands, but those I noted are all the 'desert rock' subgenre, as opposed the true classic heavy metal that others note. And that's the sound I like in it. I'm sure they may he Did open the door to heavy metal bands, but the more direct influence is far less noticable to me.

Can't remember who it was that used the line that this was more like 'heavy blues' than heavy metal.

I have to agree. It is interesting for me, I acknowledge its influence on later bands, but those I noted are all the 'desert rock' subgenre, as opposed the true classic heavy metal that others note. And that's the sound I like in it. I'm sure they may he Did open the door to heavy metal bands, but the more direct influence is far less noticable to me.
I may have mentioned the heavy blues in my opener for this one, although one or two have also picked up on it.
For the metal I listen to, this isn’t it by any measure. I think a few have pointed out the heavy plodding nature of this album which is really important in the future development of metal. No, it doesn’t have the tempo of Paranoid but it’s the doom laden lyrics, the driving bass and the lovely distortion that set the scene for what was to come.
One or two had done this before, and I don’t think anyone has mentioned the influence of the iconic Iron Butterfly album. As OB1 mentioned though, no one did it quite like Sabbath and they milked the hell (quite literally) out of what their public wanted at the time.
I’m surprised this has gone down as well as it seems to have done - I’m not so sure about my next pick :)

I have listened to a couple of rock live albums the past week.Albums I have not heard in years and years.
Both great
Life by Thin Lizzy and Live in the Heart of the City by Whitesnake.
It's a shame Whitesnake could get nowhere near their live sound in the studio.

I think I’ve been guilty of that in the past - see my Stranglers score ;)
My Led Zeppelin score is way over in what I think of it today.
For some reason I have stopped listening to them over the year because I find them boring all of a sudden.
The Pistols Never Mind another record I have fell out of love with.

For some reason I have stopped listening to them over the year because I find them boring all of a sudden.
That happened to me a few years ago with Zeppelin. The affection has slowly returned but not for all of their stuff. Maybe it’s because a great deal of their output is overplayed. I cannot listen to StH anymore.

Which suggests it kind of depends on mood - it does with me.

If you look at the list of albums on page 1, there are very few pure 'Heavy Metal' albums, maybe three or four and all from the same poster :-)
Come to think of it prog rock is pretty underrepresented too. Foxtrot and Red off the top of my head. Maybe I should propose Tales from Topographic Oceans as my next pick. It would be a sure fire 9 from everybody.
Jon still hears boos from the stage from that tour in his sleep, so best not.

You'd have me up there, but not sure how many others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.