The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

I'm sure I don't. I do find it quite amusing/interesting though. Take Emmylou Harris, an artist that I really quite like. Now the records I play of hers are from the latter part of her career, Wrecking Ball and Red Dirt Girl in particular (Americana). They are quite different to her early 'country' records which I like far less. So in a way it is useful when accurately applied to give the listener some prior indication as to what they will listen to. It would be interesting to apply a genre to each of our 132 choices to see their overall profile. I also feel the need for them to be in a spreadsheet so I can sort them into chronological order. But that's just me being sad.

I like the idea of a thread dedicated to 'the best year in music' with posters listing their favourite 3, 5 or 10 albums from that year and making a case for it being the strongest year in history. I think that might have legs.
It might be 1976!

That would be fun. I’m sure I have lists of best albums from various years that I found on a website.

Obviously I have all my cds on a spreadsheet but not with any dates against them, or genres; just artist, title and number of discs.

It might be 1976!

That would be fun. I’m sure I have lists of best albums from various years that I found on a website.

Obviously I have all my cds on a spreadsheet but not with any dates against them, or genres; just artist, title and number of discs.
you could make a strong case for any year between about 67-76. I often use this resource:

anyone else other than @OB1 and I want to play 'the very best year for music'? I'm more than happy to organise. Simply nominate your year and your list of 10 favourite albums from that year which demonstrate why it's the best. Then when everyone has nominated vote for your favourite (other than your own) and see if we get a winner. As always in these threads most fun will be in the discussion.

anyone else other than @OB1 and I want to play 'the very best year for music'? I'm more than happy to organise. Simply nominate your year and your list of 10 favourite albums from that year which demonstrate why it's the best. Then when everyone has nominated vote for your favourite (other than your own) and see if we get a winner. As always in these threads most fun will be in the discussion.
10 favourite albums?

Seems a lot, still, I'd be up for a challenge.

@Mancitydoogle is on trend with this pick as apparently the UK is up 67% year on year in streaming country music at the moment. Not sure the degree to which that's distorted by 70 gazillion streams of Beyonce's efforts which I must get round to having a listen to at some point.

Every now and then we go back to the genre discussion and I was reminded of this when doogle mentioned 'new country' which was indeed the term used for Earle and a host of others so broad as to render it meaningless other than as a marketing term to make country music seem less naff. In fairness it did the trick, it got the likes of Q magazine and even some of the music newspapers reviewing albums that they otherwise might not have done. Pretty sure the first Nanci Griffith album I bought was off the back of one of those types of 'new country' reviews, the fact that when I put it one it turned out to be folk music sung in a slightly cutsie Americana accent was neither here nor there as I enjoyed it immensely.

Back to the pick, I dug out my physical copy and was looking at the cover at the, not that young but, still relatively fresh faced man looking back at me and thinking of that face now and the life it has led. That thought made My Old Friend The Blues, which is already one of my favourite songs, all the more poignant to listen to.

I am happy to but I think it will most folks will tend to value sheer quantity of high-quality music (i.e. music they still like) per year than selecting a year with experimental changes in direction when it comes to determining "best years for music."

To me "best" years are going to be about transitions that wrecked what came before and gave artists opportunities to go in new directions. My years aren't going to be any of the years the rest of you pick.

Back to the pick, I dug out my physical copy and was looking at the cover at the, not that young but, still relatively fresh faced man looking back at me and thinking of that face now and the life it has led. That thought made My Old Friend The Blues, which is already one of my favourite songs, all the more poignant to listen to.
I had a similar thought. I haven't bothered to dig out my physical copy but I know that it has a plectrum inside the cover that I put there after his guitarist handed it to me after the show in '88.

It's a nice idea but this might mean listening to 80 or 90 albums nominated by others to get your favourite because there's a very good chance people will be coming up with stuff you don't know.

Obviously I'll play as far as possible but I can see me looking at the list for, say, 1974 and thinking I know two songs in total from all of those albums!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.