The Album Review Club - Week #137 - (page 1774) - Wet Dream - Richard Wright

You could pick 5 albums and still exclude 50 great albums. Based on what little I know about you I suspect 97 is your year because spice girls released wannabe. Depeche Mode was the other artist that made me think of you. I think Foo Fighters might be a bit too commercial for you. Or I may be totally wrong and you like a little Janet Jackson?

Without derailing the thread, Foos back then were not the commercial beast they are now, and that was a good album. I preferred Samiam's You Are Freaking Me Out, which was very similar. Wrote out a few albums that were the first to pop into my head, but then thought best leaving it till the time is right and leaving it to the album at hand.

Without derailing the thread, Foos back then were not the commercial beast they are now, and that was a good album. I preferred Samiam's You Are Freaking Me Out, which was very similar. Wrote out a few albums that were the first to pop into my head, but then thought best leaving it till the time is right and leaving it to the album at hand.
Indeed it was their (the Foos) best and only truly great album. And I like them very much, and love Dave (so similar to Petty in terms of his complete immersion in and love for rock and roll).

I like the idea of doing it chronologically.

I have no real thoughts on album vs tracks at this point.

Maybe the two can go together in some way, not sure
It will be chronological and will feature albums and singles.
No probs with that but can you imagine another 30 comments at least added on to our review club.
Nothing against the best of year but it has to be a separate thread for it to work.All in my opinion off course.
It will be a separate thread.

Saddleworth2 and I will discuss this, but I fancy a start later this year, when the BlueMoon Cup finishes (among other reasons)

Have played it twice. Need at least a couple more listens. I would prefer a little less ‘twang’ guitars. The guy can write songs. It’s pleasant enough background music. It’s not doing much for me yet though.

Sorry, tried and tried and tried, just can't get over the drawl. Of both the singing and the instruments. I don't need BPMs or pace, but there is just something about this that seems to go nowhere. And while musically there is nothing offensive in it, I find it an unpleasant experience.

I'm sure he can write a song and a lyric and can play instruments, but I can't tell it from the next country singer. I gave copperhead road a go, it was the same but with a bit of distortion.

I get the same from this as I did Lucinda Williams, and although it doesn't grate as much as she did, my mood is the worse for it. So I guess it at least gets a point for making me feel something. Like that album, I considered not scoring, but I have now come to think of that as more disrespectful than giving it a number, so I will go with a 3.

Sorry, tried and tried and tried, just can't get over the drawl. Of both the singing and the instruments. I don't need BPMs or pace, but there is just something about this that seems to go nowhere. And while musically there is nothing offensive in it, I find it an unpleasant experience.

I'm sure he can write a song and a lyric and can play instruments, but I can't tell it from the next country singer. I gave copperhead road a go, it was the same but with a bit of distortion.

I get the same from this as I did Lucinda Williams, and although it doesn't grate as much as she did, my mood is the worse for it. So I guess it at least gets a point for making me feel something. Like that album, I considered not scoring, but I have now come to think of that as more disrespectful than giving it a number, so I will go with a 3.
You clearly don't get on with this kind of music so that's fair enough. If you don't like Copperhead Road, I'd be surprised if there's anything in this genre you will ever love!

As for the drawl, it's far more real and involving to me than somebody like Bowie or some false bravado "big man" voices like we've heard from some of the 70s stuff. As ever, it's all about our own personal preferences.

You clearly don't get on with this kind of music so that's fair enough. If you don't like Copperhead Road, I'd be surprised if there's anything in this genre you will ever love!

As for the drawl, it's far more real and involving to me than somebody like Bowie or some false bravado "big man" voices like we've heard from some of the 70s stuff. As ever, it's all about our own personal preferences.

Just for clarity, by drawl I don't mean the accent. I mean the singing and music.

I think the genre is all important. As I mentioned, I really like stuff Emmylou Harris has done but in the latter stages of her career it’s almost Americana. Ditto Bruce at his quietest like the albums Nebraska and Tom Joad. I can listen to country rock quite happily. It’s when the music strays into pure country I start having problems. Bluegrass I can take (Alison Kraus) as it has firm roots in Celtic music. The only country artist I can honestly say I like is Dolly P but she does a load of bluegrass too. It’s something about the voices and the guitar that grates. I started liking the Lucinda album but the more I played it the more it started to grate on me. I wish I could put my finger on exactly what it is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.