The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

If you look at the list of albums on page 1, there are very few pure 'Heavy Metal' albums, maybe three or four and all from the same poster :-)
Come to think of it prog rock is pretty underrepresented too. Foxtrot and Red off the top of my head. Maybe I should propose Tales from Topographic Oceans as my next pick. It would be a sure fire 9 from everybody.
Just looking back at the list, I’m not seeing any. Either I’m looking at the wrong list or your view of metal is different to mine - which would be an interesting debate in itself. I thought we’d had a Pantera album. It I’m not seeing it now

Just looking back at the list, I’m not seeing any. Either I’m looking at the wrong list or your view of metal is different to mine - which would be an interesting debate in itself. I thought we’d had a Pantera album. It I’m not seeing it now
I think Pantera was on the Top 1100 albums thread, not on here.

Well the truth is I don't think I do like heavy metal, all that noise and high pitched wailing about the devil and the biting the heads off bats. Etc
Same
Interesting to note the review one or two above this from @Black&White&BlueMoon Town who brings Led Zeppelin into it and the previous comments about Sabbath, Zeppelin and Deep Purple. I do like Led Zeppelin's first and have it on vinyl. I'm also partial to a bit of The Song Remains the Same although when I had a cull of my downloaded music sometime ago all the other Zeppelin albums went because, well I gave them a listen first but... and anyway isn't Led Zep 1 more bluesy than heavy metal?
Yes, and I agree that this one is too, but writers and some view it as the "birth" of heavy meal, and we all know from looking at the mirror that where things start at birth ain't exactly where things are now, huh? Same with that genre label. I also agree with threespires take on that I'm not listening to much heavier after that or where this has gone, but I can appreciate where it started on a mostly blank canvas.

I'll say this, I certainly wasn't going to give this a "5" because I liked the music on the first side, and even towards the final track. "The Wizard" might even be my favourite, but I can easily name 4 songs I love off of Zep's first and it too (to me, and my singular focused), was my intro to the heavy sound that took old blues songs into a Spinal Tap level where I didn't think they'd go. Back then as an early teen in hearing these albums, I was more more interested in the Zep loud and varied sound from track to track rather than focusing on "that (constant) devil music" as this got tagged with. I wasn't a moody and glum kid, in fact the opposite, and playing this just wasn't going to be what interested me, or the girls I knew I was way more interested in. ;-)

It's not shit just because it's not my thing and scores of five or below are reserved for that so it has to sit on that just above middling 6 line.
I was at a 6.5 until I rethought its influence on that "birth of" and gave it the nod. Besides, it's still the Olympics, and no one likes a sour judge.

Last edited:
That sounds wonderful. Had he kept his voice intact?

Have seen Robert a number of times and he just gets better the older he gets. I love that he just rolls on, doesn't make a big deal of the past and continues to make interesting music.
Yeah, Rodgers' voice was still good.

Plant has had a fascinating career. Saw a short set from him earlier this year and he was great. I also like the fact he has grown old gracefully, no plastic surgery for him.

Quite possibly. Kiss? Aerosmith? Rush? Rainbow? You are probably correct but then I am crap at all this genre stuff.

Just had a listen to the "Paranoid" album and enjoyed that too - of course, I recognised the title track as soon as it started.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.