The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

Guys, if there are worries that it will interfere with this thread we don't need to do it. Maybe we should wait for one of the breaks? Rob, your call mate. I wouldn't want anything to dilute the attention to this thread.
Yeah, that's my thinking I guess.

I DO think, however, we should make an effort to fill in the years we don't have on this thread yet during the next round. Not a requirement but maybe we can "highly encourage" it. My next pick for this round won't do that but I do have another three that would.

@Mancitydoogle is on trend with this pick as apparently the UK is up 67% year on year in streaming country music at the moment. Not sure the degree to which that's distorted by 70 gazillion streams of Beyonce's efforts which I must get round to having a listen to at some point.

Every now and then we go back to the genre discussion and I was reminded of this when doogle mentioned 'new country' which was indeed the term used for Earle and a host of others so broad as to render it meaningless other than as a marketing term to make country music seem less naff. In fairness it did the trick, it got the likes of Q magazine and even some of the music newspapers reviewing albums that they otherwise might not have done. Pretty sure the first Nanci Griffith album I bought was off the back of one of those types of 'new country' reviews, the fact that when I put it one it turned out to be folk music sung in a slightly cutsie Americana accent was neither here nor there as I enjoyed it immensely.

Back to the pick, I dug out my physical copy and was looking at the cover at the, not that young but, still relatively fresh faced man looking back at me and thinking of that face now and the life it has led. That thought made My Old Friend The Blues, which is already one of my favourite songs, all the more poignant to listen to.

7% of that is probably this thread and the playlist one!

Here's another problem -- there are lots of great records that were released in one year in the UK and in a different year in the US or other countries. That creates an issue too. @Saddleworth2 your site has UK release dates I believe. In checking through it there are several records released either earlier or later in the States than in the UK.

I never expected you to follow us herd Foggy :-).
I think it can be either scenario the albums chosen should either demonstrate the quality/quantity of the work or their role in ‘changing’ the music landscape. Do you have views on the number? I would be happy with ten but if the consensus is five then fine with that too.

You thinking this as a separate thread?

I would say 5 personally, 10 distorts it, and might end up with a great year suffering from filler.

I would say 5 personally, 10 distorts it, and might end up with a great year suffering from filler.
No truly great year should suffer from filler at 10 records -- but it should be super hard to whittle it down to five :).

The more I think about it, the more I think this idea -- which I like in theory -- kind of mucks up this thread.

Yeah, that's my thinking I guess.

I DO think, however, we should make an effort to fill in the years we don't have on this thread yet during the next round. Not a requirement but maybe we can "highly encourage" it. My next pick for this round won't do that but I do have another three that would.

I can sort out 2009. If it hasn't been taken by then.

Looking at some of the years you could have 50 albums covering a wide spread of genres and no fillers. Some years are that strong.

No truly great year should suffer from filler at 10 records -- but it should be super hard to whittle it down to five :).

The more I think about it, the more I think this idea -- which I like in theory -- kind of mucks up this thread.
I can see that it might distract and take time from this thread but I don't know why it would screw with choices. One thread is concentrating on a year using multiple albums to highlight why the year was special. This thread deep dives on a specific album. The two could coexist quite happily. I would like Robs view. If he is in the slightest bit nervous then we shouldn't do it just now.

I can see that it might distract and take time from this thread but I don't know why it would screw with choices. One thread is concentrating on a year using multiple albums to highlight why the year was special. This thread deep dives on a specific album. The two could coexist quite happily. I would like Robs view. If he is in the slightest bit nervous then we shouldn't do it just now.
I was thinking all along this would be a separate thread and 5 sounded good for me. I think having this here would clutter up and take away from the singular album which we cover and focus on, and I don't want to be meddling or distracting from the current album at hand either (beyond which a Rolling Stone article on a particular instrument and the like will occasionally do).

I already have this and the playlist, so not even sure how I could fit this in, but I'm getting lots of good music from both now, so I'm willing to give a 3rd a go, especially for "the missing years".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.