The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Just had a Quick Look down the list an there’s probably not as many as you think.

Mellencamp isn’t really country so Jason Isbell is the only one in the top 50. Little Feat are a band in that genre and are also in the top 50.
Yeah, you are most certainly right. as I said, I'm pretty crap at assigning genres. Is JJ Cale not country rock? he plays some. yes Jason Isbell. What about Chris Whitley, Mellancamp, Seeger, Springsteen? Yes I know, I'm blurring genres. What are their UK equivalent that have been reviewed?

Great nomination. I think Copperhead Road is his best, but his first 3 major label albums, starting with this, then Exit 0 and then Copperhead Road, all in the space of two years launched a major new talent onto the scene.

Obviously I know the album well but I'll have a few listens before I post my thoughts.

EDIT: Oh, and about time that Steve Earle got nominated here, so well done.

Just seen what the nomination is and the first thought that popped into my head was 'about time we had some Steve Earle' and my second thought was 'surprised it's not Copperhead Road though'.

See, it's not just our love of Mike Skinner that we have in common ;-)

Great pick and looking forward to discussing the quality of some of these songs and an artist who is definitely an interesting one in all senses of the word.

Yeah, you are most certainly right. as I said, I'm pretty crap at assigning genres. Is JJ Cale not country rock? he plays some. yes Jason Isbell. What about Chris Whitley, Mellancamp, Seeger, Springsteen? Yes I know, I'm blurring genres. What are their UK equivalent that have been reviewed?
I would say all those artists fit in to the all encompassing Americana genre, but they’re not country as such.
As for UK equivalents that have been reviewed I would say Van Morrison,David Gray, Paul Brady and Billy Bragg.
There are very few UK country artists that I can think of maybe Dean Owens, Danny George Wilson and Sid Griffin.

It's interesting because Steve Earle definitely came from a country base whereas Springsteen was rock yet they probably both ended up in more or less the same place.

Obviously all of the artists you mention have an element of country or maybe the odd song that is influenced by country, but by and large they are a combination of multiple genres - Chris Whitley being very hard to pin down to one genre. An this is where Americana is different to country - the former encompassing the latter as one of it's main components.

I know I keep banging on about this, but the thing about John Mellencamp's The Lonesome Jubilee is that he's playing 80s hooks and grooves on Appalachian instruments - that's what makes that album so unique and special, but taking his career as a whole, he's definitely more or a pop/rock singer that has a rustic edge (and sings about the concerns of farmers!)

It's interesting because Steve Earle definitely came from a country base whereas Springsteen was rock yet they probably both ended up in more or less the same place.

Obviously all of the artists you mention have an element of country or maybe the odd song that is influenced by country, but by and large they are a combination of multiple genres - Chris Whitley being very hard to pin down to one genre. An this is where Americana is different to country - the former encompassing the latter as one of it's main components.

I know I keep banging on about this, but the thing about John Mellencamp's The Lonesome Jubilee is that he's playing 80s hooks and grooves on Appalachian instruments - that's what makes that album so unique and special, but taking his career as a whole, he's definitely more or a pop/rock singer that has a rustic edge (and sings about the concerns of farmers!)
A bit like the Wurzels then? ;)

I think you (and others) have successfully proven that there is not an over emphasis of American male country singers on this thread. Thank you for putting right an old git who is not that competent with 'genre politics'. I shall now look forward to listening to Steve Earle.

I think you (and others) have successfully proven that there is not an over emphasis of American male country singers on this thread. Thank you for putting right an old git who is not that competent with 'genre politics'. I shall now look forward to listening to Steve Earle.
I have three basic genres - like it, hate it and put up with it. Seems to work for me :)

Mellencamp started out as pop (rock) and morphed into whatever you want to call his style, which I definitely think influenced Steve Earle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.