The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Yeah, I have written 3 books and regularly post videos that get plenty of views and comments. On the whole, the feedback is positive but you do get occasional barbs that you have to learn to live with. You can’t please all of the people all of the time, so if you please most people most of the time, you’re doing well.

Great review @journolud - and I’m in total agreement about the value of reviews, and in some cases joy of reading them. Some people just like to listen to albums, watch TV and films and them move on, and that’s fine. I always want to know how and why something was made, what did the people think before, during and after they made it, and what others reaction to it was. This is where the value of a good review comes in.
I also write and offer my opinions for a living and plenty of what I say publicly gets criticiz(s)ed in a wide variety of forums, some of which I can’t respond to for regulatory reasons. I have to publicly critique people I know. It can be trying. But what did Lester Bangs (allegedly) say? “Be honest and unmerciful.” In the end being thoughtful and balanced earns respect even as it earns brickbats.

Great points/position, obviously minus the intellectual posturing thing which is very hurtful. It can't be right because it's not as if my wife, family, mates, colleagues have ever said.....oh hang on a mo.
To be fair we all like an audience to varying degrees. That is after all why we contribute to the forum. There are worse ways of getting heard

Tried this album in a few different ways. Currently listening to it in what is probably its most appropriate relative setting. A Peter Howson exhibition.

Not planned it, juat happened to have my earphones on me and thought worth trying it. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

Do you think it has in any way changed how or what you write/say about others' work? Or how you take reviews.
Probably not because I always try to be honest. But yes, there are times where I step back and think about what it must have taken to write or record something before I criticise it.

To be fair we all like an audience to varying degrees. That is after all why we contribute to the forum. There are worse ways of getting heard

Depends on the audience mate :-) It did cross my mind to just sit this one out but then I thought if one of my biggest single criticisms of this is that to me it's a symbol (albeit a trivial one) of the increasing dumbing down and apathy in society it seems a bit hypocritical to just go...meh whatever. For all my sometimes florid language it is a heartfelt opinion, I really hate it. We're only people on an internet forum chatting shit about music and we all have much bigger fish to fry in the real world, but nonetheless it's still healthy to have a diversity of opinion and to be able to discuss these intelligently and respectfully.

I digress. I listened to OK Computer this morning, I think I had been putting it off for a reason I can't understand. I had it on a few weeks ago but there was maybe an anxiety that having to listen to it for review I might find I didn't like it after all or not as much as I thought I did.
I've listened to it enough, it's just my review I'm putting off... for now. ;-)
It's not in the best album ever lists for me but you know what, leaving aside the motives of the band, the words written about it, the analysis this is a pretty fine body of work. Airbag and Paranoid Android are good openers but it really gets into its stride for me with the next four songs, all of a mood and all brilliant.

I've always thought that Fitter, Happier was a bit pointless and not that clever but it does serve at least as a bit of an intermission after the first six tracks. The closing sections of the album aren't quite as strong but neither does it have particular weaknesses and in No Surprises has one of those classic songs us mopey types really like.
Bingo on all accounts. I no longer skip over Fitter, Happier like I initially did, but more on that to come in my review.
I've had an ambivalent relationship with Radiohead's later music. Kid A, Hail to the Thief I listen to less. I think I prefer those albums to be shorter. In comparison In Rainbows ( which I'm listening to as I write and being reminded what a good album it is) and Moon Shaped Pool represented a return to "form".
That is/was something that I was going to mention as well, as IR and MSP are two of my favourites, and albums I now listen to regularly, more than OK Computer. I like much of HttT as it to me was a returning to form after not enjoying much of Kid A at all. Unlike a few here, I didn't give up on them and I think those of us that didn't were well rewarded when In Rainbows came out in 2007. Their "From the Basement" video of that album is something special to watch as well.
My favourite Radiohead album remains the Bends and there is an emotional connection there, coming at a particular time in my life. But OK Computer as it turns out, having mused earlier how many 5s,6s and 7s it would get and thinking I would be at the upper end of that range is actually more than OK and gets an 8.
I think I need to listen to the Bends before my OK Computer review, because that was for me their first album I heard start to finish. I listened to Pablo Honey after the fact and that is 2nd lowest listened to after Kid A. A well done review, and I thought a few comments back was deserved given that, more than just merely a like. Cheers!

Depends on the audience mate :-) It did cross my mind to just sit this one out but then I thought if one of my biggest single criticisms of this is that to me it's a symbol (albeit a trivial one) of the increasing dumbing down and apathy in society it seems a bit hypocritical to just go...meh whatever. For all my sometimes florid language it is a heartfelt opinion, I really hate it. We're only people on an internet forum chatting shit about music and we all have much bigger fish to fry in the real world, but nonetheless it's still healthy to have a diversity of opinion and to be able to discuss these intelligently and respectfully.
Well said, and agreed wholeheartedly.

To quote that classic Aussie band I anticipate to hear much in the Cup thread...

"Don't change for you, don't change a thing for me". ;-)

Probably not because I always try to be honest. But yes, there are times where I step back and think about what it must have taken to write or record something before I criticise

I have gone full circle over time. Became more restrained, holding back commenting on things, back to accepting is part of stuff and everyone does it, and as long as you are not purposely a dick, it is ok to say what you think about stuff.

Well said, and agreed wholeheartedly.

To quote that classic Aussie band I anticipate to hear much in the Cup thread...

"Don't change for you, don't change a thing for me". ;-)
Obviously one of my favourite bands, but I don’t think the Bluemoon Cup is the right arena for them. There are two many who think that The Stone Roses/Happy Mondays invented dance-rock when INXS had been doing it for years, and doing it far better. Oh, and they also had once of the best singers of the rock generation. Best what’s that next to Ian Brown, eh?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.